Author Topic: Virgin Competition From Beardie  (Read 1390 times)

Offline swindoncentric

Virgin Competition From Beardie
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:37:35 am »
A frosty morning everyone, this was quietly in the press yesterday, of course, it's very interesting for us....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a289465/virgin-considers-public-wifi-network.html

As a sidebar, do any TS-ers use Virgin Media, what's your opinion of the service?

Offline Muggins

Re: Virgin Competition From Beardie
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:44:14 am »
Yes I do, I have no problems - hardly any in many years.  I understand it's  a bit of nightmare when something goes wrong but I have no experience of that. I want a reliable service like Virgin Media, i.e. I don't want to find out when anything goes wrong, because I don't want it to go wrong.

I just want it a bit cheaper. Only two problems, it's expensive to phone mobiles and expensive after the first hour of conversation, but I don't get many of them these days.

I notice that the article says 'thousands' of wifi points, surely if everyone was going to get wifi they would need more than 'thousands'?

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Ringer

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:47:20 am »
Oh no somehow I feel there will be another photo morph in the offing, fotoshop anyone beardie to  :fish:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
I use Virgin Media.

I swapped after the previous house move when BT turned out to be incompetent bumbling winkers. I think it took 5 weeks to get the broadband up and running. This was after I had been a very good boy and notified them of everything they told me to when they told me to. I got a bit belligerent and the kept sending me BT Homehubs, telephones and answer machines, I lost the plot when informed of the £150 they would charge to get someone off their arse to find out why the phone kept cutting out, they had me popping the front off sockets and I basically went a bit wibbley wobbly.

Went down to the old Virgin shop, got the phone, broadband and telly significantly cheaper than the then BT price.

Moved again quite recently and Virgin were tickety boo, the nice man said that because I wasn't playing silly buggers I could have all my packages free for 3 months. I was so impressed with them that, after some debate, we got one of them there clever boxes that can bugger about with recording, pausing, HD'ing and gawd knows what else, slung the old box in the bedroom. The two chaps who came out were on about their 10th job and knackered, but they were good as gold, quick, clean, tidy and amenable when it came to cable runs.

I'd agree that I get a bit of pricing envy when I see some of the new customer offers for various packages, but I figure that most of those are for the plain vanilla package, these things have a habit of creeping upwards.

I cannot presently imagine going back to BT or Sky and am pretty damn contented, though a tenner off would be nice.

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Drone

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:29:49 am »
BT and loyal, I'm afraid. Never had a problem and every so often they ring up with a better offer. Couldn't imagine swapping, would never dream of chucking more money at an untested provider like Digital City when phones, tv weren't thrown in too...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:52:06 am »
Who are Digital City? ;D

Offline PAV

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:04:22 am »
I saw an advert the other night for BT offering free use of their wifi hot spots with their home broadband package. It looks as if they already have good coverage over pretty much the whole of Swindon.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:01 am »
come to think of it Mart, I can't remember what happened when Virgin (NTL at the time) did our installation, but it must have gone well or I would.  I do remember when I had the broad band put in, I didn't watch what they wre doing outside and after they left I had discovered they had installed the cable half way up the wall part of the bay window, as we have pebble dash there the brown cable sort of made it look like a brown bread chocolate sandwich. I compained, within a few days they were back and redid it - neatly hidden now under the sill.  They were decent about the cabling indoors.

Every now and then I phone up and do the pensioner thing and I usually get some sort of discount for a certain time.  Last time I got a virgin box thingy free for life.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »
and Digital City proves to be a better investment by the day!!

aren't we run by accountants?

would have thought they would have known better?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.