Author Topic: Town Garden Events  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
    • Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
Town Garden Events
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:02:36 pm »
Has anyone else noticed how these are getting louder?

Today's event has had me hiding indoors and though there is triple glazing I can't escape the thudding Drum and Base and my ears hurt if I go into the kitchen or upstairs I can't venture into the garden although it would have been a fairly pleasant eveing out there. I wanted a quiet day today - but feel angry and upset that it has not been possible, since about midday.

I am tolerant usually and even enjoy some of these events, but people shrieking into the PA which is clearly "on 11" is too much.

After 15 minutes trying to obtain an answer from SBC's noise nuisance line ended with - (at 5:45) "Oh I'll tell them when they come on at 6."

A lot of fine words on the web site- but how about some action?

Not good enough. At all. I wonder what the elderly are doing inthe vicinity- those in ill health in the retirement and care homes. 

Its past 10 pm and still hasn't stopped  :censored:

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
Re: Town Garden Events
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:31:05 pm »
And it went on and on until 10:30.

And now its started again . :censored:  :bash:  :censored:  :bash: 

It was fine all day until just now, I phoned SBC who told me no-one was on today in Environmental Health, so I had to phone the police.

Guess what the police said?

Yes:" You have to wait till Monday adn phone the council". 

And "Can you go over and have a word with someone"?

And "We had lots of calls about this last night- it was unreasonable for many people."

And " all I can suggest is that you phone the council to make sure the same doesn't happen next year, because its a licensed event, licensed by the Council ...."

So I have to sit for the next 5 hours with either my earplugs in while the windows rattle again or go and chop through the cables with an axe.  :tickedoff:  :argh: :argh: :knuppel2:

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:51 pm »
Hey Tea Boy,  where's the junction box?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »
Alex, do what I used to do when the motorbikes were down in Seven Fields from 10am to, well... whenever they decided to go home.

One: think up a really good curse, not a swear word, but a really good blood curdling "May your rotten heart and putrid soul........" sort of curse. Shout it as loud as you can without adding to your neighbours discomfort -or get them to join in.   

Two: Go to happy place in your head and think of all the times that it is quiet, think of birds singing and bees buzzing"

These two things used to work, at least temporarily, for me.

Then tomorrow at 9am tomorrow get on the phone and give the council what for..... if no luck there, report them to their own anti social behaviour team.

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:50:32 pm »
Thank you Muggins- and I think I'll add a glass of wine too.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:50 pm »
Hey Tea Boy,  where's the junction box?

Hi Alex, it's probably too late now....... I did call a colleague in the Parks Dept, he did say he wil refer the matter to the Parks Manager and will copy in this thread so that a record is made of the timings. He wasn't sure when these events were supposed to end.

Not much help I know. Surely a matter for your local councillor? or CPCP Cluster lead? Is the old town bowl really suitable for this nowadays? I reckon it's too small for these dance events. What we need is a purpose built site away from residential areas. I feel for the gardeners tomorrow, the gardens, especially the toilets are always abused.

The Adver are very positive, but then they don't live there...

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8346414.You_can_t_beat_the_Bullyz/

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:00:32 pm »

Have you noticed, that when the unreasonably loud and disruptive events are held in the Town Gardens, the 'leadership' of the council is either abroad on its jolleys or 'unreachable'.

There was a piece about Swindon on Newsnight t'other evening, no 'senior' councillors were available for comment so the SBC press bloke, (Richard Freeman?), ended up in front of a camera looking and sounding uncomfortable.

Funny how Rod Bluh raced back from his 2nd home in France for a 5 minute photo opportunity with Rikki in Swindon, then raced back to France again.... but is rarely available to explain the nuisances caused by his and Cllr Greenhlagh's obsession with turning Old Town into a vision of vibrating musicality.

There is nothing funny about Alex and her fellow residents being unable to quietly enjoy their own homes and gardens and nothing morally fair about incompetent politicians rewarding themselves lavishly while so many others are already suffering anxiety and hardship because of them.

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »
I went along on Saturday evening... and although its not my usual kinda thing, by Swindon standards, this seemed to be an otherwise well organised event and one much appreciated by 'da yoot'...  BUT... I do think the volume was way too much. Thing is, ear shattering volume is what the kids expect (like we all did before age and early onset tinnitus kicked in!) - and the promoters and the artists expect it too. Sad thing is that The Bowl is simply unsuitable for it - the whole of Old Town was echoing to the bass. Whilst it didn't bother me too much, this is a community and there are plenty of people like Alex who are unnecessarily bothered. Again, it was an illustration that Swindon can put on big events (and this one happily was home-grown!) - it just needs a proper medium sized INDOOR venue to do them in... Ironic that the council has so many empty properties....
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:07 am »
Thank you all for your words of support, so very much appreciated.

It's a more litigious society now and it wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't bite them back one day, people could have a case against these sort of events' organisers for loss of hearing in the future.

There must be a legal limit on the decibels and the depth of noise, which as we all know, the deeper, the farther it travels.

The sound is often louder outside the bowl than in it and must be part of the equation when considering these things. The base echoes off all the buildings and bounces around the concrete and brick and my windows (triple glazed) were physically vibrating (contrary to SBC's opinions- NOT a GOOD thing).

