Author Topic: Review of Day Care Services !  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
Review of Day Care Services !
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:54 pm »
Part of SBC's Budget proposals is a review of Day Care Services !

According to the proposals as set out on the SBC website:

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/yourcouncil/budgetsandexpenditure/budget2010/budgetproposals.htm
Day Care Services

Review of day care services in line with the national personalisation agenda which aims to provide greater choice and greater freedoms to clients and is less reliant on building-based services.

Budget proposal:

Part-year 2010/11 Saving                     Indicative 2011/12 Saving
£100,000                                                    £750,000

I have heard through the grapevine that the Upham Road day center is set to close as well as One Step Ahead .

So....... greater freedom, and greater choice to the Clients ! I am all for choice and the freedom to choose, but many of these clients have attended Upham road for years , its familiar to them, its part of their routine, they feel 'safe' there. These day centers are not just day centers, they are places where the clients that go there can socialize, learn to develop their social skills further, and its a place they know , love and look forward to going to , as is One Step ahead. They do activities there with friends they have known for most of their lives . It is going to be heart breaking for some of them.

So I would like to know 'will there be a list of day centers these people can choose from as part of the 'national personalisation agenda ?

The other thing is, is if these people are going to be given a choice as to where they want to go and what they want to do - will these places be fully inclusive and accessible ?

Will all leisure centers have hoists and changing beds available ?
I know Dorcan Leisure Center has because I have had some input with it via 'Aiming High' funding.

This review needs to be thought through properly - Currently many of the service users are taken to the day centers via transport (minibuses)  and accessible taxis . As we well know, there are also going to be cuts to this area (SCS).

One of my biggest concerns is that I can foresee an increase in family break down - leading to the Adult learning disability team looking for out of county placements/residential accommodation as there are few if any placements in Swindon, and out of county placements cost thousands.

There will be disruption if these day centers are closed and it will impact on service users and their families/carers and siblings.

I could go on and on about how devastating this could be and why , but thats for another day and I what ever I say will not make a difference, but I hand on heart know, that to shut the places that keep these lovely people going will have devastating effects and could end up costing the borough more in the long run. It will also impact on the well-being of the service users and their families. (These are human beings with feelings , emotions , likes, dislikes, and even though some of them cannot speak as they are non-verbal - they still get anxious, sad , hurt, like we do only these feelings impact more on them as they cannot ask SBC why they have taken their day centre away .

We also know that we all like some sort of routine and familiarity in our lives - I know I do, I would be lost without going to work each day. Or doing my food shop on a Saturday , and I would miss it if I didn't go to the various meetings and things in the community. So you see, its the same for these people. The visit to the day center each week, is what stimulates them and keeps them alive !

Without these facilities many of the service users will end up at home , day in day out - no outside stimulations. Then depending upon the severity of their needs, they will either become withdrawn and sorry to put it bluntly, but they will die ! As for the others , they will become frustrated and possibly develop various behaviours from becoming challenging to self-harm, and the pressure on the immediate family with become unbearable.

I am no shrink, but I work very closely with these people and their families and have also done so in the past in a previous life as a family support worker . I know these people and what makes them tick.

As I said I am all for choice, but don't take something away form these people that can be part of their choice .

Some of these people haven't got voices - but clearly you would see if you went to see how much enjoyment they get out of going to these places - well it speaks volumes.

If Rod Bluh hasn't been to visit One Step Ahead and Upham Road - then he should .

The same also applies to the elderly who visit day centers .

I will shut up now  :-X

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:27:23 pm by Chav »
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

Re: Review of Day Care Services !
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:49 pm »
Actually Chav this could be the making of families. Taking it to it's last point, there will eventually be NO day care.

That means when I reach my dotage (reports that I am already in it, are greatly exaggerated :D) my nearest and dearest will have to revert to what used to happen and come and look after me.

That's what a BIG society is all about - people doing it for themselves.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:05 pm »

Actually Chav this could be the making of families. Taking it to it's last point, there will eventually be NO day care.

That means when I reach my dotage (reports that I am already in it, are greatly exaggerated :D) my nearest and dearest will have to revert to what used to happen and come and look after me.

That's what a BIG society is all about - people doing it for themselves.

Fair enough for those lucky enough to have a familial support network,  but what about those that have no family, those whose families don't want to or can't support in that manner?

I posted this yesterday:

Unhappy coincidences....

Today, The Swindon Advertiser ran this story about Cllr Peter Mallinson's plans to close the first couple of, (in what is likely to become a long list), day centres and other facilities.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8348502.What_will_happen_to_our_son_now_/

Quote from: Katie Bond

A FAMILY who underwent a five-year battle to get their disabled son into a day care unit have hit out at Swindon Council’s money-saving shake-up plans.

Brian and Susan Osbourn, whose 30-year-old son Gavin was the subject of the Adver’s Get Help for Gavin appeal in 2004, are furious that the council is consulting on proposals to close one of two day care centres in the town and instead hold sessions at different facilities on different days.

One of the centres the council is proposing to scrap is One Step Ahead, in South Marston Industrial Park, where Gavin, who has Down’s Syndrome and learning difficulties, has been going since the start of the year.

