Author Topic: August 4 200 press rel  (Read 4031 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lynda

  • Charter Member
  • Member
  • ****
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
August 4 200 press rel
« on: August 04, 2006, 12:42:06 pm »
This press release`went out this morning....

Lynda

                        August 4 2006

LOCAL CAMPAIGNERS DEMAND HALT TO ID SCHEME

As the Science and Technology Committee of MPs in Westminster publish yet another damning report on the Government's ID cards programme [1], local campaigners challenge Anne Snelgrove to explain why she supported the scheme - which is being exposed as more of a shambles with every passing week - and called for it to be stopped.

MPs were "incredulous" about the cost figures proposed by the Home Office, and accused it of keeping the public in the dark about the true purpose and detail of the scheme.

Geoff Reid of NO2ID Swindon said:

"Anne Snelgrove clearly can't have had a clue what she was voting for. The Government still can't explain or provide evidence on how ID cards will solve all the problems that it has claimed they will, and it has no answer to people's fears that their personal information will be abused, spread around or even sold. Assurances about keeping the system secure are laughable in light of the appalling track record of Government IT, and all this secrecy about the mess they are in at even this early stage just shows they can't be trusted.

"The people of Swindon deserve to know just how many hospital beds, school places and public services the Government is willing to sacrifice in pursuit of ID cards and the highly intrusive database behind them. Or is it simply going to tax our identity? Anne Snelgrove should listen to common sense and expert advice rather than blindly follow her party line against the best interests of her constituents."

Phil Booth, National Coordinator of NO2ID [2] said:

"Tony Blair wants his legacy to be the lifelong tracking of law-abiding citizens, compulsory fingerprinting and routine interrogation by bureaucrats
- as if we were all suspects. When the British public find out the true extent of this 'ID card' scheme, they come out resoundingly against it.
NO2ID and its supporters demand an immediate halt to this dangerous attack on freedom and privacy."

- ENDS -

Notes for editors:

1) Science and Technology Committee’s Sixth Report 'Identity Card
Technologies: Scientific Advice, Risk and Evidence' - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmsctech.htm

2) NO2ID is the UK-wide, non-partisan campaign against compulsory ID cards and the National Identity Register. For more info visit http://www.no2id.net

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:07:33 pm by Geoff Reid »
Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Geoff Reid

  • Active But Odd
  • Member
  • ****
  • Gender: Male
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: August 4 200 press rel
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:45:27 pm »
Quote from: Swindon Advertiser - Saturday, August 5, 2006

www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk

ID cards claim is rejected

SWINDON civil liberty group No2IO has challenged Anne Snelgrove to explain her support for identity cards.
A Westminster committee report has questioned how much the identity cards will cost, so the group has asked the South Swindon Labour MP to justify her decision.

Geoff Reid, of NO2ID Swindon, said: "Anne Snelgrove clearly can't have had a clue what she was voting for.
"The Government still can't explain or provide evidence on how ID cards will solve all the problems that it has claimed they will, and it has no answer to people's fears that their personal information will be abused, spread
around or even sold."

Mrs Snelgrove, pictured, strongly rejected the group's claim.
She said: "This was a commitment from our manifesto.
"International terrorism does not respect civil liberties. What I want is the maximum protection and security of identity for residents of Swindon."

In February MPs in the House of Commons voted in favour of compulsory ID cards, rejecting a House of Lords amendment to make the card voluntary.

Joint "biometric" passport and ID cards are likely to cost about £93, although cut-price stand-alone ID cards will be available for £30.

Hmmmm, still no full explanation but perhaps the Advertiser wasn't able to publish Annes quotes in their fullness.

Or perhaps Anne was as brusque with the Advertisers reporters as she has proven herself to be with her constituents whose opinions differ with hers over the issue.

Maybe Annes brusqueness is a smokescreen, behind which she is keeping her personal opinion well hidden.

Only Anne knows.....and thusfar she's kept quiet, apart from trotting out the party line, which is becoming more frayed and discredited by the day.....

Come on Anne, tell us what you really think about:

  • The semantics of the term 'Voluntary', as used in the Labour Party Manifesto 2005

  • 'Creeping Compulsion': Why the Identity Cards Act, like almost every new 'security' act brought in by your government, transfers more power to the state, while removing more rights from the individual

  • 'Feature Creep', and how government plans for Identity Cards and the National Identity Register become more expansive, more expensive and more intrusive each week

    Anne: You say:

    Quote from: Anne Snelgrove
    "This was a commitment from our manifesto.

    Do you believe that the commitment is a valid and neccessary one ?, if so, why ?

    Then you say:

    Quote from: Anne Snelgrove
    "International terrorism does not respect civil liberties.

    Hmmmm, this opens up debate in several different theatres of discussion, but one way to partially negate the cause of international terrorism is to stop your government from provoking it in the first place with a foreign policy which appears to be particularly beligerent towards the Middle East.

