Author Topic: Promise 8 Wi-fi when is a complaint not a complaint, or a promise not a promise?  (Read 5386 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Steve Wakefield

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male
Cllr Bob Wright asked some section 15 questions at Full Council about wifi and received no response other than he would have to ask the board, however the person giving that reply was cllr Perkins who is Deputy Leader and sits on the board. Perhaps cllr Bob was content with that response? Members of the public asked questions at Scrutiny, Cabinet, Scrutiny and Cabinet and answers were late in coming, or so I am lead to believe.

However Promise 8 states (From SBC website):

Promise 8

"We will respond to 100% of customer complaints within 10 working days. Councillors will review complaints received about Council services so that they are more aware of areas that need improvement.

Progress

Over the last six months, performance for responding to complaints within 10 days was: March 91%, April 93%, May 86%, June 90%, July 95%, August 92%.

All services, excluding Adult Social Care, now manage and track customer feedback using the Council's customer relationship management system, Lagan, which has moved from ProActive. Services were transferred to Lagan in four phases: the first phase going live at the end of April 2009 and the final phase at the end of August 2009. Lagan training was provided to all affected staff together with training on how to manage complaints effectively.

We have introduced procedures to chase up complaints on the fifth and eighth day after receiving them to ensure all customers receive a response within our target of 10 days. Further effort is required to ensure all customers receive a response to their complaint within the target. We are introducing improved monthly reporting to senior managers and councillors in October. This will raise awareness and is expected to lead to further improvements.

I am sure that the council would agree with me that promise 8 must also apply to emails and communications sent to cllrs and as we know they are not always answered in line with promise 8 assurances.  It is said by some  Cllr Perkins says he does not do emails and some people have emails to that effect. What I cannot understand is that Cllrs are given email addresses and these are published and people are informed that they should use them to contact the councillor. See the SBC website. This does not add to the confidence of the public ehen they submit emails to cllrs asking questions or seeking information. Here are 15 questions that need to be answered, will it be that under promise 8 they will have to be submitted as a complaint to get an answer?

Can a constituent in Swindon North write to Justin Tomlinson MP and ask him to ask these questions in Parliament? Preferably one who lives in Highworth, I ask this  as a resident of Swindon South he will refer me to my own MP.

1. Can SBC confirm that the £50k retention remains unpaid to Digital City UK Ltd?.

2. What is the exact number of individual account customers using the WiFi facility in Highworth?.

3. Of the total number of individual account customers using the system in Highworth, how many are paying for the service?

4. How many commercial accounts have been signed up in Highworth?

5. What is the position with regard to the start date for WiFi to be installed in the Town Centre area of Swindon ?

6. What is the anticipated date for a full Borough Wide coverage?

7. Is it still the opinion of SBC that beyond year 2 the projected net profit of Digital City UK limited, without selling the business model to other council’s will be £700k?

8. Is it still the opinion of SBC that the loan made to-date will be repaid before the end of September 2011 or even by the end of December 2011?

9. In the event the loan is not repaid by the end of 2011 will SBC consider enforcing the condition enabling them to find an alternative provider?

10. In the event the loan is not repaid by the end of 2011 will SBC grant an extension to the loan period and if so will this be on different terms to the existing arrangement?

11. At the outset of the project On page 15 of the Cabinet Member Briefing Note Digital City UK Ltd were granted free use of accommodation at the DMJ Tower for a period of 12 months. Now that the 12 months has elapsed what is the position with regard to the provision of free accommodation at the DMJ Tower ?

12. Will SBC and Cabinet agree that the over optimistic view of this projects success as outlined in the original business plan and presented in a subsequent Cabinet Briefing Note warrants an independent review into the likelihood of Digital City fulfilling any of its medium term objectives

13. In the Briefing Note it was recognised that “If the service is not sustained or does not deliver as expected, this will reflect on the Council”.  Does SBC and Cabinet recognise that to-date the service promised has not been delivered, some of the stated plans supporting the project have not occurred or if they have they have not been sustained.

14. Why does the Deputy Leader of the council, who is a member of the wifi company board not answer questions put to him by councillors and refers them to the company.

15. When will the Deputy Leader answer the first 13 questions that have to my knowledge been in existence since the end of September 2010 and were actually emailed to him then?

Finally what complaints and communications does promise 8 actually cover as there appears to be no definition readily available?
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Outoftowner

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male
  • Hello !
Do we have any TS members in Hoghworth who can run with this? If we do have members there can they please also give an update if they use the W-Fi and what is it like and how they hear the Wi-Fi service is used / considered by others?

Offline Outoftowner

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male
  • Hello !
Sorry Highworth.........umm Hogworth?....it was a slip honest.

Offline Richard Symonds

  • Member
  • *
Come on Garry time to decide where your bread is buttered so please, as my local councillor and assuming you want votes next time, answer these questions.

Failure to do so could see the Conservatives lose Shaw and Nine Elms reckoned to be one of the safest seats in Swindon or is that the reason why you behave in this way?

Offline Steve Wakefield

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male
Come on Garry time to decide where your bread is buttered so please, as my local councillor and assuming you want votes next time, answer these questions.

Failure to do so could see the Conservatives lose Shaw and Nine Elms reckoned to be one of the safest seats in Swindon or is that the reason why you behave in this way?

