Author Topic: Mass non-payment of parking tickets - is this the way forward?  (Read 4427 times)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Mass non-payment of parking tickets - is this the way forward?
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:55:34 am »
Looks like the residents of one London borough have had enough:

Westminster Council owed £18m in parking fines

A London council is owed more than £18m in unpaid parking fines, a BBC Freedom of Information request has revealed. Westminster Council in central London has had 180,000 unpaid parking tickets over the last three years.

Almost 85,000 warrants have been issued as the council tries to chase the offenders.

The council said it would take those who owe money to court if they refused to pay the fines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11963890

Despite their threats, clearly there is no possible way that they can take 85,000 people through court. Maybe this is how we should take back our streets on a national basis?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline moley

• Hello !
Re: Mass non-payment of parking tickets - is this the way forward?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:47 am »

Despite their threats, clearly there is no possible way that they can take 85,000 people through court. Maybe this is how we should take back our streets on a national basis?

Thought you weren't happy with the students taking back our streets  :santa_azn:

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:55:48 am »
Thought you weren't happy with the students taking back our streets  :santa_azn:

The students can do as they please. Although, I don't think even they are claiming to be taking back our streets, they just want to take our money and not spend their own.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:17:04 am »
I don't think that's what they only want. This country needs students doctors, barristers etc ordinary people who have a gift for certain area's of speciality...if someone goes to Uni to better themselves and help the future generations and the future old folk (that's me and you 20) then I don't really care if they take my tax.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:39 am »
I don't think that's what they only want. This country needs students doctors, barristers etc ordinary people who have a gift for certain area's of speciality...if someone goes to Uni to better themselves and help the future generations and the future old folk (that's me and you 20) then I don't really care if they take my tax.

Ah, they're going to Uni out of a sense of civic duty? Silly me.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 12:08:37 pm »
Why would you not want to be a doctor then 20 eyes?

If I wanted to get rich quick (and not do a 7 year course) that's the last job I would choose.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:31:45 pm »
Why would you not want to be a doctor then 20 eyes?

It's never appealled to me, like most jobs don't. I do have a friend who's a GP though. £170k a year at 34 isn't a bad little number.

If I wanted to get rich quick (and not do a 7 year course) that's the last job I would choose.

I don't higher education particularly helps much for people wanting to get rich quick, regardless of their chosen speciality.

So, you really are saying that people go to Uni out of a sense of civic duty and so that they can devote the lives and careers to helping others? I'd love to ask a few of them about that at around midnight tonight in the Student Union bars...

Offline Drone

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:22:46 pm »
Looks like the residents of one London borough have had enough:

Westminster Council owed £18m in parking fines

A London council is owed more than £18m in unpaid parking fines, a BBC Freedom of Information request has revealed. Westminster Council in central London has had 180,000 unpaid parking tickets over the last three years.

Almost 85,000 warrants have been issued as the council tries to chase the offenders.

The council said it would take those who owe money to court if they refused to pay the fines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11963890

Perhaps these people should own up to their civic duty and repay the £18 million which this country needs?

Sorry - car related offence, so they shouldn't face any penalties even when regulations are clearly signposted...  :santa_rolleyes:
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 03:29:10 pm »
Perhaps these people should own up to their civic duty and repay the £18 million which this country needs?

Sorry - car related offence, so they shouldn't face any penalties even when regulations are clearly signposted...  :santa_rolleyes:

'Repay' the £18m? That's quite an interesting way of looking at it.

The real question is, 'What difference did it make to anything or anyone that cars were parked against the prevailing/arbitary whims of the local council on 85,000 different occasions?'

I suspect the answer would be, 'Nothing'.

Offline PAV

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:56:22 pm »
I would imagine most of the unpaid tickets in Westminster are owed by foreigners.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:04 pm »
I would imagine most of the unpaid tickets in Westminster are owed by foreigners.

Or dare I even suggest, due to being issued on cars that are of foregn origins. In a previous job I knew of a nice little trade being done by some of our Polish colleagues, who cottoned on to buying cars cheap and bringing them into the UK to sell to their work mates. No Car Tax and no Speed Camera fines…. Quids in all round

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 10:50:49 pm »

Or dare I even suggest, due to being issued on cars that are of foregn origins. In a previous job I knew of a nice little trade being done by some of our Polish colleagues, who cottoned on to buying cars cheap and bringing them into the UK to sell to their work mates. No Car Tax and no Speed Camera fines…. Quids in all round

Actually wasn't there a particular problem in Westminster with cars with diplomatic plates simply ignoring parking tickets and parking wherever they liked?

Would be interesting to know if this is included in this figure....

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 11:15:00 pm »
to be honest of you think Swindon's Parking Officers are harsh... just visit London.... absolute b'stards  :argh:

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 11:22:50 pm »
to be honest of you think Swindon's Parking Officers are harsh... just visit London.... absolute b'stards  :argh:

I know.. the main thing is not to get caught out by some of the esoteric timings on parking... Always read the signs very carefully.....

I have to admit I'm always amazed however how many cars I see stopping on red routes.... (and to be honest I think people who do that deserve every ticket they get)

Moley

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 11:37:37 am »
barristers

Need?

The laws are written, all we need is someone who can read.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.