    Also, condoning and actively assisting rendition flights and operations, under the banner of 'National Security and anti-terrorist operations' is a massive betrayal of 'British' values and illustrates perfectly the hypocrisy with which your government soils our values, whilst Tony Blair is simultaneously and breathlessy informing the Americans that the 'war on terror' is all about showing our values to be bigger and better than anyone elses.....

    And:

    Quote from: Anne Snelgrove
    What I want is the maximum protection and security of identity for residents of Swindon."

    But I am a resident of Swindon and I am quite content that by exercising vigilance, and a small amount of normal, everday caution I will keep my identity as secure as it ever has been.

    I do not want the state to take charge, (and charge is the keyword here), of my identity, it's mine.

    I feel at a significantly lower risk of being blown apart by a terrorist bomb now than I ever did when the IRA campaign was in full swing.....(and let's not forget that Tony Blair is responsible for releasing many convicted IRA murderers, bombers and assassins, who are now walking the streets again as free men...who says terrorism doesn't pay, eh?).

    In any event, there is a determined campaign being prosecuted by your government which continually exaggerates the risk of international terrorism occuring on British soil.... it's transparent marketing....whipping up the perceived need for a particular product....which they can then 'conveniently' supply at an opportune moment.  ;)

    Anne, you said:

    Quote from: Anne Snelgrove
    What I want.......

    What about what I want ?.

    What about what everyone else wants ?.  :popcorn:

    [/list][/list]

    Offline ZPW

    • Film maker
    • Member
    • *****
    • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 02:42:12 pm »
    Ms Snelgrove's response to the press item is a bit dissappointing it has to be said.
    However....
    You have to give her credit for getting the adver to use a different photo from file.
    pashmina? Gone!
    Took a while, but eventually the penny dropped and rolled all the way through to the 'chink-chink' tray.

    remember the battle of the pink pashmina as you bear arms in the name of the ID card scheme. If you keep at it, really... she'll get it.

    Anne.... I am really doing my best for you here. pitch in sweetie, i really need you to see the databank light.

    karen leakey

    • Guest
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 06:57:01 am »

    Refer to link below

    Brown to let shops share ID card data:

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1838315,00.html

    Offline Jarvis

    • Member
    • *
    • Gender: Male
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »

    Thanks for the Observer link Karen  :)

    I used to think the NO2ID lot were a bunch of bearded sandal-wearing liberals, but every time I read reports like todays Observer I'm further convinced that the claims made by NO2ID are completely correct and not exaggerated at all.....even though the government has consistantly denied each and every one of them  :-\

    Gordon Browns admission seems to confirm that the government has been trying to keep the public in the dark about the extent of it's intentions for Identity Cards and the National Identity Register.

    The Labour party 2005 manifesto made no mention of it's intention to label, neatly package and make your identity available for sale by the state.

    There was an ambiguously elastic promise of 'voluntary' introduction of identity cards, so elastic and so ambiguous in fact, that the actuality of 'voluntary' introduction is merely compulsion re-branded by Labour spindoctors.

    If political Parties, and government, were bound by the same rules governing how, why and when information is released.....there would be an awful lot of politicians standing in front of High Court Judges overnight.

    How can you tell when a Labour Minister is lying about identity cards and the NIR ?

    Their lips are moving.  >:(

    Offline Alligator

    • Charter Member
    • Member
    • ****
    • Gender: Male
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 05:33:02 pm »
    When you consider Brown's comments and Bliar's comments on this thread http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=661.0, it reminds me why I have come to despise the labour party, Tony Bliar and Anne Snelgrove so much.    :knuppel2:

    I would say that I'm looking forward to the general election when we can hope that we may get a half decent government.  My only concern is that, as much as the tories claim that they don't support ID cards and the NIR, I just don't know if I should truly believe them to mean what they say and not just see it as a vote winner, which they can later blame on their predecessors.

    I think the best outcome at the next election may be a hung parliament where the smaller parties hold more power, that may make Tony/Gordon and Dave sit up and listen.

    Offline Tobes

    • Charter Member
    • Member
    • ****
    • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 06:39:51 pm »
    This was a commitment from our manifesto

    Top up fees, Annie? Any pangs?
    Wassat?
    - in case you're having trouble with selective vision and the old bi-focals. I'll type it again:

    TOP UP FEES

    ... do I remember a certain 'manifesto committement' on them too? If you're going to hide behind a trite excuse, at least pick one which is morally consistent - at least you'll stand out from your Labour colleagues.
    I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

    Offline Geoff Reid

    • Active But Odd
    • Member
    • ****
    • Gender: Male
    • Bald as a chimps arse
    As if by magic....
    « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 12:46:04 am »
    ....Gordon Brown sticks his head above the parapet and confirms many peoples worst suspicions:

    Your most intimate details, as stored on the National Identity Register, will be offered for sale by future Labour Governments.

    There's no denying it now..... government ministers have, over the last few months, grudgingly admitted that your medical history will be available through the NIR, high street shops will be able to pay-to-view your details as will foreign governments and intelligence services.