Actually I live in the same ward and I am sure there is a definite possibility of a maybe, that Cllr Perkins will respond to you very quickly unless you have not got email and then it may be all academic anyway.  :smiley6600:
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

  • Member
  • *
I received this 'sort of' reply from Garry Perkins on June 17th 2009

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your recent email, which I acknowledge receipt of on behalf of Cllr. Perkins.  Please let me confirm Cllr. Perkins rarely answers any emails I respond to all his emails as required and pass on information to the relevent departments after discussing the email content with Cllr. Perkins.

As I work for Garry as his PA in the businesses he runs, I as a favour deal with his Cllr. Perkins emails, phone enquiries and therefore I don't always have the time to send acknowledgement correspondence to the sender.

However, I can assure that action is always taken on all emails received in his inbox.

Kind Regards,

Lorraine

Lorraine Richardson
PA to Cllr. Perkins - Lead Member for Children's Services
TEL: 01793 432832
FAX: 01793 432843
EMAIL: ecp@swindon1.fsnet.co.uk

Message Received: Jun 16 2009, 07:06 PM
From: "Richard Symonds"
To: "Garry Perkins" , "Keith Williams"
Subject: Bramptons Recycling

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I have left Nick out because I know he is away, but i have raised the issue of the recycling and the way it is effected or otherwise before (probably directly to Fionuala).  The lids are scattered around and the one in the foreground would have to be removed for this neighbour to access his drive and this is not acceptable.  Also you will see two cartons that have been dropped and left in the background and another photo in the other direction follow with ones of my previous incidents.

Please advise and please suprise me Garry by doing your first response to one of my emails since you were elected.  That would be nice.

Regards,

Richard Symonds

Two photos to follow.

You have been sent 1 picture.

RIMG0011.JPG

If this is dealing with constituency business I had to think what isn't!

Offline Steve Wakefield

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male

From: "Richard Symonds"
To: "Garry Perkins" , "Keith Williams"

[...]

As I said before I believe others have been told that he does not do emails and some cllrs (Lead Members Included) do not answer emails from other cllrs so when the public tell me this  ::) I say  :smiley6600: them. So why does the council issue email addresses? In my opinion Cllrs should remove their email addresses forthwith from the website if they do not use this communication medium.
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

  • Member
  • *
So is 'Lorraine' a Borough PA? or GP's business PA?  How does that work then?

Why doesn't he answer at least some of own emails? Odd
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline DavidPayne

  • Member
  • *
Something is burning (apart from the 'truth' that is) - there's a whiff of more than intrigue, a higher note even than the searing incandescence of outrage at the reckless way SBC has funded this 'Wi-Fi' scheme, those hyena-banks cackling in their oak offices at a folly to better their own. It’s coming, just you wait, that 'bonfire of the council vanities', a true conflagration as this deal goes up in flames.

I've got a fiver says that the company will go broke and the completely unsecured half-a-mil., like the gay magician, will disappear with a 'puff'!

Then will be the time to sack the council offices - count me in!

Offline Geoff Reid

  • Active But Odd
  • Member
  • ****
  • Gender: Male
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Is Perkins illiterate?

It's a serious question. I've known people go to inordinate lengths to disguise their illiteracy and, rather than admit to it, they have tried to hide it behind remarkable degrees of obnoxiousness and aggression.

Offline Drone

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Female

Is Perkins illiterate?

I typed that into 'Ask Jeeves', but he didn't know.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Steve Wakefield

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male

Is Perkins illiterate?

It's a serious question. I've known people go to inordinate lengths to disguise their illiteracy and, rather than admit to it, they have tried to hide it behind remarkable degrees of obnoxiousness and aggression.

Next you'll be claiming that councillors letter/speeches are received and replied to by a political assistant; that is not paid for by the parties.  :o
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Ringer

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Female
What is the role of a political assistant?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Geoff Reid

  • Active But Odd
  • Member
  • ****
  • Gender: Male
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Next you'll be claiming that councillors letter/speeches are received and replied to by a political assistant; that is not paid for by the parties.  :o

'Claim'?

I can prove that, in some cases, they are  :)

Offline Ringer

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Female
'Claim'?

I can prove that, in some cases, they are  :)

Is the political assistant post more important to the organisation/people than a care worker or a day centre staff post or a Library assistant, or a DAR person or a ................. ? Yes the leader could be correct correct after all about tough choices need to be made when making savings of the best part of 6 million squids?  :coffee: (I am feeling better now coffee is reviving.)
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

  • Member
  • *
So who pays for the services of the two Political Assistants presently in post in Swindon?

The Conservative and Labour Parties or the good Council Tax Payers of Swindon?

If the latter surely there is a cut worthy of consideration here?

Offline Chav

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Female
  • INNIT!
Whoo hoo

Virgin Media is rolling out 100mb Broadband in December !
I'm there  O0
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Steve Wakefield

  • Member
  • *
  • Gender: Male
Whoo hoo

Virgin Media is rolling out 100mb Broadband in December !
I'm there  O0

100Mb but what is the average upload and download speed?
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Ben Reid

  • Member
  • *
It will probably fluctuate between 2.5 meg and 40 meg depending on peak transfer times, I would be surprised to see anything over this as its generally speeds up to 100 meg on shared bandwidth

Offline ph1lc

  • Member
  • *
  • Hello !
Download speeds usually average 75-80%.

Upload speeds are much slower - with Virgin 50mb - current upload speed is 1.5mb, although they plan to increase it to 5mb

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.