Author Topic: SBC's proposed budget cuts for 2010/11  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Drone

SBC's proposed budget cuts for 2010/11
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »

Review and reduce the costs of services provided to schools in consultation with schools.
The services may include Governor Support, Advisory Services, Healthy Schools and others. These will be available on a buy-back basis where demand continues.

Saving - £239,000

Re-design Mental Health community care services
The savings will be generated from more efficient use of resources in order to achieve better outcomes. Avon and Wiltshire have a 5 year improvement plan and the health community a 3 year Quality, Innovation, Productivity and Prevention plan (QIPP) both designed to identify efficiencies and positive investment in effective services. This is a whole system approach seeking early intervention to achieve better patient outcomes thereby releasing financial resources.

Saving - £475,000

Adult Social Care: Review and reshape voluntary organisation contracts to provide services more efficiently
Following a consultation exercise in the summer with service users and our current voluntary sector providers we have identified a number of gaps in service and other priority areas for investment in adult social care. We will therefore be tendering for a range of services to start in the new financial year which address these priorities.  We are looking to find savings through reducing the costs of these contracts.

£100,000

Adult Social Care: Introduction of personal budgets
All individuals who are eligible for social care support are entitled to receive that support in the form of a personal budget. This means they must have a clear understanding upfront of the funding allocation available to them, and be able to choose the ways and means of how they receive that support
It is anticipated that savings will be made as people will choose to meet their needs in more innovative ways that are cheaper than the council is able to do and transaction costs will be lower for individuals (or small collective groups of service users) than they would be for larger council contracts.

Saving - £250,000
Review of Swindon Museum and Art Gallery with a view to finding alternative ways of displaying the collection
To include an outreach and education programme.

Saving - £80,000

Reduce the subsidy to Swindon cultural arts groups over two years.

Saving - £50,000

Review options for removing to reduce the subsidy currently provided to the allotment service
This will include ensuring we are providing the service in the most efficient way and also benchmarking of our charges with other providers.

Saving - £13,000

Turn off lighting in car parks which close for the evening

Saving - £7,000

Further electricity saving - turn off 450 street lights in non residential areas
This will be on roads with no footways or cycle ways adjacent to them and where speed limits are greater than 30 miles per hour. Detailed information on any specific proposals will be made available for discussion in local areas across Swindon.

Saving - £25,000

Review support for bus services once funding ceases from time limited Section 106 monies
Swindon has benefited over the last ten years from Section 106 funding, which is financial contributions provided by developers to ensure that the development is sustainable, in respect of providing public transport. The purpose of the funding is to enable services, which might not be commercially viable at the outset due to the need to build up the number of residents living in a new development, to run. A number of these agreements have now come to an end and a decision will have to be made on the future of the services affected.

Saving - £106,000

Review bus services supported by Swindon Borough Council
The Council supports a number of bus services across the Borough that are not commercially viable either in whole or in part.  The level of subsidy varies across the services and locations.  A recent review has shown that in some cases we support services that carry very few people and at a high cost.   We now need to reconsider the basis for subsidising these routes to ensure that we provide services that are fair and equitable and at the same time support the most vulnerable

Saving - £100,000

Charge for replacement recycling boxes except where broken during the collection process
All residents are issued with 2 boxes and lids free of charge to assist them with recycling. Any additional bins required can be purchased at cost price. Broken boxes and lids will still be replaced free of charge and additional boxes can be issued as part of a waste warden assessment.

Saving - £11,000

Relocate the Visitor Information Centre to the Central Library saving on staffing and building running costs.

Saving - £100,000

derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Drone

Re: SBC's proposed budget cuts for 2010/11
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »
Saving £1.5 million by my estimates... just another £43.5 million to go!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:34:59 pm »

Review of Swindon Museum and Art Gallery with a view to finding alternative ways of displaying the collection

Saving - £80,000

Finding 'alternative ways of displaying the collection' ?

Is this political code for: "We are closing the museum and art Gallery" ?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »
They have forgotten a few others:

Not kicking the street traders out of the town centre.

Saving £40,000

Start charging rent on prime office space in town centre to Digital City

Saving £20,000 (at least, probably more)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:09:12 pm »
Saving £1.5 million by my estimates... just another £43.5 million to go!

Isn't Bluh's '£45 million cuts over 3 years' statement now in doubt?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Bluh was forced to admit the best estimates are actually closer to £30 million...before he carried on peddling the £45 million figure as if nothing had happened.