    The government has consistantly denied that these, 'feature creeping', facets of the scheme were ever intended.....

    .....but 'U' turns have been announced on almost every aspect of the 'voluntary' scheme, each one confirming the governments intention to include some feature that was previously, and strenuously, described as being not on the menu.

    Even after the House Of Commons Scientific & Technology Select Committee announce on Friday that the scheme was 'of no clear benefit' to British citizens, a source reported to be 'close to' Gordon Brown glibly announces:

    Quote from: A sycophantic tit
    'It's about people coming to accept that this is not only a necessary but desirable part of modern society over the next 10 years".

    Maybe on planet Blair it's necessary and desireable, but here in the United Kingdom those justifications carry no weight.

    The Government has advanced many different reasons why they claim Identity Cards and the National Identity Register are 'necessary and desireable', and one by one, each and every one of those 'reasons' has been shown to be false, unproveable or just plain wrong.

    More here: http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=675.msg3185#msg3185

    « Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:53:18 am by Geoff Reid »

    Offline Tel Hudson

    • Member
    • *
    • Gender: Male
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 01:37:37 am »
    I am afraid that Anne Snelgrove is a lost cause.  I have looked at her listings in Hansard and I have heard her speak at a public debate.  On every subject she simply trots out the party line.  However, as a resident of Penhill in North Swindon constituency I shall let you know of the results of my writing to Micheal Wills.

    Geoff, I trust you will not mind if I plagiarise your letter?
    I am right 96% of the time. I don't give an aerial intercourse about the other 5%..

    Offline Geoff Reid

    • Active But Odd
    • Member
    • ****
    • Gender: Male
    • Bald as a chimps arse
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 09:20:57 am »
    I don't mind at all Tel, help yourself  :)

    I'm not convinced Anne Snelgrove is a completely lost cause yet.....

    She strikes me as being tenaciously, and single-mindedly loyal when it comes to the Labour party.  When she finally realises that the leaders of that same party don't feel the same loyalty towards her, she might start exercising some free will at last.

    However, people like me can't afford to wait around in the, (perhaps forlorn), hope that she will come to her senses before our right to exercise freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of movement and freedom from oppressive state surveillance is completely and utterly removed by her government, with the backing of her party.

    Blairism is coming to an end, Brownism is just begining.

    Blair wants to exchange our liberty for security and 'modernity'.....

    Brown is a 'money-man' and wants to exchange our liberty for cash.....

    Both men, and anyone who assists them in this endeavour, are thieves of freedom.

    Offline newman

    • Member
    • *
    • Gender: Male
      • Socialist Unity Network
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 10:48:30 am »
    with regard to the Any Qusions debate, I thought it was typical of the poor reserach by the programms producers that they had a question about ID cards but none of the panel had any stoing views on the subject.

    two in favour, and two against only becasue they think the current government would cock it up, but were in favour in principle.

    there was a show of hands from the audeicne, and i would say 60% against ID cards.
    Another world is possible!

    Offline Lynda

    • Charter Member
    • Member
    • ****
    • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
      • NO2ID Swindon
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 11:15:36 pm »

    Interestingly, Anne's a member of the Science and Technology Committee which recent issued a damning report on the ID cards scheme. This was the report that gave rise to our press release of August 4th.

    Quoted from PDF page 4 of the report:

    Quote:
    Current membership

    Mr Phil Willis MP (Liberal Democrat, Harrogate and Knaresborough)(Chairman)
    Adam Afriyie MP (Conservative, Windsor)
    Mr Jim Devine MP (Labour, Livingston)
    Mr Robert Flello MP (Labour, Stoke-on-Trent South)
    Dr Evan Harris MP (Liberal Democrat, Oxford West & Abingdon)
    Dr Brian Iddon MP (Labour, Bolton South East)
    Margaret Moran MP (Labour, Luton South)
    Mr Brooks Newmark MP (Conservative, Braintree)
    Anne Snelgrove MP (Labour/Co-op, South Swindon)
    Bob Spink MP (Conservative, Castle Point)
    Dr Desmond Turner MP (Labour, Brighton Kemptown)

    Totals: LibDem 2, Conservative 3, Labour 6.

    However, Anne was absent at the vote on the final report - see PDF page 69:

    Quote:

    Thursday 20 July 2006

    Members present:

    Mr Phil Willis, in the Chair
    Mr Adam Afriyie
    Mr Brooks Newmark
    Mr Robert Flello
    Bob Spink
    Dr Evan Harris

    Resolved, That the Report be the Sixth Report of the Committee to the House.

    Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

    Offline Geoff Reid

    • Active But Odd
    • Member
    • ****
    • Gender: Male
    • Bald as a chimps arse
    Re: August 4 200 press rel
    « Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 11:01:35 am »

    It doesn't look like Michael is going to personally grace us with his presence..... yet, but here is an email received via one of his assistants email accounts.