Linked Events

• Demolition March: November 10, 2010

Author Topic: 10.11.10 - Demolition March - Central London  (Read 9906 times)

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
Re: 10.11.10 - Demolition March - Central London
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »

I take it  you have never worked in public sector, the average wage inflation is 2% and the intreast on the loans is 3%

The social work degree is relevently new degree and is essential to have good social workers with sound knowledge base, a newly qualifed soical worker gets paid roughly £25 thousand a year and you start paying the loan back once you earn £21 thousand, so on those figures why do it?
Is a social work degree better than three years of on the job experience though?

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »

I wonder if PAV didn't get into uni and is therefore jealous of an opportunity they never took up - or if they did and money was no object so they couldn't care less?
I did go to uni.

I didn't get a grant (I think they had all but finished when I went).

I did get a full loan for living expenses, which I'd paid off six years after graduating (you got one years grace).

Offline tig

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:39 pm »

I take it  you have never worked in public sector, the average wage inflation is 2% and the intreast on the loans is 3%

The social work degree is relevently new degree and is essential to have good social workers with sound knowledge base, a newly qualifed soical worker gets paid roughly £25 thousand a year and you start paying the loan back once you earn £21 thousand, so on those figures why do it?
Is a social work degree better than three years of on the job experience though?

in some ways yes because you learn the theorys behind the work, but it is reconised that practice is important which is why students have to complete 200 days of placement , in 3 different settings over the 3 years

Offline tig

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 08:00:12 pm »

I wonder if PAV didn't get into uni and is therefore jealous of an opportunity they never took up - or if they did and money was no object so they couldn't care less?
I did go to uni.

I didn't get a grant (I think they had all but finished when I went).

I did get a full loan for living expenses, which I'd paid off six years after graduating (you got one years grace).
I won't be as rude to ask how much it cost you to go to uni but I will ask what was the intreast you paid on your loan?

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
A degree course for a doctor is min. 6 years. Total that up if you dare.

Too much? Oh never mind we'll just have to bring them in from abroad ready qualified. O0

Oh dear, can't do that. Might upset the right wing bigots. ;)

:angel:

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »

I won't be as rude to ask how much it cost you to go to uni but I will ask what was the intreast you paid on your loan?
I didn't pay anything in tuition fees.

A full loan was £3k-ish per year and the interest was about 3% which was linked to inflation.

Offline LimpGaribaldi

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
I feel ashamed that my children won't have the same opportunities that I had laid out for me, an affordable higher education.

Don't be fooled by the "buy now pay later" attitude - you know you always end up getting shafted by those deals and this one is no different.

The interest on my loan and the fact i have children means I will, in all honesty, never be in a position to pay this debt fully.

And I shall be continuing to pay my own debt by the time of my own children possibly attending - does anyone else see the smidgeon of irony there

Offline tig

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »
I didn't pay anything in tuition fees.

A full loan was £3k-ish per year and the interest was about 3% which was linked to inflation.

if you didn't pay tuition fees would I be right in  asuming you went to uni a few years ago?
so the interest was the same, but  no tuition fees so your loan was a lot less then what students will need from 2012.

so looking at how much you paid, and how much students will need to pay from 2012, if you were in the same situation in 2012 as you were in when you went to uni , would you still go? would you concider it a bit more then you did or just not go?

Offline LimpGaribaldi

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:58 pm »
Hi tig - the trouble is you would ALWAYS choose to attend because otherwise you would be another bored as stink 18 year old in a dead end job with an attitude to match, uni actually gives you time to grow up.

Question would you prefer a graduate in your office or an underemployed 21 year old

Offline tig

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »
Hi tig - the trouble is you would ALWAYS choose to attend because otherwise you would be another bored as stink 18 year old in a dead end job with an attitude to match, uni actually gives you time to grow up.

Question would you prefer a graduate in your office or an underemployed 21 year old

Hi, I would like to think that people would always choose to attend, but I think the reality is  from 2012 people will think more carefully about the burden of debt and it could prevent people going.

