Author Topic: Wi Fi delays - a small minority responsible  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
Wi Fi delays - a small minority responsible
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:18 am »
According to Coun Perkins (Adver 6 Nov) "A small minority of people in Swindon were preventing Digital City from operating properly" - yet another silly comment from the lips of a man who really does know better.

Incidentally there is nothing like a 'large minority' as all minorities by definition are 'small' .

No one is preventing Digital City from operating, properly or otherwise.  The issue I have is that Digital City is not operating.  I know I am wasting my time, but perhaps Coun Perkins can explain just how the minority is preventing DC from operating.

The criticism of the project is being directed at SBC, no one is able to influence DC's performance but they have been paid the cash to perform so why is there no movement in terms of a full Borough wide installation?  Swindon taxpayers have paid their money and are entitled to receive the fruits of their 'investment'

As for Coun Perkins's plea that 'people come and speak to us - that is simply a waste of time.  I met with Coun Perkins and it was clear that he was not going to accept any criticism of the Wi-Fi project.  He very patiently listened to me and answered some of my questions (on a number of subjects) but sadly just like his leader his latest comments show how he resorts to the use of silly 'put me downs' when he has nothing constructive to offer. The 'investment' of £400,000 to DC is nothing like a pension fund investment in BP - the essential difference is that DC is a real risk as identified by the credit agency references obtained by SBC - they wouldn't recommend lending DC £500 whereas SBC saw no problem in lending them £400,000.

I was pleased to see that Coun Perkins conceded that the Highworth phase should have fully operational before any committment was made to extend the network.  This is somewhat negated by the subsequent decision of Coun Perkins to support the variations to the original loan conditions by which he agreed to relax the performance criteria to fairly meaningless levels

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Wi Fi delays - Minority Report
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:11 am »
According to Coun Perkins (Adver 6 Nov) "A small minority of people in Swindon were preventing Digital City from operating properly" - yet another silly comment from the lips of a man who really does know better.

Incidentally there is nothing like a 'large minority' as all minorities by definition are 'small' .

No one is preventing Digital City from operating, properly or otherwise.  The issue I have is that Digital City is not operating.  I know I am wasting my time, but perhaps Coun Perkins can explain just how the minority is preventing DC from operating.

The criticism of the project is being directed at SBC, no one is able to influence DC's performance but they have been paid the cash to perform so why is there no movement in terms of a full Borough wide installation?  Swindon taxpayers have paid their money and are entitled to receive the fruits of their 'investment'

As for Coun Perkins's plea that 'people come and speak to us - that is simply a waste of time. 

Minority report? I wonder who they are? Cllr Bob Wright has asked cllr Perkins section 15 questions in full council and was told to ask the company directly :o
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Wi Fi delays - a small minority responsible
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:40:34 am »

I find it extraordinary for him to admit that we have had that much influence!!  Had we received answers to the questions we put to the Council would this pRoject have actually proceeded more quickly?  I suggest not because it was fundamentally flawed on Day one.

Minority report? I wonder who they are? Cllr Bob Wright has asked cllr Perkins section 15 questions in full council and was told to ask the company directly :o

Councillor Perkins' protection of Digital City, a company for whom he is a Director, is one akin to an Armour Plated Durex where nothing (Information) will come out!

Offline Ringer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:41:31 am »
Warning Will Robinson Warning Danger Danger said the Robot:

Be careful or the tories may bring to bear on you intolerable pressure.

Under the tories  be afraid if you:

Scrutinise

Speak Out

Challenge

Even Labour politicians appear to have backed away from their own to have restricted comments to the quill pen of the council system about their budget proposals they released to the Adver after Rod called them irresponsible?

Be afraid be very afraid, you are alone out there Des with your minority, Richard in Burma you can get 59 years in prison for satire be warned.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Drone

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:41:48 am »
There was I driving out to Highworth each weekend, donning my tin foil suit and blocking the Wi-Fi net. There was me, letting the air out of Rikki Hunt's tyres. There was me, demolishing lamp posts so the wi-Fi hubs couldn't be installed.

Cllr Perkins, I can only apologise for the destructive impact of my actions that have prevented DC from opertaing properly.