Thing is, it was fine in the afternoon yesterday , so its only certain bands who must be demanding the volume.

Good luck with the gardens Tea Boy- I feel sorry for them too, and for the wildlife which must also suffer. Sound is fine when it is invited in but when it is inflicted on you it can be one of the most damaging and stressful things, causing more distress and conflict than people can imagine.

We're waiting for the council offices to open.....and we'll see what happens then.....

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:11:08 am »
Whar does your local Councillor Brian Mattock have to say because as I understand it he has Cabinet Responsibility for such events.

Well we were in touch with him about the Childrens Fete in the Great Western Railway Park in Faringdon Road.

I am sure we will all be interested to hear what he has to say?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:46 am »

There must be a legal limit on the decibels

Yes there is, but any legal limit is useless when, (as you discovered), those able to measure noise and take action where necessary are not available:

".....I phoned SBC who told me no-one was on today in Environmental Health, so I had to phone the police.

Guess what the police said?

Yes:" You have to wait till Monday and phone the council".  "

I fear Cllr Bluh's approaching funding disaster will usher in an era of unimpeded noise and antisocial behaviour in the Town Centre and Old Town which will be further fuelled by his desperate legacy obsession of 'getting things moving' and 'vibrant permeability'.

I doubt Bluh would tolerate so much noise coming from the Clifton Arms and I reckon the right people would suddenly 'be available' to enact his wishes.

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:22:01 am »
I've contacted my CPCP person- Mark Walker and had a reply from him already (very  impressive!):

"Dear Alex,

Thank you for your e'mail.  I am sorry to hear you have experienced some issues with the events at the Town Gardens.  I have copied Mr Hambidge (who manages the parks teams) into this response so he can reply to the concerns you have raised.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Walker (mwalker@swindon.gov.uk)
Policy and Regeneration Manager
Town Centre Cluster Lead

Swindon Borough Council
Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon, SN1 2JH.

Tel No. 01793 464605
Web WWW.swindon.gov.uk "

I hope that this will help the situation but as you say Geoff, measuring the noise output wouldn't be easy without paying overtime- unless they issue us with decibel counters- I'd have been willing to do something like that as long as there was soemone in power to do something about it..- oh yes, that's where the plans falls down.....

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »
Ahaa! Someone from the the Environmental Health team WAS monitoring the noise it seems on Sunday and thought it was OK- on his instruments. AND they only had ONE complaint! (That must have been us. ) I guess it is because all the complainers had given up after hitting a brick wall on Saturday. The Saturday call receiver didn't even log the complaint-just told us they'd pass it on but no-one called us back.

It seems that SBC Env Health  leaflet before an event  all along the Quarries and give a phone  number to report excessive noise to.   Mr Bunce has invited them to monitor it from our house next time - the echo factor is clearly not taken into account- and the buildings themselves seem to amplify things.

They have agreed to leaflet other roads in the vicinity in the future so we can make our feelings known directly.

Good result! Looking forward to that then. ...I'll keep you posted.  :popcorn:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »
The direction of the wind and weather conditions has a lot to do with it too.

How many complaints did the police have, I wonder.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »
They had three.

1 bad back, 1 athlete's foot and one case of distress after one of their number was called a fascist oppressor. There was once case of an officer suffering from bullying and harassment, but someone bought him a lolly and his recovery was such no official complaint was recorded. Happy days.

They are all expected to return to work sometime this financial year, all being well.

Or have I misunderstood?

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:50 am »
Don't think so Mart- sounds about right..

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:58:23 am »
The direction of the wind and weather conditions has a lot to do with it too.

How many complaints did the police have, I wonder.

Yes there's obviously no communicaiton between the two call centres - no sharing of statistics. A really obvious oversight.

:idiot2:

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »
I've contacted my CPCP person- Mark Walker and had a reply from him already (very  impressive!):

"Dear Alex,

Thank you for your e'mail.  I am sorry to hear you have experienced some issues with the events at the Town Gardens.  I have copied Mr Hambidge (who manages the parks teams) into this response so he can reply to the concerns you have raised.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Walker (mwalker@swindon.gov.uk)

Don't expect a quick answer as I know that Mr H is on leave for a week, rumour central at SCS is that these events had been sanctioned by a councillor despite advice to the contrary from officers, don't know which councillor, I suppose the lead one for that area or department, but then it is only a rumour and may be incorrect.

What I do know for sure is that a burger van was driven through a flower bed, got stuck and ruined it.  The bed has since been ripped out as the plants are too far gone now. Head gardner wasn't very happy!

Two flower beds were damaged by 'ravers' throwing bandstand chairs at one another, the bowl area is just a muddy mess now and the gardeners cleared 28 bags of crap from the park on Monday morning.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 08:07:13 am »
But the youth enjoyed it so!

Offline Monkey Boy

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

the bowl area is just a muddy mess now

Not to take away from your other points Teaboy, but the way I heard it was that the Bowl was a muddy mess from the event previous to Invincible.  This in itself caused major headaches for the Invincible organisers who had to pay to bring in flooring just so people could sit and enjoy the music.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.