Author Topic: Consultants fees vs. Cuts to Library Service: A Librarians P.O.V  (Read 819 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Consultants fees vs. Cuts to Library Service: A Librarians P.O.V
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:29:56 pm »

Quote from: Andrea Beaumont
"IT was good to read that Swindon's libraries bucked the national trend and saw an increase in visitors and loans over the last five years.  No doubt the impressive new Central Library was one reason for the encouraging figures, but it must also be down to the sheer hard work and enthusiasm of the library staff.

As a college librarian I have worked with colleague from the borough library on projects such as the six Book Challenge, which is designed to bring new readers into libraries and get people reading and talking about books.  I know from first hand of the dedication of the staff and all the work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure a first rate service.

It is therefore very discouraging to read that the council are preparing to spend £50,000 on consultants to look at library and leisure services.  In a time of austerity this money should be spent on books and staff and not external bodies.

There are alarming reports in the press of libraries being run by unpaid volunteers and of library books being housed in supermarkets and even pubs. This is no way to run a library service and in answer to Councillor Foley's question - "should the local authority still be running the service?" - yes, absolutely.

Public libraries are part of a huge network of libraries, including academic institutions, across the country and abroad, and depend on mutual cooperation. They do not exist in isolation.

In a civilised society we pay local taxese for precisely this sort of benefit which has a value beyond price."

ANTHEA BEAUMONT

Shrivenham Road, Highworth

An excellent letter, I agree with almost every word.

I wonder how Councillors Finuala 'Farenheit 451' Foley and Peter Mallinson will respond, I bet she doesn't and he won't want to be answering questions about the Walcot volunteer-run library lest the conversation strays onto the politically 'sensitive' area of the Walcot & Parks regeneration money.

Anyway....

Quote from: Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
"There must be something in books, things we can't imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don't stay for nothing."

I can think of only a few Borough Councillors who are prepared, metaphorically speaking, to stay in the library while Swindon's conservatives pour gasoline thropugh the windows.

Unfortunately, unlike some local politicians who make more come backs than Count Dracula, once the library service is gone, it will be gone for good.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Consultants fees vs. Cuts to Library Service: A Librarians P.O.V
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »
I can do that metaphorically speaking thingy as well  :-X

Will cllr Montaut Deliever a broadside with his alternative budget in the council chamber in October, or will Cllr Bluh open up at point blank range and give him both barrels of his sawn off budget?  :-\

I thought the 451 Fahrenheit was an intriguing "refurnace" to that book and surreal futuristic 1960s film. Be careful or you may find the next thing you do will be metaphorically speaking about the Prisoner?
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:23 pm »
Libraries are not a core activity but WiFi is, lunacy.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:25:16 pm »
Inovative yet to be delivered Wi-fi versus Libraries - no contest. 

But please do not forget that Councillor Fionuola Foley has told us that no Libraries will close on her watch.

Now as to saving money how much does it cost to support the loan of 16 (Sixteen) books a day lent by the volunteer run Walcot Library?  The library may well be run by volunteers but all the support is undertaken by the Library service based in Cavandish Square.  It is not and cannot be self sufficient.  The question needs to be asked what would happen if the Parks Library were to close?

Additionally has the Library and the Community Shop been included in the latest set of regen plans for Sussex Square because it has not been hitherto?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.