Author Topic: The Butchers' Budget  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Ringer

Re: The Butchers' Budget
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2010, 08:52:44 pm »
Am i reading this right a -11% grant next year and a -7% one the year after.

Best start looking for another job then

Let me spin answer this for you like the cabinet may do. The rural areas did slightly better than the cities and Swindon looks like it came somewhere in between, not sure exactly where but we could have done much worse. The North did a lot  worse, but we are a long way from there. We have yet to take into account the fact that the Police budget will be cut and the NHS will be as well.  Therefore in Swindon we can say we did not do as bad as some areas like Liverpool or in the geordie areas.  I think we should all thank Mr Pickles for not being so beastly to us. Also be thankful that I have managed to ensure that Swindon is and will always remain in the south west. You get the drift TB?

On another matter you have raised about looking for a job, there is no point as you work in the public sector and you know that Your job is safe. I am sure at some point in the future the boss will say I have bad news and good news! The good news is you will still be working in your role, the bad news is that you have been redesignated as a volunteer and will no longer get  remunerated for it.

I jest! :2funny:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:35 pm »
Unfortunately for me a losing my job is nothing to jest about.

I'd rather go before i'm pushed if at all possible. 20% cut is 1 in 5, there is about 100 ish of us in the depot so that's approx 20 jobs going which ever way you look at it. Less money = less staff. unless we can pick up more work else where and that's not likely.

Recent events have proven to me that there is no such thing as a safe local authority job, I'm worried, very worried.

Got a job anyone?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »
Got a job anyone?

For now.....

Luckily we are all in this together. It is something we can all draw considerable solace from. I certainly do, oh yes.

Not sure it is within my power to lay off 20% of Parliament, for instance, but I'm sure that is a temporary oversight.

If I see either of our MP's I shall give them a big hug and whisper in their ear 'We are all in this together' and see if they can sort that out for me whoops, us.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:00 pm »

I'd rather go before i'm pushed if at all possible. 20% cut is 1 in 5, there is about 100 ish of us in the depot so that's approx 20 jobs going which ever way you look at it. Less money = less staff. unless we can pick up more work else where and that's not likely.

Recent events have proven to me that there is no such thing as a safe local authority job, I'm worried, very worried.

Got a job anyone?

I know how you feel and with unemployment up by 35,000 and Job Losses in the Public sector adding 33,000 to that figure. Its very grim

Look at the map to show how counties/council's fared in the cuts. http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/politics/s/1391848_mapped_out_how_coalition_council_cuts_will_hit_hardest_in_the_north?rss=yes
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2010, 01:31:36 pm »
Surely this cannot come as any surprise to those in the North? They enjoyed the channelling of public money to Labour heartlands for the past 13 years, it couldn't go on forever.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2010, 01:55:00 pm »
And I bet the tories are doing it in their heartlands, besides most of us are born with a plastic spoon n our mouths rather than silver, And have worked hard for what we have, the northeners are workers and labours supported them....fair enough, but then again what have the tories supported? Not the students, public sector, NHS unemployed, incapacitated and hmmmm the armed forces, civi-mod workers oh I know who they've supported......
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Ringer

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »

TB

I did not mean to appear to be jesting about your circumstances.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2010, 02:50:06 pm »
fair enough, but then again what have the tories supported? Not the students, public sector, NHS unemployed, incapacitated and hmmmm the armed forces, civi-mod workers oh I know who they've supported......

...the 10,692,131 people who voted for them in May?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:43 pm »
I seriously doubt it
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2010, 05:03:18 pm »
I know how you feel and with unemployment up by 35,000 and Job Losses in the Public sector adding 33,000 to that figure. Its very grim

It is grim and as someone who has been made redundant 4 times I know it is tough to get back into work. However, is it a right to be in work?

As the population grows it is unlkely there will be 'jobs for all' (if there ever was)

As working age is redefined there will be fewer opportunities for advancement.

As more women come into the workplace, men will be displaced or find it harder to get a job (just a statement people not a judgement on women in the workplace)

As people become even more anxious about being able to make ends meet the prospect of early retirement for some will be a pipe dream

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2010, 05:17:32 pm »
Government cuts for Swindon - worse than it first appears

See http://martinwicks.wordpress.com

I'd put it here but I can't get the table to load in a comprehensible way.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2010, 10:15:54 pm »

TB

I did not mean to appear to be jesting about your circumstances.

Thanks ringer, I am sure I am only going through all those emotions present when faced with an uncertain future.

I'm a touch sensitive at the moment and the latest unemployment news does not make good reading. 35,000 more unemployed, mostly public sector jobs gone already. no sign of the private sector picking up to take the slack, from what i can read it actually looks as if they will also be laying off staff.

I have never been out of work before. I have worked in both the private and now the public sector. The prospect of signing on and living on benefit is not something I ever thought would happen or that I want to look forward to.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »
Get yourself down to the agencies TB!

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »

Thanks ringer, I am sure I am only going through all those emotions present when faced with an uncertain future.

I'm a touch sensitive at the moment and the latest unemployment news does not make good reading. 35,000 more unemployed, mostly public sector jobs gone already. no sign of the private sector picking up to take the slack, from what i can read it actually looks as if they will also be laying off staff.

I have never been out of work before. I have worked in both the private and now the public sector. The prospect of signing on and living on benefit is not something I ever thought would happen or that I want to look forward to.

All I can say is good luck mate.... I spent most of the year at risk (and came literally within a day of being made redundant) so I know what you're going through.. 

And the thing I'd keep re-emphasising to everyone gloating about cuts is that real people are impacted here, and redundancy hanging over you is not a  pleasant situation to be in...

Moley

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »
Get yourself down to the agencies TB!

Already been.....

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2010, 07:21:10 am »
I seriously doubt it

Why would people vote for an MP/party/government that they don't think will support them?

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:52 am »
That's a good point 20 BUT this government was formed over a failed election, which shows not one single party managed to gain the trust of a greater majority so a coalition government was formed. Now with both the Conservatives and the Lib-Dems they have bropken election pledges, u turned, bullied demonised and have been acting worse than Thatcher on a bad day.
I Do think that people who voted for the Conservatives , Lib Dems are getting short changed rather badly

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2010, 08:41:29 am »
Why would people vote for an MP/party/government that they don't think will support them?

People have demonstrably lost faith in all politicians. Very few of us believe that the interests of the population take precedence over political ideology, personal advancement or the interests of big business moguls and oligarchs.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:13 am »
I agree with both of the above posts - but it still doesn't alter the fact that nobody in their right mind would physically make the effort to go out and vote and then put their cross next to a person they didn't think was going to be supportive of their own aims and beliefs. It would be utterly non-sensical.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2010, 09:56:52 am »
And yet they do - often just going for the party rather than the person.

See the logo, cross, don't know the name and certainly don't know the person.

But it's not them so much, as the people that don't go to vote at all.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.