Author Topic: Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:10 pm »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8464960.Mixed_reaction_to_the_Coalition_s_cuts_plans/

I don't do you?

PS Do our MPs? (who are so quiet on these Libdem coalition cuts its deafening).
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Drone

Re: Who Wants 150,000 Houses in Swindon?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:14:38 pm »
Even now, we have many important businesses based in Swindon - Intel, RWE, Motorola, Honda, BMW, Zurich, Nationwide... why is Rikki @^&#ing Hunt the only business spokesman the Adver talks to? The man is an idiot, and a dangerous one at that.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »
Even now, we have many important businesses based in Swindon - Intel, RWE, Motorola, Honda, BMW, Zurich, Nationwide... why is Rikki @^&#ing Hunt the only business spokesman the Adver talks to? The man is an idiot, and a dangerous one at that.

Because probably the leaders of the large businesses are too busy running their businesses, and are don't need to go round trying to get funding from the council...

Moley

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »
I have heard it said by the Leader of the Council a couple of council meeting ago that when Labour left control of the council, they had left no connections with business in the town. However I think the leader may have just been  talking up this administration's connections? I wonder if Chris Watts has an opinion on whether one person can speak for all the business in this town?

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:38:45 pm »
Thought Motorola were on their way out of Swindon Drone?

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:21 pm »

No - they've moved/are moving to a smaller location (they don't need that big building having significantly cut their staff here).

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8092789.Motorola_prepares_to_move_to_Kembrey_Park/

Moley

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:43:14 pm »

No - they've moved/are moving to a smaller location (they don't need that big building having significantly cut their staff here).

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8092789.Motorola_prepares_to_move_to_Kembrey_Park/

Moley

Thanks for correcting me Moley so they are not a big player anymore then?

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 05:47:16 pm »

As far as I know they still employ several hundred people (same with Alcatel-Lucent in Westlea) but nothing like as many as they did 10 years ago due to the general downturn in Telecomms.

I'd view both as being bigger players than Digital City - but they what do I know.....

Moley

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 05:53:40 pm »
15,000 houses in Swindon. Am I allowed to use a term like Rikki Hunt is a complete dickhead? Has he got a position with a building company?

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:08:58 pm »

Am I allowed to use a term like Rikki Hunt is a complete dickhead?

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:37:04 pm »
I have heard it said by the Leader of the Council a couple of council meeting ago that when Labour left control of the council, they had left no connections with business in the town. However I think the leader may have just been  talking up this administration's connections? I wonder if Chris Watts has an opinion on whether one person can speak for all the business in this town?
Personally, I would have thought that Emma Faramarzi, chair of the FSB Swindon Branch, would have been in a better position to comment on behalf of local businesses as she represents 846 businesses in Swindon. I am not sure who else Mr Hunt represents.

(Declaration of Interest: I am a committee member of the FSB Swindon Branch)

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »
15,000 houses in Swindon. Am I allowed to use a term like Rikki Hunt is a complete dickhead? Has he got a position with a building company?

Not unless SCS are going into housebuilding  ;)

Just imagine it. 150,000 social houses. 15 or so new schools, a new reservoir to supply water, a new sewage treatment plant (what goes in must come out) to name just a few. And very little rates return, the unemployed don't pay any.

What a well thought out statement from a leading businessman, I don't think.  :idiot2:

:angel:

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23:05 pm »
Just a quick question, anyone got any idea where they might be going, I think North Swindon would be out of the question as tadpole and pry are already underway...besides its on Tomlinsons patch and even the land is not within the borough were still going to end up paying for it.

I still haven't seen his crystal clear message,
Spin, Spin , Spin

My suggestion is to throw this plan out of the window for the time being until it is easily achievable WITH the co-operation of the local community and infrastructure, seeing as the current housing market is on a bit of a wobble with osbornes CSR which is putting extra pressure on the electorate to do things for themselves....There is another way to get the houses built, use camerons big society idea and get people to volunteer to build them.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Drone

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 06:50:10 am »

As far as I know they still employ several hundred people (same with Alcatel-Lucent in Westlea) but nothing like as many as they did 10 years ago due to the general downturn in Telecomms.

I'd view both as being bigger players than Digital City - but they what do I know.....

Moley

Out of interest, any idea how many people Digital City employ within the borough?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Drone

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 06:55:05 am »
I have heard it said by the Leader of the Council a couple of council meeting ago that when Labour left control of the council, they had left no connections with business in the town. However I think the leader may have just been  talking up this administration's connections?

I think the Conservative administration have squandered many of the good business connections they might have had.

In truth, by foucsing so much on the views of one person (Rikki Hunt), they are not engaging with the wider business community. His priorities are probably not their priorities, which I guess would have far more to do with taxes and rents, local amenities and education than showy pronouncements to the local press. All of this would be dismissed as the ravings of a self-agrandising fool if he didn't have Rod's ear. And chequebook.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:54:42 am »
I think the Conservative administration have squandered many of the good business connections they might have had.

In truth, by foucsing so much on the views of one person (Rikki Hunt), they are not engaging with the wider business community. His priorities are probably not their priorities, which I guess would have far more to do with taxes and rents, local amenities and education than showy pronouncements to the local press. All of this would be dismissed as the ravings of a self-agrandising fool if he didn't have Rod's ear. And chequebook.