The council claims the move, which would save £850,000 over two years, would not only save money but also improve and update the service.

Coincidentally, it was only yesterday that I submitted the following Freedom of Information request to Swindon Borough Council:

Council Contracts to Transport Passengers To Day Centres & Schools Within The Borough of Swindon

Quote from: Geoff Reid
Dear Swindon Borough Council,

This freedom of information request pertains to contractors engaged by Swindon Borough Council, (e.g Swindon Commercial Services, Thamesdown Transport or similar), to transport adult passengers to day centres, (or similar facilities), and children with learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities to schools, respite units and other educational or care facilities within the Borough of Swindon.

I do not require any information about regularly scheduled publicly accessible bus services, regular 'school buses', the Swindon Dial A Ride Charity or taxi services used on an 'ad-hoc' basis by Swindon Borough Council.

1. How many and which companies does Swindon Borough Council have contracts with to regularly transport elderly, infirm and other adult passengers to day centres or other similar facilities within the Borough of Swindon?

2. How many and which companies does Swindon Borough Council have contracts with to regularly transport children or young people with learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities to schools, colleges, respite units and other educational and care facilities within the Borough of Swindon?

3. Which day centres or other facilities within the Borough of Swindon do these contractors regularly transport elderly, infirm and other adult passengers to?

4. Which schools, colleges, respite units, and other educational and care facilities do these contractors regularly transport children and young people with disabilities to?

5. How many drivers were employed on these contracts in the 2009/2010 period?

6. How many ancillery/support staff were employed on these contracts in the 2009/2010 period?

7. How many journeys to adult day centres or other adult facilities within the Borough of Swindon were undertaken in the 2009/2010 period ?

8. How many journeys to schools, colleges, respite units, and other educational and care facilities were undertaken in the 2009/2010 period ?

9. What was the cost to Swindon Borough Council of these contracts in the 2009/2010 period?

10. Which publicly elected 'lead' or 'cabinet member' of Swindon Borough Council did the portfolio responsibility for these contracts rest with during the 2009/2010 period?

11. Which publicly elected 'lead' or 'cabinet member'of Swindon Borough Council does the portfolio responsibility for these contracts currently rest with?

Yours faithfully,

Geoff Reid

You see, I've begun to wonder if the impending program of centre/facility closures are related to SBC's sudden insistence that the annual grant to Dial A Ride is 'illegal under European Law'* and that the services currently provided by the Dial A Ride charity must now be tendered.

If, for example, Swindon Borough Council's Direct Services Company 'Swindon Commercial Services', just happened to have a significant number of new minibuses and drivers suddenly standing idle after a number of day centres were suddenly closed to 'save money and increase choice for users', it would be very beneficial to SCS if it were to win the tender for provide transport services currently delivered by Dial A Ride.....

....but it doesn't hurt to ask the relevant questions to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely.

It also doesn't hurt to think of the word  'sudden' as being politically misleading.  In Swindon Tory language 'Sudden' means 'about 12 months'  ;)

* Dial A Ride is 'illegal under European Law'*   This is the subject of another Freedom of information request submitted to Swindon Borough Council on the 22nd August 2010:

Legal Position On Grant Given To The Swindon Dial A Ride Service

Quote from: Geoff Reid
Dear Swindon Borough Council,

The Deputy Leader of Swindon Borough Council, (Councillor Garry Perkins), attended the annual general of the Swindon Dial A Ride charity on the 24th June 2010 to discuss the Councils intention to remove the annual grant given to that charity.

At the meeting, the Deputy Leader of the Council said:

"Our legal department has said that the transfer of funds [To Swindon Dial A Ride] currently is illegal under EU law"

My freedom of information request is as follows:

1. How many sources of legal advice regarding the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service have been used to determine or otherwise verify that the grant described as 'illegal' by Councillor Perkins is actually illegal under European law?

1.1 Please give the name and address of each source of legal advice used by Swindon Borough Council to determine the legality/illegality of the grant given to Swindon Dial a ride.

2. What advice was given given by the Swindon Borough Council Director of Law and Democratic Services,(or other members of the Swindon Borough Council legal department), to elected members of the council cabinet, or other elected members of the council, regarding the legality of the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service?

2.1 Which elected members of Swindon Council requested or received advice regarding the legality of the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service such advice from the Director of Law and Democratic Services and/or other directors & Officers of the Swindon Borough Council?

2.2 When was such advice requested or given?

3. Are the Director of Law and Democratic Services, other Council Directors and Officers qualified to advise elected members on matters of European law which pertain to the legality of the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service?

4. If external legal advice regarding the legality of the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service was sought by elected members, officers of Directors of Swindon Borough Council, then:

4.1 Did the Director of Law and Democratic Services, other Council Directors or Officers, or anyone acting on their instructions, advise any elected members of the council that such external legal advice should be sought?

4.2 Which elected members received such advice, from whom was it received and when was it given?

4.3 What was the advice?

4.4 Was the advice given in writing or orally?

4.5 Did the Director of Law and Democratic Services, other Council Directors or Officers, or anyone acting on their instructions, cause or instruct external legal advice to be sought regarding the legality under European law of the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service?

