Author Topic: Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Re: Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »
This is all very interesting Councillor Steve, but surely our man Rikki would not be representing these organisations on his own behalf and must therefore enjoy the approval of what he says in his esteemed capacity?

How can he be lampooned on this site and on the adver comments section and yet apparently enjoy the confidence of these organisations?  Is it that they have no other voice and what Rikki thinks goes as they say?  Or is it that he does actually speak on their behalf?  I know we have at least one FSB member on this site who will undoubtedly want to comment!

He also continues to enjoy the confidence of our Council Leader Rod Bluh who is a successful Accountant by profession and Garry Perkins who also enjoys a successful Sales business.  How could this situation sustain if it were otherwise, although I can say as a Professional Salesman myself there is nothing like a salesman to bullshit another salesman.  It goes with the territory and Accountants are fair game as well for a good pitch!

And with no further news on Wi-fi and the wonders of their customer base you have to ask how does Rikki do it?

Thank You Richard. As the Acting Vice Chairman of the FSB Swindon Branch I can confirm that we, the FSB, have a seat on the board of the SSEP in order to represent our members. This does not equate to the SSEP representing or being able to speak for our members in any form. I would be surprised if this stance was not echoed by the Chamber of Commerce and Business Link although I can not speak for these organisation.

I am not aware of any SSEP membership as such, except for the 95 companies that have signed the business charter:

http://www.ssep.org.uk/ssep/projects/businesscharter.htm

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:56 pm »
From what I can read, this   SSEP group elected Mr Hunt, so he really cant be that bad

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 08:58:54 pm »
From what I can read, this   SSEP group elected Mr Hunt, so he really cant be that bad

As you appear to be well informed about the election, what is the constitution of the group? How do they elect the chair? Is there an AGM? Is it open to the public? As public bodies funded by taxpayers are involved in the SSEP can they (tax payers)  have a say? Or is it only open for private Business and quangos only?

Here is another link  about the SSEP  on local area agreement:
http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/swindonslocalareaagreement/newpage-94.htm

The website the above link is from
http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/swindonslocalareaagreement.htm

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:34 pm »

As you appear to be well informed about the election, what is the constitution of the group? How do they elect the chair? Is there an AGM? Is it open to the public? As public bodies funded by taxpayers are involved in the SSEP can they (tax payers)  have a say? Or is it only open for private Business and quangos only?

Here is another link  about the SSEP  on local area agreement:
http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/swindonslocalareaagreement/newpage-94.htm

The website the above link is from
http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/swindonslocalareaagreement.htm

So the SSEP has members who represent a few of Swindon's larger employers and some of those that represent many smaller ones. So how did Rikki get included as a individual, when he represents himself or his buisnesses, which lets face it aren't that large or that numerous?

Was it happy accident, public spirited action, official call to public duty or special handshake ?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 09:57:45 pm »
So the SSEP has members who represent a few of Swindon's larger employers and some of those that represent many smaller ones. So how did Rikki get included as a individual, when he represents himself or his buisnesses, which lets face it aren't that large or that numerous, funny handshake or large cheque?

I don't move in that kind of circle myself.... but I'm guessing that a lot of people on there may not have time to become chairman / representative of that group in other groups.  So if there's someone who really wants to do it they are probably quite likely to float to positions of influence in such an organization..

Moley

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:12 pm »
So the SSEP has members who represent a few of Swindon's larger employers and some of those that represent many smaller ones. So how did Rikki get included as a individual, when he represents himself or his buisnesses, which lets face it aren't that large or that numerous?

Was it happy accident, public spirited action, official call to public duty or special handshake ?

I don't move in that kind of circle myself.... but I'm guessing that a lot of people on there may not have time to become chairman / representative of that group in other groups.  So if there's someone who really wants to do it they are probably quite likely to float to positions of influence in such an organization..

Moley

So if you know that to start with and you want to manipulate the group, you put some one in the group with time on thier hands who will smarm his way to the top. Instant influence.....

Interesting
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 10:11:31 pm »
[So if you know that to start with and you want to manipulate the group, you put some one in the group with time on thier hands who will smarm his way to the top. Instant influence.....

Interesting

I'd put it a different way.... my uncle is involved in a lot of assorted business groups - actually he's a former civil servant who when he "retired" ended up working in various positions in industry.  He's been in a number of high profile positions in a number of different groups - primarily because he has a strong sense of public service (he doesn't get that much financially out of it).

But he's complained a lot about how few people are prepared to take on positions of responsibility....

(you see it in other walks of life too)...

So whilst the cynical interpretation could be placed, I'd be more general and say that the pool of people prepared to do stuff is often small..... and the motivations of each individual may be hugely different (not dis-similar to councils or any other bodies).

Moley

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 11:27:18 pm »
[So if you know that to start with and you want to manipulate the group, you put some one in the group with time on thier hands who will smarm his way to the top. Instant influence.....

Interesting

I'd put it a different way.... my uncle is involved in a lot of assorted business groups - actually he's a former civil servant who when he "retired" ended up working in various positions in industry.  He's been in a number of high profile positions in a number of different groups - primarily because he has a strong sense of public service (he doesn't get that much financially out of it).

But he's complained a lot about how few people are prepared to take on positions of responsibility....

(you see it in other walks of life too)...

So whilst the cynical interpretation could be placed, I'd be more general and say that the pool of people prepared to do stuff is often small..... and the motivations of each individual may be hugely different (not dis-similar to councils or any other bodies).

Moley

I absolutely agree, our society does need more people from all walk of life to step up into public life.

