Author Topic: Disney comes to town  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Disney comes to town
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »
Bogo, sorry don't understand 'bumping'. Are you saying he was some way to blame for his own demise?
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Paul Russell

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 07:00:51 pm »
Now, I may be overstepping my remit as Clerk to Stratton St Margaret Parish Council but I am devastated that Richard has been made redundant although he did intimate this some time ago. I took no notice as he was a top quality officer, a man that did epitomise the quality of public sector workers and one who worked with me to help deliver public services.

In my 20 years in the town and parish council sector I have been very fortunate to meet many high quality individuals who work for public bodies, people who undertake their role with enthusiasm, moral integrity and a sense of service.

The public and central government take great joy in denigrating public sector workers, blaming them for financial crises, suggesting they are overpaid and under worked and leeches on or society. Yet without these many committed individuals our public services would not operate.

In a previous post I indicated that public sector workers could only do what they were charged to do by their bosses, namely Councillors. Councillors act as the Board of Directors for local government, be it at parish level or unitary authority level. So when services are denigrated by the public remember that the level of service is directed by the chiefs, not the Indians!

As for Richard’s plight, I wish I was in a position to do something positive. He was an excellent officer, very knowledgeable and we did work closely together even if it was mainly through the medium of email! We did meet and sort out an issue which had been bubbling on the surface for quite a while. A ten minute meeting sorted a problem which had taken everyone over 2 years to solve. That is effective officer time! And Richard was instrumental in that.

So thank you Richard – you will be missed and you are a serious loss to the Parks Department.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »
Chav, it's such a shame then by 5pm this evening he was told he was redundant.

What ! !  !  !

NO WAY   :tickedoff:    :bash:

That is maddness - Richard is one of the most loyal, dedicated and hard working people I know !
Passionate about his work and and expert in his field of work !

So does this now mean that all the Parks and green spaces go to rack and ruin ?

Richard, if you do pop on TS and read this ''I am so sorry mate, you are one of the best "

Chav
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »
It is true then, both Richard and Emma have been made redundant this afternnon.

Will the last person leaving the parks department please turn off the light!! I never thought he would be the one to go. Thats devastating news for any one who cares about our open spaces. That news is going to upset a lot of blokes here at SCS in the morning.

R, if your reading this at any time, chin up mate.

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 11:52:23 pm »

And so it starts.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 08:56:08 am »
To add to them all of the compliments,  'colleagues' on the old neighbourhood Renewal Task Group, community people from Parks, Broad Green, Central have sent messages and regret for him.

As his mum, posting on here, I can see Richard get's more than perhaps other SBC employees would in the way of an airing about their redundancy. 

I hope, no I am sure that, everyone realises that these sentiments and upsets will be replicated  a thousand fold in the coming months.  :'(

When I tell the Orchard Group I'm not sure they won't take to the pruning forks..........and storm the citadels.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 01:13:20 am »
To add to them all of the compliments,  'colleagues' on the old neighbourhood Renewal Task Group, community people from Parks, Broad Green, Central have sent messages and regret for him.

As his mum, posting on here, I can see Richard get's more than perhaps other SBC employees would in the way of an airing about their redundancy. 

I hope, no I am sure that, everyone realises that these sentiments and upsets will be replicated  a thousand fold in the coming months.  :'(

When I tell the Orchard Group I'm not sure they won't take to the pruning forks..........and storm the citadels.

Hi muggins

Have found this all very hard to accept, Let Richard know we all feel for him, a deep gloom has settled over the parks teams. Most of us are in shock for what it really means...

If they will sack him, none of us are safe

Obviously other posters have seen in him that qualities we have all witnessed, it like losing one of the family :'(

:wakeup: SBC

TB
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Drone

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 06:20:02 am »
So all of SBC's talk about needing to respond to the budget challenges in a strategic, intelligent way was just BS. When it comes to the crunch, they cut decent front line workers. Like always. Still, we can take comfort in the fact that the senior directors chose not to take their bonuses this year and had to struggle by on their 6 figure saleries. We are all in this together, after all...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 08:09:23 am »
If, and I say If, the Irish bailout fails and the 7 billion we have lent to them defaults will it be another round of public sector cuts to make up for the shortfall? I think this bloke and the Allotment person, are the tip of an iceberg.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:40 am »
Ringer, they already are the tip of the iceberg, well NO, not the tip of the Iceberg, the tip went as long ago as ten years.  I know that the Parks team now is just an drink's ice cube and melting fast.

I've seen this happen in other departments: Community Development for instance, and well might you say 'what was that for?' but it had the experience and expertise that is needed to get the 'Big Society'going, because that won't happen if it doesn't get a push and a shove, in fact it is so far back in it's armchair it will need a bloody battering ram to get it going.

Now with something like Parks and open Spaces - there they are, real and growing, who or what the hell is going to happen to them. Richard will go on, he will survive, etc., but our parks and open spaces????????????????????

Offline Ringer

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 08:35:50 am »
I think that melting fast is a very good observation, 10  years ago it began to retreat, but has it now accelerated under this council?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Muggins

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 08:38:26 am »
My goodness yes and yes and yes. Everything, everything, everything.

If anyone can think of an area of growth please let me know.

Recycling maybe?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:45 am »
Area of growth you ask.
What about Little Boy Bluh's Wifi?
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:19 pm »
Blu's Wifi  has not reached me, I have arranged for my own, I am using it.

I see no growth.   

I see no ships, only hardships...............

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 06:47:01 pm »

Yes, and twice in the last two weeks Justin Tomlinson has mentioned him as an empitome of a good officer, to me personally, in fact so fulsome in his praise I was embarrassed. Then in public at VAS AGM (well that was just a mention).

So if he is that concerned perhaps JT will have a word and get him re instated?

Or is this just a case of an MP kissing the babies?

Offline Ringer

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:02 pm »
So if he is that concerned perhaps JT will have a word and get him re instated?
Or is this just a case of an MP kissing the babies?

Justin Tomlinson is just an MP he has no power in the council.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 09:17:19 am »
Richard, probably not so much kissing the babiy as flannelling the granny.

And of course Richard is concerned, he actually enjoys most of his job and cares about Swindons green places.  Apart from that he needs job.

Just imagine if he can't get one, he'll be one of those long term unemployed that are so despised on some of these threads.

He could become so demoralised by the loss of this job, he could become ill with depression and then demotivated like so many before him.

He could find himself under experienced or under educated - or even over educated enough to get one of the fewer job with loads more people after them.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.