Author Topic: Digital City Casts It's Beady CCTV Eye on Broadgreen  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
Re: Digital City Casts It's Beady CCTV Eye on Broadgreen
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:26 pm »
Interesting that the adver are not allowing comments on their article, I wonder why?

Digital City Director and Deputy Leader of the Council Councillor Garry Perkins again enthuses about the achievements in Highworth.

How many other companies are involved in the tendering process?

Is this a done deal and a means by which additional funding can be fed back into DC?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:31:53 pm »
I have submitted the following letter to the adver:

In response to the “Rikki’s wi-fi firm in bid to run cctv” column on Saturday 30th October 2010. I am very concerned about the behaviour of Cllr Garry Perkins with regards to a tender that is in progress. It is unheard of that a Council representative would be seen to be publicly endorsing a tender bid of one company over the rest before a decision has been made and the contract awarded. Garry Perkins is a small business owner and must understand that tendering for business is costly and time consuming. To show this lack of understanding towards the tender process is, quite frankly, shocking. If I was one of the other companies tendering for this project I would be looking for compensation for time wasted.

This episode only serves to vindicate my original concern that SBC involvement in Digital City as a major shareholder has created an uneven competitive playing field and is a slap in the face for local businesses. It has not escaped the public notice that Cllr Perkins is a director on the Digital City board and that the Managing Director of Digital City is the Chair of the Swindon Strategic Economic Partnership whose board members include the  Council's Chief Executive and Councillors.

It is actions like these that give this town a bad name and will discourage companies from tendering for future business from the council. This perceived incestuous practice must be stopped for fear of Swindon being labelled as a rotten borough and therefore impeding  much needed inward investment.

Chris Watts
Dunsford Close
Swindon

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »
Didn't Rod Bluh complain that when he originally came to Swindon it was a place in which it was difficult to do business?

Nothing changed then especially as Rod is now in a position to open up opportunities.

Can't even detect an even playing field of opportunity if Rikki Hunt is in pole position for this work.........

or as I have already asked is this an opportunity to feed more funding into Digital City?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »
or as I have already asked is this an opportunity to feed more funding into Digital City?

Very true Richard:

Bump from May 2010:

13 users, that 2 more than about 2 months ago, is Rikki actaully trying to sell this, or does he know SBC will support his buisness anyway so doesn't have to bother with actually trying.

Funny you should say that Tea Boy. As I posted before, when I asked Cllr Perkins (Digital City Director) about the latest figures he replied that it was never about that.

As far as i can see the good people of Swindon have a choice in ways to pay for this.
1. We can sign up en masse, paying in directly to provide the required capital to allow Digital City to finish the project or
2. The council can sign up to use wifi services in which we pay via council taxes.

I suspect that the amount the council would have paid for using the WiFi would have been off-set by the quantity of households and businesses that signed up. Not much to off-set at the moment. :-\

As far as selling this to other councils, then i suppose that is possible when you look how easy our council jumped into this deal. If other councils decide to conduct a modicum of due diligence and research then I feel the game is up. :'(

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:11 am »
Chris I think we always suspected there was another dimension to this business, which makes the whole episode more than fundamentally dishonest.

I would like to know why they didn't come clean on the whole plan in the first place?

Was this the Unique Selling Point and the bit required to remain Confidential?

Is this type of use of Public Money Legal?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:50:43 pm »
Chris I think we always suspected there was another dimension to this business, which makes the whole episode more than fundamentally dishonest.

I would like to know why they didn't come clean on the whole plan in the first place?

Perfectly legal as  far as I am aware. 
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »

Perfectly legal as  far as I am aware.

So what legal constraints are placed on this or any other Council, Councillor Steve, to follow a process of going out to tender then, having lent money to one of the companies tendering for the work?

I wonder what Judge Pickles would make of all this clandestine behaviour?

Offline Drone

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

Is this type of use of public money ethical by any definition of the word?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 06:46:34 pm »
Does that not depend on your definition/interpretation of the word ethical?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Drone

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »
I guess so. Here's a definition or three:

eth·i·cal (ĕthˈĭ-kəl)

adjective
1.Of, relating to, or dealing with ethics.
2.Being in accordance with the accepted principles of right and wrong that govern the conduct of a profession. See Synonyms at moral.
3.Of or relating to a drug dispensed solely on the prescription of a physician.

If we ignore the first and third, does the council's handling of Digital City, and in particular, supporting Digital City in its bid to provide CCTV in Broadgreen, accord what we belive are the council's professional ethical standards?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »
Looks like 2. could apply to any organisation.  :-\

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:53 pm »
council's professional ethical standards

Now, there's an arrangment of words you don't see too often.

If I may offer my philosophy by way of an option. It is based on sweeping generalisations, minimal research and wind direction. Very similar to the WiFi project come to think of it.

I take the view that any form of administration, governance or service provision that is led by people who think a shared political affiliation imbues them with an ability to lead any form of administration, governance or service provision is doomed to failure. This is because administration, governance and service provision require calm, confident leaders skilled in the ways of the sector in which they are working. Not braying fools who go moist when they hear rhe ramblings of Davenicked. (Who are so similar they could be triplets and for all the principles they appear to have were awarded their rosettes in a raffle)

I find that this very, very, very low level of expectation equips me to cope with the rigours of modern life quite well. I suffer few disappoinments because I expect the worst from those that many, to me perversely, expect the best.