Drone

Sorry to burst your quote bubble; but have you forgotten just how high profile and powerful the SSEP in Swindon/region actually is? http://www.ssep.org.uk/ssep/ssep-about.htm  Inter alia the position of chair.

Mr John Rikki Hunt is the Chair of the SSEP and holds that powerful position and is supported by the FSB has representing their 800 members along with the chamber of commerce, which  is another entity many people in the town/region are members of the SSEP and have therefore been part of the process of appointing the chair.

It must not be forgotten that the SSEP is a business/council partnership, so it is not ravings and pronouncements, but it is a view from the chair representing the views of a very powerful partnership. A position that has been elected/by its members, FSB, Chamber of Commerce, SBC, SWARDA, Business Link,  Job Centre Plus Schools Colleges etc  (see the SSEP  website for impressive membership list from the wider business community) I hardly think that all these people/organisations/businesses; especially the FSB and chamber of commerce with its 800 + members would be appointing a self grandising fool and supporting any ravings or any priorities that were not their priorities?

From SSEP

SSEP Role and Purpose

The SSEP was established in 2006 to lead Swindon's ambitious strategy for economic growth and the Partnership's Chair is Rikki Hunt, CEO of Digital City UK Ltd.

The SSEP is directly charged with the delivery of the Economic Development & Enterprise block of the Local Area Agreement, and coordinates enterprise activities alongside an exciting new agenda of business growth and innovation.

[/s]
I am sure the SSEP has a successful trackrecord of acheivement  since it was established 4 years ago and perhaps the FSB, Chamber of commerce SBC, SWERDA and Colleges etc will come onto TS and point out its success and prove wrong any sceptics?

My opinion  of the SSEP is that it is has a good website presence/media presence/council and government support and by 2026 will have almost certainly likely have acheived this Economic Development Vision and Framework along with the members of  FSB, Chamber of Commerce , Colleges and SBC  for the council and people of Swindon. Read the plan here http://www.ssep.org.uk/business/business-support/developing_the_local_economy/economic_development_vision_and_framework.htm

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:16:18 am »

Out of interest, any idea how many people Digital City employ within the borough?

I've got no idea... on the other hand the amount of money they've "raised"  less their capital expenditure wouldn't be capable of supporting more than a handful of people for very long...

Moley

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 11:31:23 am »

I think this may overlap with another topic..............Who is a Mason ?    ;)

:angel:

Offline Drone

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 02:23:52 pm »
Drone

Sorry to burst your quote bubble; but have you forgotten just how high profile and powerful the SSEP in Swindon/region actually is? http://www.ssep.org.uk/ssep/ssep-about.htm  Inter alia the position of chair.

Fair enough - good to have all the facts about this man!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »

Drone

Mr John Rikki Hunt is the Chair of the SSEP and holds that powerful position and is supported by the FSB has representing their 800 members along with the chamber of commerce, which  is another entity many people in the town/region are members of the SSEP and have therefore been part of the process of appointing the chair.

It must not be forgotten that the SSEP is a business/council partnership, so it is not ravings and pronouncements, but it is a view from the chair representing the views of a very powerful partnership. A position that has been elected/by its members, FSB, Chamber of Commerce, SBC, SWARDA, Business Link,  Job Centre Plus Schools Colleges etc  (see the SSEP  website for impressive membership list from the wider business community) I hardly think that all these people/organisations/businesses; especially the FSB and chamber of commerce with its 800 + members would be appointing a self grandising fool and supporting any ravings or any priorities that were not their priorities?

From SSEP

SSEP Role and Purpose

The SSEP was established in 2006 to lead Swindon's ambitious strategy for economic growth and the Partnership's Chair is Rikki Hunt, CEO of Digital City UK Ltd.

The SSEP is directly charged with the delivery of the Economic Development & Enterprise block of the Local Area Agreement, and coordinates enterprise activities alongside an exciting new agenda of business growth and innovation.

[/s]
I am sure the SSEP has a successful trackrecord of acheivement  since it was established 4 years ago and perhaps the FSB, Chamber of commerce SBC, SWERDA and Colleges etc will come onto TS and point out its success and prove wrong any sceptics?

My opinion  of the SSEP is that it is has a good website presence/media presence/council and government support and by 2026 will have almost certainly likely have acheived this Economic Development Vision and Framework along with the members of  FSB, Chamber of Commerce , Colleges and SBC  for the council and people of Swindon. Read the plan here http://www.ssep.org.uk/business/business-support/developing_the_local_economy/economic_development_vision_and_framework.htm

This is all very interesting Councillor Steve, but surely our man Rikki would not be representing these organisations on his own behalf and must therefore enjoy the approval of what he says in his esteemed capacity?

How can he be lampooned on this site and on the adver comments section and yet apparently enjoy the confidence of these organisations?  Is it that they have no other voice and what Rikki thinks goes as they say?  Or is it that he does actually speak on their behalf?  I know we have at least one FSB member on this site who will undoubtedly want to comment!

He also continues to enjoy the confidence of our Council Leader Rod Bluh who is a successful Accountant by profession and Garry Perkins who also enjoys a successful Sales business.  How could this situation sustain if it were otherwise, although I can say as a Professional Salesman myself there is nothing like a salesman to bullshit another salesman.  It goes with the territory and Accountants are fair game as well for a good pitch!

And with no further news on Wi-fi and the wonders of their customer base you have to ask how does Rikki do it?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.