Author Topic: Passport office - ID card interrogation centre  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Passport office - ID card interrogation centre
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:59:32 pm »
Just a little heads up.
We know that one of the 69 centres for issuance of Passports and ID cards will be in Swindon.
We can assume it will have a town centre location...

Luton will also host an interrogation centre.
this from Luton on Sunday suggests a few more parking problems coming up...

It’s expected that the Luton centre would deal with 14,892 applications a year and from 2009 fingerprints will be put on passports so people will have to go into the office.

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/news/luton/2006/oct/29/identity%20card%20centre%20to%20be%20based%20in%20town.lpf
Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: Passport office - ID card interrogation centre
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 06:36:31 pm »
And one in Norwich...

>> Article here <<

Quote from: Norwich Evening News
A passport centre which has been branded the first step towards introducing controversial ID cards is going to be opened in Norwich - despite protests against the move.

The Home Office has been granted permission by Norwich City Council's planning applications committee to set up an “interview and administration” centre - one of 69 across Britain - at St Crispin's House, in Duke Street.

Hereward Cooke, Liberal Democrat city councillor for Lakenham, said: “I have a great deal of sympathy for the NO2ID campaign, but this has to be dealt with on a planning basis and we cannot refuse it. If it were to be used in the future for other purposes they would have to come up with another application.”

There were nine letters of objection to the scheme, with people saying it would cause traffic congestion, increase pressure on nearby car parks and lead to pressure groups campaigning outside the centre.

Council officers said there would be a maximum of 23 visitors to the site daily - with three rooms for doing 7,394 interviews a year.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline James

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:50:18 pm »
Please tell me the other sites are going to be a little bigger than this one.
At the quoted rate, it would take more than 100 years to get through the whole country if they are all the same size.

James

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 06:13:28 am »
Douglas Hogg raised the issue of passport interviews in the house yesterday..
The emphasis is mine.

Mr. Douglas Hogg (Sleaford and North Hykeham) (Con): Given the Prime Minister’s shameful refusal to come to the House to respond to the Iraq Study Group report, we will have plenty of time to discuss future passport policy. Will the Leader of the House keep in mind early-day motion 336?

[That this House notes that it is the intention of the Government that from the Spring of 2007 all first-time applicants for a passport shall present themselves for a personal interview and that from 2009 all applicants for a passport, including renewals, shall present themselves for an interview; further notes that the numbers involved are very great, being over 650,000 in 2007 and rising to an annual figure of around 6,500,000 in 2009 and beyond; believes that the provision of 69 interview offices to meet the demand will be quite inadequate for the purpose; and calls on Ministers to reconsider these proposals, in any event to greatly increase the number of interview offices that will be available, and to abandon the general requirement that applicants for renewal of passports shall submit themselves for a personal interview.]

The proposal for personal interviews for all passport applicants, including renewals, is a catastrophe waiting to happen and the House needs to discuss it so that we can call on the Government to change their policy.

Mr. Straw: I am not sure that it is a catastrophe waiting to happen, but as I was Home Secretary when there were one or two difficulties in obtaining passports I take such warnings with some seriousness. The idea of the interviews is to cut down on serious passport fraud, but I will raise the issue with my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary.
Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:30:06 pm »
This question upcoming in the Lords.

Tuesday 12 June at 2.30pm

*Lord Roberts of Llandudno to ask Her Majesty’s Government what progress has been made in implementing the proposal for 69 passport personal interview offices.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld/ldordpap.htm

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:44:16 pm »
Well I'll just make sure I stay at home then !!!!!!!! 

Do the interviews cover children?  Coz their passports are only for 5 years.  This means then for parents they could face an interview every couple of years?

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 10:56:05 pm »
The interrogations will first be conducted on 'first time passport holders'

If you hold a passport and haven't renewed it recently - do so, it does not have to expire for you tp renew it.
If you have a child nearing 16... the moment they are, renew their passport; it'll buy them 10 years liberty during which we will either` have had the Act repealed or turned the lights out.

The point of this post was to remind people that although we know we will have an interrogation centre in swindon, we do not yet know its site.
We`have several investigators on the job but still would like people to be vigilant and let us know when they do where the interrogation centre is planned.

Apart from the ghastly prospect of being asked allegedly 200 questions by the IPS interrogation people to get your new passport ( and wedge you onto the Identity register... but remember, it's volunatry - you don't have to go on the Register if you don't want a passport) applicants will likely add to the parking congestion in the RP areas..

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:56 pm »
I think they will be in the HMRC offices, this is because Mapeley run these offices and currently the Swindon HMRC has capacity for an 'Interview Centre'.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.