Linked Events

• The Greenest Government ever? The Greenest Swindon ever?: November 12, 2010

Author Topic: The Greenest Government ever? The Greenest Swindon ever?  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
The Greenest Government ever? The Greenest Swindon ever?
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:07:23 pm »
The Greenest Government ever?
The Greenest Swindon ever?

THE BIG SWINDON CLIMATE QUESTION TIME

• What does being green mean?
  • Is it a luxury that we cannot afford?
  • How can green jobs be created?
  • How do our lifestyles impact on people elsewhere in the world?

Come and put your questions to our panel that will include:
  • Swindon MPs Justin Tomlinson and Robert Buckland
  • Christina Howell of Swindon Chamber of Commerce
  • Swindon Councillor Peter Greenhalgh
  • A representative of The Stop Climate Chaos Coalition

12 November 2010, 7.15 to 8.45pm at the Commonweal School, The Mall, Old Town, SN1 4JE

Light refreshments from 6.45pm

Car parking is available at the rear of the school on both sides

You can send your question in advance by email to contact@swindonclimate.org.uk with Question Time in the title, or put it in writing on 12 November before 7pm

Hosted by Swindon Climate Action Network, Oxfam and the Stop Climate Chaos Coalition
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
Re: The Greenest Government ever? The Greenest Swindon ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »

I'm smiling, sardonically, I like to think.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Simon

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »

I'm smiling, sardonically, I like to think.

I would like to write that Commonweal is served by a bus from the town centre every ten minutes, but unfortunately that's not the reality of the bus service in Swindon. Having said that, it's not all that far from the town centre, maybe the climb up Deacon Street and Kent Road is a bit of an effort, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Are you coming Mart? I'm sure it would be a more interesting event for your presence.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »
Doubt it and I dvery much doubt it. I fled Old Town under after withering under the constant barrage of vibrations, visions and regeneration. I've gone to the 'Burbs.

However:

What does being green mean?

Lentils three times a day in an unheated cave. Or, if you can't fix it, replace it or provide a new one don't take it.

Is it a luxury that we cannot afford?

Yes, until politicians accept that they have wrung every vote and tax £ out of it.

How can green jobs be created?

By the bloody thousands as far as I can tell.

How do our lifestyles impact on people elsewhere in the world?

Apparently UK Government buildings emit more wossname that the whole of Kenya. This makes Kenya hotter, the rains don't come, crops fail and people die. UK Government buildings continue to emit more wossname than the whole of Kenya. I emit less this year because I am worried about my gas and electric bills. Government clearly has no such issues.

Come and put your questions to our panel that will include:

Swindon MPs Justin Tomlinson and Robert Buckland

Admit it, you are running a fantasy stoopid question league aren't you? Or, Did you know Government buildings emit more wossname than the whole of Kenya?

Christina Howell of Swindon Chamber of Commerce

Spect you have a lot of free time on your hands lately?

Swindon Councillor Peter Greenhalgh

Did you know you are in a residents parking zone, who bunged you a very expensive time expiring visitors pass, or did you get your own printed up?

A representative of The Stop Climate Chaos Coalition

Who have you coalesced with lately? To be honest I don't think you can stop Climate Chaos, it's a feature of climate really.

Climate change can be alleviated through the provision of 'green alternatives' to a reasonable selection of things and activities now considered 'essential to life' at a cost that renders them accessible to the masses. £114 rail fares for 100 mile rail journeys and £3000 wind turbines that would struggle to power a low power thing are not alternatives. One is piracy the other is an expensive affectation.

To summarise:

The Greenest Government ever?

Clearly not, anything pre industrial revolution is in with a shout though.

The Greenest Swindon ever?

Given the resolute drive to regenerate us into the Stone Age and the diminishing levels of any type of activity that results, well, hell yes! And it clearly a better place for it. Huzzah to our visionary Leaders.

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Simon

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:54 pm »
Apparently UK Government buildings emit more wossname that the whole of Kenya. This makes Kenya hotter, the rains don't come, crops fail and people die. UK Government buildings continue to emit more wossname than the whole of Kenya.

A good reason to come along and grill the politicians on why this is  :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:40:02 am »
Only because this is one of the reasons I can't get to several meetings I would to:

HOLD THE B*&%^%Y MEETINGS IN PLACES AND AT TIMES THAT THEY CAN REACHED BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT!

Sorry Simon, but if any group ought to be doing this, and setting an example,  it's Swindon Climate Change Group. 

Greenest Government ever - stopping the Severn Barrier and putting in EIGHT Nuclear power stations - think not.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
    • Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:50:00 pm »
I'm still waiting for Anne Snelgrove to do something about putting solar panels on government buildings- she had years... I've run out of energy myself to waste it again on an event which makes no difference. 

Sorry...

