Author Topic: Outsourcing Adult Social Care  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Outsourcing Adult Social Care
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 10:44:32 am »
I think that Chris Watts has highlighted a really big potential problem here.

Who will be responsible and more importantly accountable for these outsourced services? 

Would we be referred to Digital City style Directors if we want to know something?

and finally if these people could save us all this money why can't we do it for ourselves after all we are supposed to be paying market rates for our top people?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
If this or anything else is outsourced then, Yes, even if the council had strong influence. They can at any time abandon us to the company to which its outsourced.  According to how the council contributes financially, will count to how much our input would count. 

It does seem to me that it's a way of having to bother less, that any conundrum can be pushed over inot the private sector. I think in future we ned to be sure that our councillors do actually relish the work of the post and be prepared for the awkward conversations around these social issues. 

The councils work, towards no reponsibilites, could and is being broken down into 'sellable' bits and sooner or later all the entire council staff will move into one office and just pay out our community charge to business that should have tendered fairly for the work.

When Compulsory Competitive Tendering first came in, the idea for long arm companies was taken up - i.e. Thamesdown Transport, however they bent the arm a bit, to keep them close enough, to bring back in the fold should the opportunity arise.  This got forgotten over the years I think  - Tory Government - Labour council.

The thing is, if the councillors hive everything off and there is nothing much to manage, and little influence - why would we want them?

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:58 am »
Muggins

I once prepared a paper called the super 8 plan in about 1990, which I have lost somewhere! It was about the direction of travel in local government by the Thatcher government. The idea was that one day councils would have 8 councillors and an elected Mayor along with a giant cheque book to manage the town and all its private services. I am now worried that my spoof will soon bear fruit?  :popcorn:
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 12:04:02 pm »

Bluh & Co. are the amateurs elected by us to give political direction to the council but, time and time again, some of the elected members think they know better than those who actually do know better. Unfortunately for us and the town, the experts are in a position where they dare not oppose Cllr Bluh's idiocracy lest they find their desks moving towards the door, e.g, former SBC Director of Human Resources Jack Mackiewicz who was recently paid off  and replaced by our old friend Hitesh Patel.

The Councillor/Officer relationship is a complex interplay of many competing forces but I believe Bluh, ruthlessly using the cabinet system & delegated powers to his political advantage, has infected the civil service component of the council with his own blend of pork-barrel politics and Spanish practices to the point where he can get virtually any of his visions & decisions implemented by officers, regardless of how ludicrous and unsustainable they are, because the officers know that to say 'No' to him might lead to the sudden movements of their desk towards the door, but saying 'Yes' virtually guarantees a seat at Bluh's trough.  We'll have to have a little look at the recent case of Jack Markiewicz soon and see if the facts fit the theory.  If readers would like to submit any view discretely please do so via leaks@talkswindon.org   :)

Bluh and Co think they have become expert at this but they really haven't.  I can think of three SBC Directors currently being 'used' in this manner and a couple of others who didn't play the game. One is gone and the other is considered 'untouchable' by Bluh because they know where the juicy bones have been buried.

Rod's fiefdom can't last indefinitely. He's out of money, out of time and out of ideas.  The officers have no confidence in him, the council workers have no confidence in him and even his own group is finally waking up to the 'orrible truth as the next round of elections approaches.

One thing I am very sure of is that Bluh's legacy will be more scorched earth than pavement cafés, canals and centres of culture.

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »
So when do they consult with the service users, parents/carers etc to see what they think, feel, need, and want ?

This is what gets peoples backs up.
Yes we all know about the cuts and the budget (this now seems to be the words that are given in answer to anything and everything put to SBC at the moment).

All people want, is the transparency, the chance to have a say and actually be heard, and for their concerns to be taken seriously and to be given honest answers.

Exactly, they've stumbled on a solution before they've identified the problem. Social enterprise is an ok idea so long as its users have the security that their 'care provider' won't go bust, cut the service, change staff every two days...