Hang on, wait a minute...I haven't done any of those things. By 'preventing DC from opertaing properly", are you still labouring under the insane delusion that our unquestioning trust in the whole sorry affair will compensate for all the massive cock-ups that have turned a bad idea into an appalling waste of time and money?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 11:49:50 am »
There was I driving out to Highworth each weekend, donning my tin foil suit and blocking the Wi-Fi net. There was me, letting the air out of Rikki Hunt's tyres. There was me, demolishing lamp posts so the wi-Fi hubs couldn't be installed.

Cllr Perkins, I can only apologise for the destructive impact of my actions that have prevented DC from opertaing properly.

Hang on, wait a minute...I haven't done any of those things. By 'preventing DC from opertaing properly", are you still labouring under the insane delusion that our unquestioning trust in the whole sorry affair will compensate for all the massive cock-ups that have turned a bad idea into an appalling waste of time and money?

You don't need to do anything the thing fails as they used to say in the RAF the operation failed due to 3Ps Piss Poor Planning. Could the councillor be doing nothing more than blame all his fears about the reality of the situation he now faces  onto a Bogey man. He probably still believes that the little Elves in the fairytale may  give up shoe making and come to Swindon as Wi-Fi technicans? Not a bad idea about time that fairy tale was given a modern makeover  :2funny:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 01:01:28 pm »

By that definition there could also never be a "small majority"  ;)

Offline James

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »
Does anyone else wonder if that minority includes the people who haven't bothered to put a planning application in yet...?

:angel:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:09:57 pm »
Touché! James. Excellent comment.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:36 am »

Thank you Lamplighter Tanstaafl, not just for dropping yesterdays adver through my letterbox, but also for your note  ))))

Swindon Advertiser Saturday 6th November 2010: The Self Immolation of Councillor/Director Perkins continues...

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:08 am »
Councillor/Director Perkins said:

Quote from: Councillor/Director Garry Perkins
"I wish people would come and talk to us if they have a problem, but it has to be in a positive way.  "Going through reports to find things that are not 100 per cent right is not helpful - business doesn't operate like that."

I realise that Perkins' hopes his remarks will be accepted as truthful by readers who are not as wifi'asco 'aware' as readers of Talkswindon tend to be, however, anyone who has attended council and asked 'unhelpful' questions of Perkins and the rest of the Bluhligan team will be well aware that there is no such thing as 'talking to them' reasonably.

I penned a few words recently about the experience of some people who wanted to 'talk to' Councillor/Director Perkins and his mates.  It wasn't pretty and was covered extensively in the Swindon Advertiser

Also typical of the arrogant 'Emperors New Clothes' mentality of people like Bluh & Perkins that they invite you to talk to them, but add the caveat that it "has to be in a positive way".

Perkins can try to slip, slide and bullshit his way through this.  He can try to pass the blame for the failure of Digital City and the loss of £400,000 - £450,000* onto people who have done nothing more than conduct the scrutiny and due diligence that the Council should have, but didn't, perform itself.

Perkins can spout spittle-flecked nonsense about us 'going through reports to find things that are not 100 percent right'  as he wishes, but his comments will remain nonsensical spouting long after the spittle has dried on his chin.  For a long time it was evident that we knew far more about Digital City (UK) Ltd, aQovia Ltd, aQovia Group and aQovia Isle of Man than anyone in the council.  Unlike Councillor Perkins & Bluh, we bothered to check the facts and compare them against what was being claimed by Cllrs Bluh, Perkins & Co.  What did we find?  Time after time we found that they were either very confused or repeatedly telling lies.  What was strange though, was that: after questioning which companies SBC was actually involved with, and receiving the expected denials from Bluh & Co, we subsequently witnessed and recorded shares being moved from one company to another and Directors names being changed on the Companies House public records the very next day.

Some of us were considering whether that we were observing multiple companies being set up in preparation for a fraudulent operation.  The jury is still out on that, and probably will be until the money has all gone and the companies are dissolved without submitting accounts.  The public record will remain though.

The public record does not lie Councillor Perkins, and you have not at any point claimed that any part of it is incorrect.  From day one parts of the wifi pRodject have looked fraudulent.  The councils involvement has been provably incompetent and the political handling of the wifi'asco by conservative councillors shockingly corrupt.