I sleep very well.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 01:53:11 pm »
Apologies for my late arrival  ;D

A couple of initial observations:

Charley Morgan reported the Deputy leader of Swindon Borough Council andBoard Director of Digital City (UK) Ltd - Councillor Garry Perkins - as saying:

Quote from: SBC Councillor/ Digital City Director Garry Perkins
“They have proved that wi-fi does work and 95 per cent of Highworth now has wi-fi coverage.

I can find no measure published or minuted by Swindon Borough Council which estimates the wifi 'coverage' of Highworth by Digital City (UK) Ltd at being any greater than 90%  (even the 90% claim is an exaggeration in my humble opinion although I'm happy to be proved wrong if Councillor Perkins or Rikki Hunt would care to supply their coverage maps for us to independantly verify)

I believe that Councillor/Director Perkins 95% coverage claim to be a fabrication and I challenge Councillor/Director Perkins to prove it. 

Charley Morgan also reported the Deputy leader of Swindon Borough Council andBoard Director of Digital City (UK) Ltd - Councillor Garry Perkins - as saying:

“This is more about CCTV and Digital City has always said that part of its package would be to offer add-ons such as CCTV coverage.

More about CCTV?, is this the same Councillor/Director who has waxed lyrically about 'broadband access being a major political issue' and berated people for not recognising the importance of broadband accessibility for businesses in the South West.  Does Councillor/Director Perkins no longer champion the Government’s “Digital Britain” imperative and the delivery of broadband access before its target of 2017?

Is Councillor/Director Perkins re-writing the commercial aspirations of Swindon Borough Council/Digital City as quickly as he can think of them and his lips can spill 'em?

Charley Morgan records that Deputy leader of Swindon Borough Council andBoard Director of Digital City (UK) Ltd - Councillor Garry Perkins - also said:

“Rikki Hunt has already been working in partnership with CCTV companies, so this is not unexpected or unusual.”

I think we'd all like to know who with and where please?   :)

I think what is 'unexpected' and 'unusual' is that the Deputy Leader of Swindon Borough Council seems to be confused as to which hat he's wearing and to whom his primary loyalties should lie.  My understanding was that Councillor Perkins role as a Director on the board of Digital City was to observe and protect the taxpayers 'investment' in the company.  When did Councillor/Director Perkins become chief of PR/spin for Digital City (UK) Ltd and Rikki Hunt?

What is also 'unexpected' and 'unusual' is that Councilllor/Director Perkins seems quite happy to openly support/tout on behalf of Digital City in a tendering process for Council business, yet he is fully aware that Digital City has yet to finish any stage, or genuinely pass any significant progress measures for the project it has already received £400,000 to £450,000 of public money to supply.

Isn't Councillor/Director Garry (2 R's) Perkins on very thin ice here?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:01 pm »
I'm very sorry to introduce a boring technical aspect to the CCTV thing. I'll try to make it as interesting as possible to the technophobes. (I hope I get this correct but Chris'll put us right.)

CCTV is "Closed Circuit Tele-Vision". It is where the transmission is "closed" i.e. it is not transmitted through the air electomagneticaly. Instead it goes along copper or fibre optic cables in a closed circuit.

So a question to Rikki, "When is CCTV not CCTV Rikki?"  (Rikki answers) "Well we are still researching this and need more money......"

Put this in your growing technical manual Rikki, "CCTV is not CCTV when it is tramsmitted by Wi-Fi, it then becomes just TV."

What is a significant difference between CCTV and TV? It is fairly difficult to interefere with CCTV operation but it is simple to intercept or jam a Wi-Fi system. Imagine someone controlling the cameras and watching the output from his bedroom in .............................. (fill in blank space.)

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »
That geezer Perkins, busy ain't he?

I expect the mugs that elected him are well chuffed with his 'output'. Who could have known they were electing a top notch technical type guru?

Or guessed it would have absorbed so much of his formidable energy and intellect.....

Oi, Perkins,empty the feckin bins!
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »
I'm very sorry to introduce a boring technical aspect to the CCTV thing. I'll try to make it as interesting as possible to the technophobes. (I hope I get this correct but Chris'll put us right.)

CCTV is "Closed Circuit Tele-Vision". It is where the transmission is "closed" i.e. it is not transmitted through the air electomagneticaly. Instead it goes along copper or fibre optic cables in a closed circuit.

So a question to Rikki, "When is CCTV not CCTV Rikki?"  (Rikki answers) "Well we are still researching this and need more money......"

Put this in your growing technical manual Rikki, "CCTV is not CCTV when it is tramsmitted by Wi-Fi, it then becomes just TV."

What is a significant difference between CCTV and TV? It is fairly difficult to interefere with CCTV operation but it is simple to intercept or jam a Wi-Fi system. Imagine someone controlling the cameras and watching the output from his bedroom in .............................. (fill in blank space.)
Sorry OoT. CCTV is no longer restricted to coaxial cable. It can also use wired or wireless network connections. The security is in the encryption of the data but the pay-off is, the higher the encryption the worse the performance. There is some pretty serious encryption techniques out there at the moment.

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 09:06:07 pm »
Surely these new cameras can be "tagged onto" the existing CCTV system already in place through other parts of Town.

Would it need a completely "new" system ? :popcorn:

:angel:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »
Actually the Councillor in charge of the CCTV project made it clear he was talking about 'mobile CCTV) and not static cameras. The CCTV will be monitored by SCS and i doubt it will be accessible by Broadgreen residents via Wi-Fi or any other medium, in fact I believe it would be illegal under data protection laws for residents to access what is a CCTV system covering public areas.  Doubtless someone out there knows the law on this - please do comment

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.