Offline tig

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 08:57:34 pm »
Might be a bit off topic here, but can anyone tell me if there is there an upper age limit eligible for these loans?

Weeble

Hi, I don't think there is an age limit at present

Offline LimpGaribaldi

• Hello !
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 09:00:17 pm »
100% agree with you tig, I fundamentally believe that education and knowledge are things that are shared at the lowest possible cost to an individual - in my book its what a big society should look like "runs away and hides before a tory gets me"

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »
Might be a bit off topic here, but can anyone tell me if there is there an upper age limit eligible for these loans?

Weeble

I don't think there is an age limit either - in fact I have just finished paying back my student loan.
I have actually overpaid by about £600, but I have to wait until the end of the financial year to get back what I am owed !
I bet I won't get interest on it  :-\
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 10:09:50 pm »

if you didn't pay tuition fees would I be right in  asuming you went to uni a few years ago?
so the interest was the same, but  no tuition fees so your loan was a lot less then what students will need from 2012.

so looking at how much you paid, and how much students will need to pay from 2012, if you were in the same situation in 2012 as you were in when you went to uni , would you still go? would you concider it a bit more then you did or just not go?
I graduated in 2000.

To be honest, I wasn't concerned about taking out student loans then and I wouldn't be concerned about paying the fees now. Even knowing now what I do, it certainly wouldn't stop me going, especially considering you don't have to pay anything up front.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:23 pm »
Isn't it odd that in the 21st century a degree is seen as an essential, by some, to be able to do a job of work.

A social worker needs a degree - what for?, it's a course for goodness sake, it doesn't have to be a degree course.  Are we really saying social workers of the past who didn't have degrees were 'less qualified to be social workers?'

I recall when you could become and accountnat or a solicitor without a degree - you were 'articled' and your route to becoming a qualified lawyer or accountant was slightly longer than the graduate might have taken.  However, if you took into account the years the graduate had spent getting their degree the time wasn't so very different.

School teachers certainly didn't have to have a degree. Many teachers at my old school (Sanford Street) were ex military men (Education Corps) or teachers from the Railway Apprentices School in Dean Street. They knew their subjects and they were excellent teachers.

As for nurses - we had SRN's and SEN's neither of which required a degree, then we had RGN's now we have RN's and all of a sudden to become a nurse you need a degree.  I can attest to the high quality of nurse who worked at the old PMH - staff nurse and sisters who were in no way diminished for the lack of a supposed superior qualification.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 09:27:11 am »

Weeble

Hi, If that is correct, how does the system cater for mature students where it's obvious from the outset that there's unlikely to be a great deal of money repaid -- will these applications get "overlooked"?

(Just thinking of what I'll do in my retirement to keep the little grey cells active).

Weeble

Offline Muggins

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 09:40:10 am »
Seeing you all talking about loans and in particular the interest,  I thinnk having to get yourself into hock to become qualified to be a useful person, proabably in  a profession where brains are required, is one thing. Having to them pay interest on that loan is a slap in the chops. 

If I had any student connections now I would be thinking about starting up some sort of Credit Union that could agree to charge the lowest possible interest and try to fund if as there was any way of giving a free loan.  Credit Unions are managed by volunteers - so the students could do that themselves.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline PAV

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 10:07:51 am »
I wonder how many of the demonstrators doing the smashing were really students?

Offline Drone

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:36 am »
I've worked full time since leaving uni and still haven't cleared my student loan. I was one of the first to go through with fees and loans. Didn't always seem great value for the 4 hours of contact time I was getting in my final year. Seemed a very expensive library charge, more than anything else.

Of my many concerns about raising fees, are unis really ready and/or willing to massively improve the support and resources students get?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline PAV

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 11:39:11 am »
How is the new debt repayment (with fees) structured.

It's taken directly from your salary right? Do you pay it out of your net or gross earnings?

Is it structured so that your repayments will clear the debt after a certain number of years, or do you pay a percentage amount of your salary?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.