Ordinary people know where the blame lies Councillor Perkins. You can shout as loud as you like and protest otherwise, but you won't change that unless you have access to a time machine.

* We're still waiting for confirmation of the exact amount - no one seems to know

Offline DavidPayne

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:24:12 am »
Minority Report? - Wasn't that a portentious Sci-Fi thriller with Tom Cruise where a future society used savants suspended in some amniotic-like fluid to resource their massive mental powers subliminally to forecast when an individual would commit a crime, invoking a conviction for criminal predisposition with ensuing cryogenic incarceration to pre-empt the event!?

Not that I am one to wish time away but half-a-mil' is half-a-mil' .....

Offline Drone

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 12:41:45 pm »
"I wish people would come and talk to us if they have a problem, but it has to be in a positive way.  "Going through reports to find things that are not 100 per cent right is not helpful - business doesn't operate like that."

I'm sure the Fraud Squad might disagree...

Nice to see GP is so relaxed about doing business with the council. I'm sure they'll take the same attitude when the Dial-a-Ride tendering process starts.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »
I have just posted the Swindon 105.5 radio program on my blog, discussing wi-fi with Steve Wakefield and Des Morgan.

http://chriswatts1967.wordpress.com/

Offline Ringer

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:57:35 pm »
Can Cllr Perkins prove his allegations about the minority? Will that include members of the scrutiny commitee that referred it back to cabinet?

Offline James

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:43 pm »
"I wish people would come and talk to us if they have a problem, but it has to be in a positive way."  "Going through reports to find things that are not 100 per cent right is not helpful - business doesn't operate like that."

How many of the criteria for the second tranche of money were met, without "adjustment"?
Nearly 90%?
Nearly 100%?

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 04:23:00 pm »

I'm sure the Fraud Squad might disagree...

Nice to see GP is so relaxed about doing business with the council. I'm sure they'll take the same attitude when the Dial-a-Ride tendering process starts.

Interestingly in my experience supporting tender responses, anything that wasn't 100% right usually came back to haunt us....  so I wish our customers took such a laissez faire attittude to tender responses!

Moley

Offline Drone

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:08 pm »
I wish people would come and talk to us if they have a problem, but it has to be in a positive way.

Hey - it's Swindon Borough Council's number one problem. We want you to engage with us, or else we'll ignore you and call you apathetic. However, you must agree with us in every respect, or else we'll see you as negative and destructive.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 11:25:39 am »

Funny isn't it?, the 'Bonkers in the bunker' videos seem to become even more relevent and accurate as time passes.  :clap:

At what point will cabinet members stop lying about this?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 01:51:21 pm »
This thread is called: "Wi Fi delays - a small minority responsible"

With the above, and Councillor/Director Perkins comments about 'delays' - and who caused them, firmly in mind, let's have another look at what Rod Bluh & Rikki Hunt were saying on the 17th of November 2009.  Visit the following URL and watch the video clip.

Please listen carefully for the dates mentioned.

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/latestnews/latestnewsheader/news/newsitemdisplayv2.htm?itemid=135507

After watching this video again I have submitted the following FOI request:

Dear Swindon Borough Council,

Context:

The www.swindon.gov.uk council website is currently displaying a news item entitled: "Swindon Council makes the internet free to
all"

The full URL is: http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/latestnews/latestnewsheader/news/newsitemdisplayv2.htm?itemid=135507

Embedded within the news item is a video which bears the Swindon Borough Council Logo. The video is dated 17th November 2009.

The video features leader of the Council Roderick Bluh and local entrepeneur John 'Rikki' Hunt, Current Managing Director of Digital City (UK) Ltd.

The video, at the time of submitting this question, is hosted by www.swindonweb.com and apparently has been hosted by that company since November 2009.

FOI Questions:

1. Who commissioned the making of the video?

2. Did Swindon Borough Council pay for the video?

3. If Swindon Borough Council paid for the video how much did it pay for it?

4. Are there other ongoing costs being paid by Swindon Borough Council in relation to this video, e.g, hosting & administration charges? If so, what are the payments for and how much are they?

5. Who owns the copyright to the video?

Yours faithfully,

Geoff Reid

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.