Author Topic: A bugging question of a historical nature!  (Read 1286 times)

Offline jas

• Hello !
A bugging question of a historical nature!
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »
Hi, I'm bugged by a memory of an old property in Old Town, namely the old Grovelands house on the corner of Grovelands Ave/Springfield Road, you know you get this thing in ones brain that won't go away. I can remember the property being present upto around 1993, but just cannot recall what it was used for upto that time. Anyone got any ideas to help me relieve my bugged brain! Whille your at it maybe a of bit of historical fill-in would go down nice too.
JAS.     http://www.talkswindon.org/Smileys/default/undecided.gif

Offline Muggins

Re: A bugging question of a historical nature!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:23:04 pm »
Wasn't it a nursing home?, is it still up there somewhere in the midst of some add-on development to make it into flats or something?  Sort of vague memory of visiting an eldrely aunt somewhere around that area.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 04:32:26 pm »
Jas Muggins you have got me thinking now!

The Hermitage comes to mind that was a nursing home I remember a Labour Cllr Bob Tostevin having a connection with it as Bursur or something similar.  Grovelands was that a small sheltered scheme that was taken over by a Housing Association and then converted into flats? Or was that Springfield house or something similar?

I will have to do some digging.
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »
Steve, I have to give up for today, I've been at this screen since 800am - try photo's on the flikr swindon collection.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline jas

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:35:52 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for your efforts so far, keep up the good work. I did a little digging of my own, and it appears that the house/property was under the control of Burderop Hospital when it was transferred/sold for redevelopement in 1993 to the current site owner/operator of Woodspring Court. So it looks like it was a health authority operation up until then. I have also found references to the building being occupied by the Deacon family, the Swindon Jewellers?
Must go now lots to do!
Bye for now.
JAS

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.