5 Did any elected members of Swindon Borough Council seek, cause or instruct that external legal advice regarding the legality under European law of the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service be sought? if so:

5.1 Which elected member of Swindon Borough Council sought, caused or instructed that such external external legal advice be sought?

5.2 What is the name and address of the Company(s) or organisation(s) from which legal advice was sought?

5.3 What advice was given by each?

5.4 What was the cost of obtaining external the external legal advice?

6. Please supply copies of any correspondence between the Cabinet Member for Sustainability, Strategic Planning, Property and Transport, (Councillor Peter Greenhalgh) and the Director of Law and Democratic Services which pertain to the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service.

6.1 Please supply copies of any correspondence between the Cabinet Member for Sustainability, Strategic Planning, Property and Transport, (Councillor Peter Greenhalgh) and other directors of officers of Swindon Borough Council which pertain to the grant given to the Swindon Dial A Ride Service.

Yours faithfully,

Geoff Reid

I think the political smoke is condensing into a recognisable image.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:45 pm »
I think if the families and the staff and the users of the day center's made a video of what activities go on there, and capture the laughter and the enjoyment , facial expressions and body language of the service users, and play it on the big screen on wharf green as 'their  voice' and protest as a reason not to close them all - maybe someone might have a heart !

It would be like taking the free milk away from the under 5's only worse !!!!!!!!!!

I want to understand the logic of the " Review of day care services in line with the national personalisation agenda which aims to provide greater choice and greater freedoms to clients and is less reliant on building-based services".

I attended a course a few months ago on Information Advice & Guidance (IAG) which has to happen in schools - in mainstream establishments there is lots of information and help for the students regarding higher education and lots of choice and avenues for them to take - with the young people who have the most severe , profound and multiple learning difficulties - there are very limited choices and pathways for them after post 19. What little choices there were , were those placements in day centers such as One Step Ahead and Upham Road.
Swindon College will take the special needs youngsters who meet a certain criteria , and are at a certain level within their ability to learn, but its the ones who are left behind.

What choices do they have - please, someone enlighten me as I see the same placements offered year after year for these youngsters as there is nothing else - so there will be nothing at all /no options /choices soon  :(

I would like to see a post 19 - 25 purpose built unit for these young people as I know how much they would benefit.

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:47:59 pm »

I now have a reply from my FOI question.  Will updat when I have enough time to do it justice - next day or so.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »
You are all obviously not listening to the executive (cabinet) :o This sole aim of this review is that it is designed to increase/extend choice and can be easily understood by many as it is a simple message of "We are cutting the cost of providing the current service to increase choice".

The lead member responsible has stated at the last cabinet meeting that some people are receiving  too much of a service for their condition? There is orwellian speak and PC speak, but making cuts to increase choice is certainly a new one on me; so I am all ears to see how it is actually done  :-\

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:56 pm »
You are all obviously not listening to the executive (cabinet) :o This sole aim of this review is that it is designed to increase/extend choice and can be easily understood by many as it is a simple message of "We are cutting the cost of providing the current service to increase choice".

The lead member responsible has stated at the last cabinet meeting that some people are receiving  too much of a service for their condition? There is orwellian speak and PC speak, but making cuts to increase choice is certainly a new one on me; so I am all ears to see how it is actually done  :-\

An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or oxymora) (from Greek ὀξύμωρον, "sharp dull") is a figure of speech that combines normally-contradictory terms.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:24:34 pm »
Chris

You always bring a smile to my face with your clarity I hope you do the same in Eastcott  ;)
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:36:04 pm »

.....so I am all ears to see how it is actually done  :-\

S'easy.

We have shut the day centre you used to visit which means the bus you used to travel there on has been stopped.

Now you are free to go wherever you like instead.

Offline Drone

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:23:56 am »
Yes, the 'you don't have to go home but you can't stay here' school of choice.

Ultimately, the changes to adult and child social care are going to be sweeping. The council's budget proposal list is dishonest and misrepresentative. Anyone who has offered a thought on the listed proposals has been ignored because they will all be rubber stamped. Actually, in some cases the changes will be more significant than suggested. And, there must be a whole raft of cuts the administration already knows about which are not on that list because, hey, if they all get pushed through at the last moment we'll be too thick to notice.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:18:27 am »
"..... there must be a whole raft of cuts the administration already knows about which are not on that list because, hey, if they all get pushed through at the last moment we'll be too thick to notice."

I'm told that a comprehensive list has already been circulated round many in the Tory group in preperation for Thursday nights council.

I don't have a copy of the list but I do already know where the axe is going to fall in a couple of instances but, on this occassion, I'm not going to deliver Bluh's Bad News for him.

leaks@talkswindon.org

Offline Drone

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:56 pm »
Agreed. Without the full facts and timescale, releasing info about suggested cuts could be construed as fear-mongering or idle gossip. Moreover, it will encourage people to focus on high-profile individual cuts and dilute the anger at Bluh and co for the mis-guided ideology and strategic incompetence that have led us to this position.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:31:29 pm »
Monty needs to call for a recorded vote then come next May the evidence will be there of who voted and which way.
Bobby

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.