Ed Milliband- at least he "got it" to a certain extent with Franny Armstrong and the Age of Stupid film. I have been writing to Mr Buckland about climate change but am getting no sense of concern or interest or need to make any changes any time soon.

Offline Simon

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:26 pm »
Only because this is one of the reasons I can't get to several meetings I would to:

HOLD THE B*&%^%Y MEETINGS IN PLACES AND AT TIMES THAT THEY CAN REACHED BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT!

Sorry Simon, but if any group ought to be doing this, and setting an example,  it's Swindon Climate Change Group. 

Sorry  :embarassed:  Not sure why it's being held at Commonweal rather than somewhere like the Pilgrim Centre. Happy to ask a question on your behalf if you want. And I'll be filming and youtubing the proceedings so that everyone can watch.

I'm still waiting for Anne Snelgrove to do something about putting solar panels on government buildings- she had years... I've run out of energy myself to waste it again on an event which makes no difference. 

Sorry...

Ed Milliband- at least he "got it" to a certain extent with Franny Armstrong and the Age of Stupid film. I have been writing to Mr Buckland about climate change but am getting no sense of concern or interest or need to make any changes any time soon.

Anne Snelgrove seems to have vanished from view since the election.

We seem to have different experiences of Mr Buckland. I've copied below his reply to my invitation to read the Zero Carbon Britain report, which seems largely along the right lines, not sure about the "promoting aviation" bit though.

Quote from: Robert Buckland
Dear Simon

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Zero Carbon Britain report. I have read parts of the report and my colleague Chris Van Roon in looking at it in more detail. I cannot vouch for Justin in terms of whether he has looked at this report, but he is extremely interested in these issues and I know that when he was a Councillor, he was very keen to improve the Borough Council's recycling for example.

Clearly how we deal with climate change is going to be one of the defining issues of the early decades of this century, and many people believe that we only have a couple of decades to act before dangerous climate change can be avoided.

The summary of the ZC report talks about the opportunities for green jobs and I really believe that this could be important. We will be missing a huge opportunity if we are "behind the curve" in terms of worldwide investment into green jobs and green industry. Tim Yeo's report, which I will refer to later, also stresses this.

I fully agree with you that we must protect the environment for future generations, make our economy more environmentally sustainable, and improve our quality of life and well-being. Please be assured that this Government is committed to tackling climate change and will implement a full programme of measures to fulfil our joint ambitions for a low carbon and eco-friendly economy.

I would also like to see an increase in the target for energy from renewable sources, based on the advice of the Committee on Climate Change, including introducing measures to promote a huge increase in energy from waste through anaerobic digestion and measures to encourage marine energy.

It is also crucial that we mobilise investment in the green sector and creation of a Green Investment Bank is a move which I fully support. The Bank will consolidate within a single institution the existing disparate sources of public investment.

To improve household energy efficiency, help combat fuel poverty and cut carbon emissions, every household will have access to a home energy improvement grant 'the green deal' to fund the installation of approved energy efficiency measures to their homes.

We will also be introducing measures to protect wildlife and promote green spaces and wildlife corridors in order to halt the loss of habitats and restore biodiversity and launching a national tree planting campaign.

The Government has stated the need to start a new chapter in aviation policy. This must be one that promotes the aviation industry, supporting economic growth, whilst recognising the need for restraint. We have already begun by making clear our opposition to adding yet more runways at Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick. We cannot allow growth to contribute at the levels it has in the past. Doing so risks unacceptable consequences in terms of noise and air quality, apart from the global impacts of CO2 emissions. Instead, we must explore different ways in which to improve the efficiency of these key components of our national transport infrastructure. One of these will be through the building of High Speed 2.

May I refer you to the latest pamphlet from Tim Yeo MP, Conservative MP for South Suffolk and the Chairman of the Energy and Climate Change Select Committee. His book has many useful points and ideas in there and hopefully gives more of an indication as to the Coalition's plans and ideas for addressing climate change: http://trg.org.uk/uploads/u8187/File/Green_Gold_July2010.pdf

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely
Robert Buckland MP

Some good words, but my main concern is whether they are just words.

Offline Drone

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 05:24:43 pm »

Agreed!

Ask that if the council is serious about charging staff for car parking in town, could they incentivise bike and bus usage?

Also, this goes for the town as a whole. If they want more shoppers, why not look at making bus travel, cheaper and more realiable?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Simon

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »
Ask that if the council is serious about charging staff for car parking in town, could they incentivise bike and bus usage?

Also, this goes for the town as a whole. If they want more shoppers, why not look at making bus travel, cheaper and more realiable?

IMHO as a regular bus user, I find the service pretty reliable. Could be cheaper though, the fares seem to have increased out of all reason in recent years. Coverage and frequency is a bit patchy too, particularly in the evenings. Old town in particular seems to be poorly served in the evenings.

