Author Topic: Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?  (Read 7446 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:07 am »
I don't know what the presnet situation is, but a at good few meetings I've ben to in the not too distant past, the subject of house building numbera has been discussed.   It is always worth looking at houses that are standing empty - I don't mean council houses, there is a pretty swift turn around on them now.  Compare empty houses with housing need.

We discovered some time ago that Housing Assocation housing is much more expensive to rent, so if say, and unemployed family in housing need goes into Social housing, they need housing benefit to help pay that rent.  They then find that unless they get a really good job, the housing benefit drops or goes completely and they simply cannot afford to pay the rent and live.  i.e. those in housing Association housing in work were more deprived than those out of work in council housing. 
As all rents are going up to that level - we can expect some major downturns in the poverty trap.

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Drone

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 06:04:47 pm »
I'm sure everything will be better once we push adult social care into a series of trusts, charities and private companies. It's worked so well for social housing!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 07:00:25 pm »
Muggins, I think there are nearly 2,000 house standing empty in Swindon.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 09:38:55 pm »

I wonder how many of them are owned by property companies in which Rod Bluh & Rikki Hunt have an interest?  (Serious question).

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »

I wonder how many of them are owned by property companies in which Rod Bluh & Rikki Hunt have an interest?  (Serious question).

It's also noticeable that properties around where I am that are up for sale are not shifting particularly quickly and I've heard of people having to drop prices significantly to get a sale... (probably to 2004-5 price levels which is lower than official surveys).

So at the moment I'm not sure there's a shortage or properties in Swindon - but there might be a shortage of properties that people want at a price they can afford.

Still they're probably waiting for poor families on housing benefit to get driven out of London:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/oct/24/exodus-poor-families-from-london

Moley

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:45 pm »
As I believe the Chair of the SSEP sits on the board of Forward Swindon, has the board of FS discussed the impact of 150,000 houses  for Swindon, or is it something for their agenda ?
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »
I think Mr Hunt must have meant build some of them here, rather than all 150,000. Ehere would you put them? On the M4?
I believe the 150,000 was based partly on rents up to 80% of market value. I don't think they will get anywhere near this number.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 06:22:51 pm »
Swindon, Greater London?
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Drone

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »
“The Government is talking about building 150,000 new homes to help the social housing scheme, then I say build them here in Swindon. Let’s get on the bandwagon,” he said.

He could mean some, he could mean all. You never know with Rikki. Chances are, he's rapidly setting up a social house building company that will soon be funded by the local council to provide 150,000 free homes by the end of 2011...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 07:13:03 pm »
“The Government is talking about building 150,000 new homes to help the social housing scheme, then I say build them here in Swindon. Let’s get on the bandwagon,” he said.

He could mean some, he could mean all. You never know with Rikki. Chances are, he's rapidly setting up a social house building company that will soon be funded by the local council to provide 150,000 free homes by the end of 2011...

Don't you mean by the end of 2010 Drone?

Offline Drone

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »
If not by the end of November 2010. Knowing Rikki, in 2020 we'd still be waiting for the first house to be built as he didn't realise the bricks needed cement to hold them together.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:03 pm »
Aha!
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »
As I believe the Chair of the SSEP sits on the board of Forward Swindon, has the board of FS discussed the impact of 150,000 houses  for Swindon, or is it something for their agenda ?
This opens up many questions.
As a FS non-exec director does the chairman of the SSEP have a vote on the board of FS?
Is it just an advisory and guidance position?
Should a position of non-exec director be afforded to an individual who has benefited in the past from funding under the auspice of town centre regeneration?

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »
I don't want any of you naughty people saying that's a picture of Parks!

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:58 pm »

"Forward Swindon  is the economic development company for Swindon and is responsible for the delivery of economic growth in the borough."

"The SSEP is directly charged with the delivery of the Economic Development & Enterprise block of the Local Area Agreement, and coordinates enterprise activities alongside an exciting new agenda of business growth and innovation."

Seems to be a bit of overlap. Who is the big dog? Am i missing something?

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »
This opens up many questions.
As a FS non-exec director does the chairman of the SSEP have a vote on the board of FS?
Is it just an advisory and guidance position?
Should a position of non-exec director be afforded to an individual who has benefited in the past from funding under the auspice of town centre regeneration?

How was the Chairman of the SSEP appointed ? Was he elected ? Can he be removed if it is found he has a vested interest ?

:angel:

Offline Ringer

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 09:12:33 pm »
Who are the current Directors on the Board? I was once told that we have a Director on the Board, but was that FS that was being discussed?

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »
Is this yet another cuckoo in the nest or the same one that seems to be in every nest in town ?

Is it time for a cuckoo cull ?

:angel:

Offline Drone

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 06:53:11 am »
Unfortunately their website is desperately out of date. Understandable really. Can't think of much IT or electronics expertise amongst the business community in Swindon... ahem

Based on the out of date info, the SSEP Management Board includes Bill Cotton from SBC (Now at Forward Swindon), David Evans from SBC (I think also Forward Swindon), Mike Pringle form the Cultural Partnership (also now in Forward Swindon) and Cllr Phil Young, who left the council at the last election.

Can't any bright spark find the current board structure?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2010, 07:07:03 am »
Is it anything like Councillor now ex Phil Young, Cllr Rod Bluh, Rikki Hunt, John Hunt, John Rikki Hunt. JR Hartley of Fly Fishing Fame Hunt? If so  it looks like the Hunt 4 has it, may have bagged it?  :2funny: (apologies it is early in the morning and I have not had 3 cups of coffee yet)
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.