Author Topic: BBC Click  (Read 2844 times)

Offline peach

BBC Click
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:51:13 am »
Up too early with the toddler this morning and caught the end of BBC Click (episode here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/default.stm)

Interesting section about how South Korea is deploying countrywide Wifi based on Wifimax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiBro

Apparently the future lies in something called LTE : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution - which has already been deployed across Oslo and Stockholm.

Seems 802.11g (standard wifi as we know it - and what Digital City is supposedly deploying) is already dead in the water..

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: BBC Click
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:03:34 am »

I suppose it gives Mr Hunt another semi-plausible, (in the eyes of the uninitiated), excuse for his WiFailure:

"Digital City, being a small company, just couldn't keep up with the speed of technological advances"

Offline peach

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:37:36 pm »
There's no excuse for taking £500k of tax payers money and delivering bugger all for it..  All this shows was that the concept was already out of date before the loan was given  :spin:

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:09 am »
... and shows the importance of both a public debate and an open tendering process.

When is the next deadline for DC to demonstrate what they have (or haven't) achieved using rate payers money?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:48:34 am »
Unless anyone knows different, I don't think that there are anymore deadlines that Digital City can fail to meet. I think that we just have the, more or less, open ended statement by Rikki Hunt on BBC Radio Wiltshire that he needed another year from September. So it looks like he sets his own deadlines.

I do belive that an earlier post on the mathematics of the project showed that by next September Digital City will be broke, the "investment" having been consumed by salaries. I expect by then we will also have the next fantastic project underway.

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »
At what point will the rotation of spin reduce to a standstill - so that we can ask for

A. Our free WiFi,
B. Our money back or
C. The resignation of the architects of this undemocratic and obviously flawed project for the wastage of half a million pounds at the precise time at which cuts are being implemented
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:59:13 pm »
At what point will the rotation of spin reduce to a standstill - so that we can ask for

A. Our free WiFi,
B. Our money back or
C. The resignation of the architects of this undemocratic and obviously flawed project for the wastage of half a million pounds at the precise time at which cuts are being implemented

In reply;

A. You can't have something that aint there,
B. You can't have something that aint there and
C. You can't blame us. It was all the fault of that TS lot.

:angel:

Offline Drone

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 06:05:29 pm »
^ What's the betting the council didn't keep the receipt, anyway?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:28:26 pm »

A. Our free WiFi,
B. Our money back or

'snot for the lack of trying. I nicely reqested that Rod resign at the last council meeting by suggesting that "the Wifi Project, as expected, has been an abject failure against all stated business objectives and revised targets." He disagreed with my summary and beleives the project is still moving forward. :D

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »
Has anyone had sight of a contract between Aquovia and SBC that brought about Digital City?

I suppose that it would be foolish to ask if there were any penalty clauses for failing to deliver.

I'm afraid that all I know about the law is that I mustn't ride my bike at night without lights. So, does anyone know if the law assumes that a delivery of some kind must be made in a contract and if it is not, the contract being unfulfilled, means that compensation must be paid?

(Or am I thinking wishfully?)

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:53 pm »
Has anyone had sight of a contract between Aquovia and SBC that brought about Digital City?

I suppose that it would be foolish to ask if there were any penalty clauses for failing to deliver.

I'm afraid that all I know about the law is that I mustn't ride my bike at night without lights. So, does anyone know if the law assumes that a delivery of some kind must be made in a contract and if it is not, the contract being unfulfilled, means that compensation must be paid?

Rikki Hunt did let slip in the evening adver' that SBC would be subject to a penalty if they withdrew.

The October 2009 cabinet briefing note states that if Digital City default on the loan that the hardware becomes the property of SBC. It was wrongly expected that the value of the hardware would be enough to guarantee the loan. The loan is interest only repayment on £400,000 over 2 years with the £400,000 having to be repaid at the end of the two year period.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »

Quote from Outoftowner

Rikki Hunt did let slip in the evening adver' that SBC would be subject to a penalty if they withdrew.

The October 2009 cabinet breifing note states that if Digital City default on the loan that the hardware becomes the property of SBC. It was wrongly expected that the value of the hardware would be enough to guarentee the loan. The loan is interest only repayment on £400,000 over 2 years with the £400,000 having to be repayed at the end of the two year period.
[/quote]

Who drew up the contracts that placed 'us' in the invidious position?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:35:42 pm »
Who drew up the contracts that placed 'us' in the invidious position?
Who drew the contracts up is not so important. The question is, who in SBC read the contracts and thought that would be a good idea and dutifully duly signed them?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.