Offline Drone

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:21:17 am »
Coverage seems to have got worse over the years, particularly if you are travelling to Wroughton, Wootton Bassett or one of the surrounding towns. Stagecoach keeps putting its prices up and changing its fare structure. Also, the bus station is hideous.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:24:16 am »

Robert Buckland: "We will also be introducing measures to protect wildlife and promote green spaces and wildlife corridors in order to halt the loss of habitats and restore biodiversity and launching a national tree planting campaign."

Ye Gods! It's like we're reading something copied from 20 years back. 
Measures HAVE been introduced to protect the above, what needs to happen is an enforcement.  And a waking up by them that make decisions.

This man does not have the environment at heart, but seems to be just trotting out decades old material by rote.

A tree planting campaign - honestly - is that ALL he thinks needs to happen. I've been saying for over 15 years, that people have got the tree planting message and soooo much of it has been done - what about all the rest?

Nature needs all sorts of habitats, trees, hedges, fields, field edges, woodland edges, ponds, wet places, rivers, oceans..............back gardens, and plenty of each other for food.

Simon, if you have a bus service to your area in Swindon, they are pretty relaible, but if you haven't - it ain't!

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Drone

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »
Trees are magic. They glue the environment back together and you don't need to worry about changing any aspect of your behaviour.  ::)

derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 06:02:16 pm »
I trust you are being ironic Drone! 

Simon, whilst you are at the meeting ask if the SCAN newsletter can come either attached to the email or even better copied and pasted into the body of the email. Without fail, clicking on the link inside the email always jams up my PC.  Tried it again today and it's still doing it.  When I asked early on, I was told it was up to the volunteer doing it.  I'm sure if they appealed to that volunteers better nature we could all get the message a bit easier.

In my case I would actaully get the message....

Offline Drone

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »
Just a tad. Restoring wetland never looks as good on a campaign leaflet though...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Simon

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 06:58:39 pm »
Simon, whilst you are at the meeting ask if the SCAN newsletter can come either attached to the email or even better copied and pasted into the body of the email. Without fail, clicking on the link inside the email always jams up my PC.  Tried it again today and it's still doing it.  When I asked early on, I was told it was up to the volunteer doing it.  I'm sure if they appealed to that volunteers better nature we could all get the message a bit easier.

In my case I would actaully get the message....

We used to send it out as an attachment but we were getting complaints because it's quite a large attachment. Can you open it OK from the web site at http://www.swindonclimate.org.uk/EDigest ? Alternatively you can try right-clicking on the link and "save target as" and then opening it from your local disk, to avoid any possible problems with the way Adobe reader is integrated with your browser.

I can always suggest copying the text of the digest into the email as well as sending out a link.

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 11:52:38 pm »
ill vote for whoever gives me an allotment

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:04 am »
chrisp:  If you haven't got an allotment now, it looks like you will have a bats in hell's chance  of getting one in the future.  Alhtough I see Mountford Manor School are losing even more open space for the kids to provides allotments on their playing fields.

Simon:  If the Scan Digest contained news - words, instead of fancy bits, the file size would be small enough to put in the body of an email.  All I want is to know what's going on, no pictures, no fancy borders - just news.  I get several a week including Greenpeace and Swindon LinK, even the one's from various stores and they don't give me any problem.  I shouldn't have to follow complicated instructions, if they want me to read their news and I want to read it - up it should pop.

Greenpeace is worth getting they are always up to some direct action or should I say "up something, doing direct action"?

Offline Simon

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
And I'll be filming and youtubing the proceedings so that everyone can watch.

And I did, and am in the process of doing so (filmed it, and am sorting out some clips for youtube, that is.)

The event followed a format of pre-submitted questions, with each member of the panel given a couple of minutes to respond, followed by a few minutes for comments and further questions from the floor, which were referred to specific members of the panel where appropriate.

Here are the first few videos. The introductory blurb followed by the first question and its answers, and the follow-up questions from the floor and the answers to them.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0meqrdXWAMo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0meqrdXWAMo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZXnY3Jd9mM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pZXnY3Jd9mM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-JDQ6lexWw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S-JDQ6lexWw</a>

There's more to come, once I've sorted out the sound levels (some people were coming through loud and clear on the microphones, some were barely being picked up by the mics and some members of the public didn't even use them, so I've got a bit of a task on my hands to get everyone heard at more or less the same volume).

Anyway.... here's a little snippet of the evening, please feel free to discuss  :)

This came up too, or at least the issue of whether people should go into town by car or other means. Question 4 (not yet edited and posted) I believe covers it. Watch this space, more video clips on the way...

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
Well done Simon.
Thank you for taking the effort and time to post the footage and share it  O0

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.