Author Topic: August 4 200 press rel  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Michael Wills Replies....
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 02:33:43 pm »

Michael Wills Replies....

Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:48 PM
To: geoff reid
Subject: RE: From Michael Wills MP

Dear Geoff

Thank you for this email. However, I am afraid I do not understand why you have reached the patronising and condescending conclusions about me that you have. You asked me a general question and I gave you a general answer. If you would like to ask me more detailed and specific questions, I shall do my best to provide you with detailed and specific answers. I should also be grateful if you could send me your address so that I can confirm you are one of my North Swindon constituents.

You will be aware that the opposition to ID cards is based on both principled and practical grounds and I should be grateful if you could specify which concern you most. There is a libertarian objection which is sustainable (even though I do not agree with it for reasons I should be happy to detail if this is what concerns you) however practical or impractical the implementation of policy may be. Then there are those who object on practical grounds - in other words, they are prepared to accept ID cards but fear that their implementation may be too costly and/or ineffective. Much of the Parliamentary discussion has been confused about these two points and many in  the opposition parties have tried, as politicians sometimes do, to conflate the two issues. In my view, this is not helpful to a sensible discussion of an important issue.

Finally, I am afraid I see little purpose in spending time contributing to general discussions on a website which are inevitably limited to an unrepresentative and restricted number of my constituents.However, I remain willing, as I always have been, to answer any questions that constituents may have about my views and to do so as promptly and fully as possible.

Yours sincerely

Michael

Pretty much as expected.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: August 4 200 press rel
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 04:02:36 pm »
My, (presumably), last communication with Michael Wills.

Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:01 PM
To: 'xxxxx,xxxxxx'

Dear Michael

I'm sorry you found my conclusions patronising and condescending, they certainly weren't meant as such.

I can confirm that I am a constituent of your parliamentary colleague Anne Snelgrove, and have contacted you after she also failed to fully answer what was, afterall, a very straightforward and simple question.

I remain grateful that you have corresponded this far, and I understand fully that this will now cease on your part, however, while I still have your attention I would like to offer the following after you said:

" I am afraid I see little purpose in spending time contributing to general discussions on a website which  are inevitably limited to an unrepresentative and restricted number of my constituents. However, I remain willing, as I always have been, to answer any questions that constituents may have about my views and to do so as promptly and fully as possible."

The invitation to respond on the talkswindon forum was extended because many of your constituents have, (elsewhere), indicated that you are indeed, 'willing to answer any questions that your constituents have about your views, and to do so as promptly and fully as possible'.

This does not sit well with your first assertion, " I am afraid I see little purpose in spending time contributing to general discussions on a website which are inevitably limited to an unrepresentative and restricted number of my constituents".

I am reasonably sure that more Talkswindon members, (who are also your constituents), will shortly be asking very similar questions of you, and I would have thought it sensible that, if one, or more, of them also invites you to respond via the Talkswindon discussion forum, you could broadcast your message to them, and the wider electorate more efficiently than is possible with single, one-on-one communications, and only needing to give your reply to a specific question once.

Talkswindon may have, in your own words: 'an unrepresentative and restricted number of my constituents' enrolled as active members, but it is regularly viewed at length by several hundred 'unregistered guests' on a daily basis. I am forced to wonder, as other forum members might also do, why an elected politician would pass up the convenient chance to promote themselves and their party on a local interest forum, when the 'cost' is no greater than just a few minutes of their time, once in a while.

Talkswindon is clinging tenaciously to the belief that Great Britain is still a country who's citizens want, and encourage, freedom of speech, of movement, of activity and of privacy, so we would wish any visitor to the forum to be there voluntarily on their part, and without any compulsion on ours.

Regards

Geoff Reid

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 04:10:14 pm by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 04:08:27 pm »

Constituents can contact Michael Wills at the following offices:

email:  michaelwillsmp@parliament.uk

Swindon

Pinehurst People’s Centre

Beech Avenue

Swindon

SN2 1JT

tel:        01793 481 016

fax:       01793 524 483

Westminster

House of Commons

London

SW1A 0AA

tel:        020 7219 4399

fax:       020 7219 0911

email:   michaelwillsmp@parliament.uk

* In order to receive a prompt reply please include your full address in your email to Michael Wills

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 08:07:45 pm »
Just one more.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:14 PM
To: geoff reid

Dear Geoff

Thank you for this reply. I hope you recognise that I have no wish to evade questioning. But I can only answer what I am asked. Therefore I do not think it fair or accurate to characterise me as 'failing fully to answer questions.'

I am afraid that Parliamentary convention means I cannot engage in extended dialogue with those who are not my constituents although if you have colleagues who reside in North Swindon I shall be very happy to respond as best I can to their questions about this important issue.

I also hope you understand that I am not hostile to your forum. On the contrary, I think it is admirable. It is just that I have to focus what are inevitably finite resources in terms of my time and effort on my constituents.

I very much hope you will not construe this message as an attempt to avoid dialogue and scrutiny. It is not. And if it would reassure you that this is the case, I should be happy to meet you and your colleagues, as long as at least one of them is from North Swindon, to discuss these issues further. They are important. And as with all such important issues, there are no axiomatically right or wrong solutions. Politicians have to make decisions in an imperfect world, and they will not always please everybody, but we will only have a healthy democracy if they are prepared to be scrutinised and account for them. I am very willing to play my part in this process.

yours sincerely

Michael

Return:

Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:04 PM
To: 'xxxxx, xxxxxx'
Subject: Thank you.

Dear Michael

Thanks for replying, even though you were not obliged to.

I remain optimistic that you will visit the Talkswindon forum, and your constituents thereon, in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Geoff Reid

:tslogo:

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 12:31:08 pm »

Has anyone else here ever written to Michael Wills asking him to explain his support for id cards ?

Aren't a couple of conservative 'hopefuls', (who are also members here), constituents of his ?

What are their views on Michaels support, and have they ever written to Michael Wills themselves ?.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 10:33:28 am »

Bump.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.