There are now a few places where council's have moved to this commissioning model. It creates extra bureaucracy and additional concern, particularly for the most vulnerable users who just want to be supported, not to have to wade therough multiple options in order to commission their own care plan.

And, when it all goes pearshaped, the Bluhsville brigade can all throw their hands up and say. "Nothing to do with us Guv"

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »

Exactly. Bluh's direction of travel is remorselessly away from accountability and transparency and towards deniability and gravy-train profitability for his own kind.

Offline Drone

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »
Which is bad enough when it's just public money at at stake, but when it's the elderly, the vulnerable, etc, it's just bloody disgusting.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 12:39:10 pm »

If I get time today I hope to be able to post a cogent example of how little Rod and his Bluhligans care for the elderly and the vulnerable and why political talk of 'safety nets' instead of 'maintaining excellent service standards' rings my alarm bells.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 12:57:32 pm »
You have to know that one of Cabinet feels that we should go back to being a third world country. He expanded by saying that there they pick children up off the street and look after their old folk. 

To challenge this I pointed out that a close elderly relation is in care.  If she wasn't, someone would have to be with her all the time. If I looked after her I couldn't do my thing, (anyway, Im practically next in line for her place in the home!)  Her family all work - every one of them is contributing to the local economy, inceidentally so does mine so they ahve plenty of family income going in community charge etc..  If it were up to them to look after their mum, they would have to leave work and to live would have to draw benefits.

His response was - they (the family) would manage. 

This is the mind set we are up against.

At present she is the only one in our family ever to have gone into care. So the entire family (all live in Swindon) have/are contributed to her care and she is paying part of that herself anyway.

This is when it get's personal.

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »
So when do they consult with the service users, parents/carers etc to see what they think, feel, need, and want ?

This is what gets peoples backs up.
Yes we all know about the cuts and the budget (this now seems to be the words that are given in answer to anything and everything put to SBC at the moment).

All people want, is the transparency, the chance to have a say and actually be heard, and for their concerns to be taken seriously and to be given honest answers.

Exactly, they've stumbled on a solution before they've identified the problem. Social enterprise is an ok idea so long as its users have the security that their 'care provider' won't go bust, cut the service, change staff every two days...

There are now a few places where council's have moved to this commissioning model. It creates extra bureaucracy and additional concern, particularly for the most vulnerable users who just want to be supported, not to have to wade therough multiple options in order to commission their own care plan.

And, when it all goes pearshaped, the Bluhsville brigade can all throw their hands up and say. "Nothing to do with us Guv"

Welcome to ONE SWINDON.......
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 07:15:23 am »
You have to know that one of Cabinet feels that we should go back to being a third world country. He expanded by saying that there they pick children up off the street and look after their old folk. 

To challenge this I pointed out that a close elderly relation is in care.  If she wasn't, someone would have to be with her all the time. If I looked after her I couldn't do my thing, (anyway, Im practically next in line for her place in the home!)  Her family all work - every one of them is contributing to the local economy, inceidentally so does mine so they ahve plenty of family income going in community charge etc..  If it were up to them to look after their mum, they would have to leave work and to live would have to draw benefits.

His response was - they (the family) would manage. 

This is the mind set we are up against.

At present she is the only one in our family ever to have gone into care. So the entire family (all live in Swindon) have/are contributed to her care and she is paying part of that herself anyway.

This is when it get's personal.

I would like to know which Member of the cabinet said that as I think you must have misunderstood the remark. I am sure no one would say such a thing as in my opinion it demonstrates a complete and utter lack of understanding of the situation. Did that member of the cabinet give an example of how they personally have cared for a family member/relative ie did they mention how they managed it?  Their personal experience may have put the whole comment into context?

It would also have been helpful to the context if they had mentioned, which "third world country" they were talking about, otherwise it can be interpreted as a generalisation? Did he say if he had visited it and monitored the level of the care given and then compared it to Swindon's? Again without this it casts such a statement in the light of and as "nothing more than an illinformed unevidenced anecdotal generalisation." I say this as I am not aware of any cabinet member or officer of the council carrying out a study of third world care, however I am always happy to study their findings.

