Author Topic: Budget Denial: A Political St. Peter Syndrome ?  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Budget Denial: A Political St. Peter Syndrome ?
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 11:16:49 am »
Four years ago Mavis Childs said:

"It is with some regret that I have made the decision to leave the Labour Party.

The changes I would wish for the people of Walcot have note come quick enough and my reason for becoming a Councillor was to improve their lives. 

First and foremost my loyalty and commitment has and always will be to the people of Walcot, it should also be recognised that the vast majority of a local councillor's work is about improving services to the local community, these decisions ultimately should not be decided by party politics. 

Therefore after much deliberation and thought I have decided to join the Conservative Party.  I sincerely hope the people I represent will understand why I have made this decision, I am still the same person that they have come to know and I will still be as committed to serving them as I have always been, but hopefully I will now be able to deliver the things that these people have asked for to improve their lives and their environment."

and then Cllr Rod Bluh, Conservative Council Leader, said:

"Mavis is an extremely well respected and hard working local Councillor.  Her experience as a Councillor, in particular on Housing issues will be a great asset to the Conservative Group."

Didn't the Conservative group offer the Mayorship to the Labour group one year? - which resulted in Cllr Michael Barnes becoming Mayor after overwhelmingly winning a vote amongst the labour councillors?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cllr Mavis Childs also put herself up for Mayor, (she was still a labour councillor at the time), and lose the vote very badly before crossing the floor to the Tory group shortly afterwards?   

I don't mean anything much with this, I just think it odd that the questions of Mavis & Mayoralty seem to surface regularly from time to time, but this time it surafced because of an apparently random denial coming from the Tory group.  Which is odd in itself.

Still waiting Mavis.  :popcorn:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 04:18:29 pm »
No I have no idea why Mavis would vote for such a budget unless she felt there was no alternative.

Just giving one more possible reason. I have heard her in meetings putting a very solid case for the Sussex Square redevelopment. She said she moved from Labour to Tory to help get thing for her community and although it's perhaps 'not quite right' I can see what that would be way to get things done, she didn't have a chance being Labour. 

I don't know Mavis, but have heard a bit about her, mostly quite positive, she doesn't seem the sort to want the regalia particularly, not enough to do the things she appears to have done to get it.

Cllr Glaholm told me many times, he could get more for this ward if he walked the floor - to the majority party. I could see that could be true.

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 04:26:16 pm »
While we continue to wait for Mavis, let's hear from the big man himself, Leader of the Council Roderick Bluh, and how he explained to listeners of Swindon 105.5 FM what the Council meeting of the 7th of October was all about.

Switch your speakers on....

Rod Bluh talks about the October the 7th Budget

Quote from: Roderick Bluh
"We clearly set the budget every year, normally in February for the year to start in the following April, which we did. 

Because the new Government came in and we had the June budget a certain amount of money that we already had was removed from us and taken back.

We therefore had to, (for the first time in a long time if not ever, I don't know), had to do another budget which we did on the 7th of October"

Mavis, are you going to continue telling people that Councillor Mark Edwards, (the 'Lead member' for finance and author of the budget you voted FOR) on October the 7th, told you, just before you voted, that you were not actually voting on the budget he had just presented to the full Council?

We have just heard Councillor Bluh confirm that it was, in fact, a budget.  It is inconceivable that Mark Edwards did not know that he just presented a budget to the chamber, and upon which the council would be taking a vote. 

Is Mavis lying or did Mark Edwards lie to Mavis?  If Edwards lied to Mavis how likely is it that Mavis knew it was a lie but found it politically expedient to 'believe' the lie for some other reason? Is mavis's version of her pre-vote conversation with Cllr Edwards a fabrication or does an audio recording exist which corroborates her version of the conversation?

These councillors are making decisions and taking risks which will have a very real effect on real peoples lives.  I think we need to know the truth. I think we need to know whether democracy is being sold-short for personal gain.

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »
I look forward to Mavis' public statement condemning Mr Edwards for misleading her. And, of course, her commitment to vote against the cuts in future...honestly.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 04:50:29 pm »
No I have no idea why Mavis would vote for such a budget unless she felt there was no alternative.

Just giving one more possible reason. I have heard her in meetings putting a very solid case for the Sussex Square redevelopment. She said she moved from Labour to Tory to help get thing for her community and although it's perhaps 'not quite right' I can see what that would be way to get things done, she didn't have a chance being Labour. 

I don't know Mavis, but have heard a bit about her, mostly quite positive, she doesn't seem the sort to want the regalia particularly, not enough to do the things she appears to have done to get it.

Cllr Glaholm told me many times, he could get more for this ward if he walked the floor - to the majority party. I could see that could be true.

Sorry I cannot buy this one, as a serving councillor this statement about walking across floors to gain for the community in a  councillors ward is fantasy. I do not accept that wards do better because they have conservative councillor or Labour as Cllr Glaholm was a Labour Councillor under Labour for over 25 years! Labour had a majority from the 70s to 2005 so in my opinion it blows out of the water any comments that floor walking would take place for that reason. Cllr Child was a Labour cllr from 1996 to 2006. The conservatives had only been the administration for about a year I think? Anyway what has happened to Sussex Square regeneration Since 2006........ Exactly Nothing!
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 06:02:18 pm »
I bow to your greater knowledge Steve. 

No doubt a floor walk could be bought, if the thing bought for the community would get the walker elected next time, too.

Not only that there is the "he came over to us, :banana: lalalala" aspect of it too.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 06:17:45 pm »
I bow to your greater knowledge Steve. 

No doubt a floor walk could be bought, if the thing bought for the community would get the walker elected next time, too.

Not only that there is the "he came over to us, :banana: lalalala" aspect of it too.

Please don't bow it causes me much  :embarassed: I was just saying it as I see it  ;) I like the they came over to us comment,  :banana: Yes I agree and confirm confirm that I have witnessed much crowing on that one from a particular party in Swindon, however I cannot find the references to it now, as their website may have been updated recently.  :-\
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2010, 12:29:28 pm »
I look forward to Mavis' public statement condemning Mr Edwards for misleading her. And, of course, her commitment to vote against the cuts in future...honestly.

As do I.

Still waiting Mavis  ;)

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.