But Rikki and SBC seem to be inseperable at the moment. It does seem as if nearly every where Rod Bluh makes an appearance in public, Rikki Hunt is holding his hand under a multitude of guises

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 11:45:10 pm »

But Rikki and SBC seem to be inseperable at the moment. It does seem as if nearly every where Rod Bluh makes an appearance in public, Rikki Hunt is holding his hand under a multitude of guises

Hunt certainly has several different LinkedIn profiles and multiple different biographies which are wheeled out and published where appropriate. At present he seems to be favouring CV's and biogs which do not mention Digital City (UK) Ltd

It is absolutely accurate to describe him as having a 'multitude of guises'.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 11:57:56 pm »

Hunt certainly has several different LinkedIn profiles and multiple different biographies which are wheeled out and published where appropriate. At present he seems to be favouring CV's and biogs which do not mention Digital City (UK) Ltd

It is absolutely accurate to describe him as having a 'multitude of guises'.

It's a bit like when you watch Watchdog... as soon as they mention that there's a group of inter-related companies you know something dodgy is afoot...

Moley

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06:10 pm »
A bit like Farepak Hampers Moley.

Allegedly moving money around there caused their failure?

Funny how we never hear of them any more and it raises the question did the unfortunate subscribers ever see any of their money back?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 12:28:34 pm »

Yes. I think it was 5p, (or possibly 10p), in the pound.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

Yes. I think it was 5p, (or possibly 10p), in the pound.

I heard something similar but has it actually been paid out?

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »
Barmy idea. We need no more houses

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 11:41:57 am »
Barmy idea. We need no more houses

One presumes from your comment that you already have a house. I suspect the extra houses are to ease the shoratge affecting those without a house. They ( those without ) probably think differently from you.

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »
I rent wth my girlfriend and quite happy with that. I do hate the lack of parking but more houses mean more cars. the town centre is gridlocked most mornings and more houses will make it worse.

You seem to be starting from a position that the country should build as many houses as needed for those without. utterly bonkers to think that will work, or should be allowed to work

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »
I rent wth my girlfriend and quite happy with that. I do hate the lack of parking but more houses mean more cars. the town centre is gridlocked most mornings and more houses will make it worse.

You seem to be starting from a position that the country should build as many houses as needed for those without. utterly bonkers to think that will work, or should be allowed to work

so what's your solution then (with people living longer etc. and with increased numbers of single person households (e.g. due to bereavement or divorce)

Euthanasia?

Moley

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 10:16:44 pm »
I was listening to the Graham Mack show on BBC Wiltshire sound the other morning, as I do.
He often does his 'Graham Polls' and this particular morning he was asking ''Should people in council housing inherit'' (family members who live with parents /grandparents for example - should they inherit the house when they pass on) or ''should people be given a council house on merit''.

It was interesting as I see where there could be lots of moral issues wrapped up in this e.g, if you live with a parent who has a three bed council house (the other kids have grown up and left home), the parent dies, you get the three bed house, but you are single or your boyfriend lives with you, but you haven't any dependents, then is it unfair to a family who need a three bed property.

I can imagine that this is a huge debate within its self.

Imagine living in a council house all your life, bringing up your children, they grow up , leave the nest , then your nearest and dearest passes on - you are living on your own in a three bed property , you have lived there for all your married life, you are now a widow in your late 60's. Is it fair to ask that person to give up their home for smaller accommodation ?
Again, its that 'moral thing'.

What do other people feel about this ?

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 10:43:13 pm »

Imagine living in a council house all your life, bringing up your children, they grow up , leave the nest , then your nearest and dearest passes on - you are living on your own in a three bed property , you have lived there for all your married life, you are now a widow in your late 60's. Is it fair to ask that person to give up their home for smaller accommodation ?
Again, its that 'moral thing'.

What do other people feel about this ?

I've wondered about this in a wider context for a long time....

when the debate comes up about council funding and whether a rates  council tax system is fair (the look how few resources a single  person in a house actually uses), one very strong argument I can see in its favour is that it is the only thing in the whole taxation system which encourages people not to live in a house bigger than they need (this is equally applicable in council housing and the private sector).

I'm kind of going through this debate with my father - as he gets older the house he lives in (which I grew up in) is definitely getting to be too much for him....

I have to admit I was horrified at the coverage this week of "hereditary" council houses.  In retrospect I knew it happened, but it just hadn't registered!  Once I thought about it I know of people who are in council houses who are actually in pretty well-paid jobs, and I think such people should be given the choice between buying the property (maybe at some sort of discount) or giving it up to someone who actually needs it...  For people who are harder up, I think the issues are much harder.

(Maybe you should suggest this for Martin Lewis's moral dilemna section on his weekly newsletter??)

Moley

Offline Drone

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 06:28:54 am »
If you are in paid work (even very well paid work) and in a council house, you can stay there as long as you want with a very high level of servicing for the property from the housing association. However, the amount of available social housing is now so small that if you are in work (no matter how low paid) your chances of getting a council house are nil.

If the long term goal of the new coalition government is to turn welfare into a short term option, then council houses will be something some people have for short periods of their life until they return to paid work.

Anyway, considering RH's comments seriously, I'm not sure how clustering the counctry's entire social housing building into one small borough would do anything but create problems for the town and those new council house tenants. Would we be able to craete 150,000+ new jobs to help them in their passage off welfare? No. Would we have the amenties/infrastructure to support more than doubling the size of the town? No. Would we even be able to supply all those new homes with our famous free wi-fi? Of course!*

*Only joking...
derp derp herp herp derp

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.