Families can manage/cope, yes they always do with support and respite, but what of the individual's rights, dignity and choice who are  receiving the care? Humanity dictates that  they must be given the best environment and care that matches their needs. This is a civilised society and as someone that knows his grandfather a veteran of two wars was in the work house recieving medical care that his family of 8 young children (mother not working) in a state without benefits. Had to pay for this care by depositing money in at the magistrates court. (why do you think that was?) All this is within living memory.

Had I been present when or if such a remark had indeed been made or overheared such an attributed remark I would have scrutinised the comment attributed to them in the above statement in depth. In my opinion and (I readily admit it may have taken it totally out of context as I was not present and I am reading it here for the first time). I repeat in my opinon only, it would not be unreasonable for people reading this that have cared/or caring for a family member that they could perceive such a crass stupid remark insensitive and almost certainly likely uninformed unevidenced remark, would not be made by a cabinet member. (I am not sure if it was a private comment or in a meeting or in a public forum) Or in fact that a  remark would be made by a representative of the council charged with a statutory obligation to care for their relative(s], without it being scrutinised challenged in that meeting, by others there.  Muggins if you were there do you know if this scrutiny did in fact  happen?

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 09:49:48 am »
It was Cllr Gary Perkins and I had put this up on other threads. It was in the workshop at the Conference, in the presence of others, so difficult to have a real go, the best I got was the story above and his responses.

I know what he meant by going back to third world countries, it was a bad an ignorant example of people looking after one another better. I challenged the 'example'. 

After my response about the family having to go on benefits and his that they would manage, I repeated yes, they would manage but be on benefits, he flaked back in his chair, turned and spoke to the person next to him instead of the table and sneered/scoffed.  He did not return to our table after the break.

Someone overheard him say he was going to live in Ethiopia, I think they misheard that and it probably meant - they ought to go and live in Ethiopia.

Sorry Steve, but I expect and hope for better from someone who has risen to be deputy leader and is supposed to be cleverer than me.

We have to remember too that most of the others at the table were not in a position to challenge him - Borough employees, Capita employees etc. 

Offline Drone

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 06:19:19 am »
Swindon’s Adult Social Care continues to do Well in latest ratings

25.11.2010 Swindon Borough Council’s Adult Social Care department continues to deliver high standards according to the latest report by an independent regulator.

The Annual Performance Assessment report outlines the Care Quality Commission’s (CQC) evaluation of the council’s Adult Social Care provision for the year 2009-10.

The CQC measured and graded the council’s Adult Social Care performance as “Well” or “Excellent” in all seven of its national Delivery Outcomes, an improvement on the previous 12 months.

Swindon Borough Council’s Adult Social Care department has been given an overall grading of “Well” and described as “a service that consistently delivers above minimum requirements for people, is cost effective and makes contributions to wider outcomes for the community”.

The council retained its “Excellent” rating for improving health and emotional well-being and was awarded a “Well” rating for making a positive contribution, increasing choice and control and ensuring it is free from discrimination or harassment. The economic well-being and ability to maintain personal dignity and respect was again also rated as “Well”.

The CQC recognised the continuous improvement the council made in the category of improved quality of life by moving it up a rating to “Well”.

This is following the consistent progress and improvements the council has made in supporting more people to live independently and reducing the number of people living in temporary accommodation.

Cllr Peter Mallinson, Swindon Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Adult Social Care, said: “I am very pleased that the hard work of our staff and partners has been recognised by the Care Quality Commission.

“The results of this assessment illustrate what a fine job our Adult Social Care team do in Swindon and we have shown we continue to improve our services and outcomes for vulnerable people in the borough.”

Heather Mitchell, Chief Executive of Swindon PCT and Director of Adult Social Services at Swindon Borough Council, said: “We are delighted that the improvements within Adult Social Care have been reflected within the Care Quality Commission’s assessment of performance.

“We have made significant achievements in year which is a reflection of the hard work and dedication of our staff. We are committed to working with our partners and local people to deliver high quality, innovative and value for money care and support services.”
derp derp herp herp derp

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.