Bob Wright, on yesterdays 105.5 community talkback programme, did partially tackle Bluh when he again floated the £45 million figure, when he [Bob] said: "I'd prefer to start at £30 million" but then Bob didn't press the point.  ???

So is it £30 million or £45 million?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:12:43 pm »
Geoff

Its £30 million as Cllr Bob Wright asked at Cabinet and the leader confirmed. Bob also mentioned it on the 105.5 show, but did not follow it up.
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:46:30 pm »

Saving £40,000

Thinking about it a bit more, that is £180,000 over three years. Not to be sniffed at.

Offline Drone

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:52:33 pm »

Saving - £80,000

Finding 'alternative ways of displaying the collection' ?

Is this political code for: "We are closing the museum and art Gallery" ?

Yes. In much the same way as 'moving the information centre' means closing the tourist information centre and sticking a couple of leaflet racks in the library.

I'm no economist, but why are we destroying what remains of our appeal to tourists and visitors. Do we not want their money?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »
Small Government= small minded ?

Dicuss.

:angel:

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:40:15 pm »
Sorry,
Discuss

:angel:

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:08:28 pm »
Reduce the parks department and park rangers from 7 to 4....   save £60,000

Out of self interest any body got any idea how much works is being cut from SCS? we've heard 4-6 £million....

The whole grounds maintenance budget can't be more than 3ish so where's all that going without direct impact on services? Does anybody know the figures because we aren't being told.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:58 pm »
Is that rumour on top of the 5.3 million aready earmarked? SCS is the council's arms length contractor you will have to ask some one on the board that question. If I ask Cllr perkins he will refer me to the board just like when you ask questions about Wi-fi and Thamesdown Transport. :spin:
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:19 pm »
close the art Galleries and stop bus subsidies before jobs cuts I say

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:52:27 am »
Is that rumour on top of the 5.3 million aready earmarked? SCS is the council's arms length contractor you will have to ask some one on the board that question. If I ask Cllr perkins he will refer me to the board just like when you ask questions about Wi-fi and Thamesdown Transport. :spin:

Hi Steve

I think its the 5.3 million then, mind you it could be deeper cuts later
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Drone

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 06:20:39 am »
'Redesign mental health community care services' - does anyone know what this means?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Rochelle

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 07:35:36 am »
Yes, I do...

Offline Drone

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:10 am »
Should we be scared?

Thank goodness there's nothing going in the town or country on that could encourage severe depression or paranoia! *Ahem*
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:24 am »

Saving £40,000

Thinking about it a bit more, that is £180,000 over three years. Not to be sniffed at.

I'll tell what would make a significant contribution and that is the £450,000 loan to Digital City - now that would make a bit of a difference!  - but you know that already.  I wonder how long it will be before it is written off?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 09:42:25 am »

Yes. In much the same way as 'moving the information centre' means closing the tourist information centre and sticking a couple of leaflet racks in the library.

I'm no economist, but why are we destroying what remains of our appeal to tourists and visitors. Do we not want their money?

Interesting point Drone but at least it removes the Information Centre from the 'vibrant' building site that is Regent Street.  Will it ever finish or is it to become a unique selling point for the regeneration in Swindon?

Offline Rochelle

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01:41 am »
Clearly, I am not suggesting that anyone at SBC is acting with anything less than the best of intentions, however this is an area I am particularly concerned about.
The basic problem really is very basic. You can redesign services all you like, you can't redesign people. So, if your redesigning is genuinely people-centred, it will only ever cost more. If your redesigning is essentially a cost-cutting exercise, people WILL suffer and die.
Decision-makers hide behind language for a number of reasons, but in my opinion one of the main reasons is emotional self-protection.
How many times have we heard someone say "how do they sleep at night"? By putting a great big barrier between intellectual understanding and emotional understanding. It is then possible to convince yourself you are making an economic decision (for the greater good or whatever) when in fact you are making a moral decision.
Lack of adequate mental health care will blight and end lives through generations, treat one person successfully you are saving the lives, in very real terms, of countless others. Want to put a price on that?
I was at a conference over the weekend and got talking to a very senior health professional who has worked here and in America.
Her take on the current plans for the health service was stark: the health service is to be run on American lines, it will not be a National Health Service and all the things we are being told about increased choice and service etc are lies.
I have considerable personal and professional experience in this field which I will put in a blog when i get a bit of spare time, however, it's time to get on with the ward work just now.
One last point though, my personal opinion with regards to outsourcing: I was elected to be responsible and accountable, to act on behalf of my electorate and to be scrutinised. To pass the buck to someone who has no mandate is not democratic and is not part of my personal remit or moral code.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.