Author Topic: Road Traffic Offences | Transport | Written Answers  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Fido

• Talkswindon RSS Robot
Road Traffic Offences | Transport | Written Answers
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:42 am »
Road Traffic Offences | Transport | Written Answers
7 September 2010, 2:00 am

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what recent assessment he has made of the cost-effectiveness of the statutory requirement for local authorities to advertise traffic regulation orders; and if he will make a statement.

Source: Justin Tomlinson's recent appearances (TheyWorkForYou)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Road Traffic Offences | Transport | Written Answers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:18 pm »
Is the purpose of this question to determine whether our beloved Council can withold further information from the people of Swindon?

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:46:36 pm »
I'd think I'd feel more of a bond with him if he asked why myself and a colleague had to pay £88 nicker to get to London and back, crawling from London to Reading at the pace of a root vegetable because all the signals were stuck on red.

Glad to see the train company has installed TV's in seatbacks as well, £1.50 an hour, wonder if that and the glacial progress of the train are connected.

Transport is a sack of shite, I'd concentrate on having something to regulate first. So, to rephrase:

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what recent assessment he has made of the pile of poop that passes for mass transit systems in this country and would he agree that he would be better served regulating the flight patterns of bumblebees.

Do you know, inside me there is an MP fighting to get out, I'm a natural.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »
Glad to see the train company has installed TV's in seatbacks as well, £1.50 an hour, wonder if that and the glacial progress of the train are connected.

I encountered this for the first time a few weeks ago, upon catching a train to Reading (and back). I consider it to be a wholly unnecessary implementation. I kept trying to switch the bloody thing off so that I could concentrate on the entertainment that I'd brought with me (I never get on a train without both a good book and an ipod full of my favourite tunes) but it insisted on switching itself back on again every five minutes and telling me how it would improve my transport experience.

Dear First Great Western, please save that experience for those who are rich enough and stupid enough (or who are funded by those rich enough and stupid enough) to enjoy/endure your 1st class tickets.

If you make my train turn up on time and take me to where I'm going by the allotted time then I'm happy. I don't need additional entertainment.

If you give me a seat with a socket where I can recharge my phone or ipod then I'm even happier.

If you were to provide a service which Geoff or Mart or Tobes or any other TS regulars would favour as a means of getting from A to B, then I'd be ecstatic.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:35:41 pm »
If you were to provide a service which Geoff or Mart or Tobes or any other TS regulars would favour as a means of getting from A to B, then I'd be ecstatic.

So would I. Shelby Mustang please.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:53:47 pm »
Questions, Questions and more bloody questions.
They are costing us a fortune.
The current costs are £425 for an oral question and £154 for a written one.
I wonder what the cumlative costs for our M.P.s are too date?
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:12:31 pm »
Questions, Questions and more bloody questions.

No problem with questions me, I like questions. Questions are how you learn stuff, big fan of the '5 whys' I am.

Trouble is all I can bleedin see are questions that, quite frankly, I couldn't give a stuff about. This begs a question of my own, who the bloody hell is putting him up to asking these bloody questions?

His constituency looks like we got rather carried away with our Blitz re-run, his constituency boasts the most expensive trains in the country, his constituency has a Council which naively and ineptlyengages in business practices that have no relevance to what the constituents would consider a council's core activities, his constituency has a very short list of significant employers (I mean by volume) which poses a not inconsiderable risk in these 'we are all in this together'times of fiscal carnage, his constituency is looking at about a gazillion pound shortfall in funding for local services, his constituency in but a short hop, skip and jump where what we are pleased to call 'repatriations' take place, repatriations which incidentally are triggered by a thing called a 'War' which appears to have dropped off his, and his colleagues agenda now the votes are in the bag.

There is a veritable cornucopia of relevant and meaningful subjects from which a man of his self proclaimed, yet currently obscure, abilities could construct a moderately relevant question, but no, we get:

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what recent assessment he has made of the cost-effectiveness of the statutory requirement for local authorities to advertise traffic regulation orders; and if he will make a statement.

If the feckin Secretary of State for Gridlock had a statement to make, well, do you know, I think he might have feckin made it, seeing how it is his job and all. Let's take his reticence to mean 'no'.

£425 for oral, mmm, seems a bit steep.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:50 pm »
£425 for oral, mmm, seems a bit steep.

Not by Premiership footballers standards (allegedly).

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:22:51 am »
A few weeks ago, and an interview, the Speaker (seems like a nice chap) mentioned in passing and with amused tolerance, about some of the younger, newer MP's in some sort of competition with each other as to how many questions they could rack up.  ???

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Drone

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:33:53 am »
Can't they just Google some if this stuff?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Drone

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:38:05 am »
If it's £152 a written question, JT has so far cost us £4712. Mr Buckland has cost us £3344
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 11:53:18 am »
My figures relating to the costs of questions are correct. A collegue of mine has it in writing from J.T. himself.
Bobby

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 01:49:39 pm »
not all the questions are worthless...

Mr Buckland has asked a question on my behalf (which was related to widespread concern about some provisions in the Academy Schools bill and there was I believe an amendment in the House of Lords because of the levels of concern) - which is surely democracy in action?

Moley

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:40:54 pm »
A few weeks ago, and an interview, the Speaker (seems like a nice chap) mentioned in passing and with amused tolerance, about some of the younger, newer MP's in some sort of competition with each other as to how many questions they could rack up.  ???

My point exactly Muggins.

I for one would like to know what is the purpose of all these questions from your MP?

It would appear that there is too many questions for questions sake.

Perhaps your MP would care to enlighten us as to the purpose of all this high profile stuff?

No doubt Mellon believes he (that is JT) is trying to cash in his bet?  Is he going to be the next stalking horse?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.