Author Topic: Swindon Redundancy Estimates Soar From 1,000 to 2,000 In Just 4 days  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Also blogged here: http://www.geoffreid.com/?p=542

Four days ago, on Thursday the 29th of July 2010 the Swindon Advertiser reported:

"SWINDON council has delivered a blow to its staff by announcing that up to 1,000 of them could potentially lose their jobs."

Yesterday, the Advertiser reported Labour's David Milliband as saying:

“The largest cuts plans in living memory will lead to the loss of an additional 2,000 jobs in Swindon"

The first figure of 1,000 redundancies is bad enough and Millibands raise to 2,000 is positively frightening and yet I think Milliband and the Adver are likely to be proved wrong having both under-estimated the true extent of job losses in Swindon because neither has properly taken the fiscal incompetence of SBC's leadership into account.... or it's record of avoiding telling politically embarrassing truths.  Without a fiscal miracle happening in Swindon the number of job losses are likely to be much higher than are being openly admitted to at present.

Bluh does claim to have some magic beans at his disposal though, one of which is his 'One Swindon' initiative:  "One Swindon", he told the small number of Borough Councillors that managed to tear themselves away from East Enders last Tuesday evening to listen to another private briefing in the council chamber, "will make this Borough a leader in  delivering the Coalition Government’s vision of more integrated service  delivery"

That's an interesting promise but, based on the two estimates of job losses reported by the Advertiser, our Council seems likely to lose between 40,000 and 80,000 working hours per week.  Hours which would have been worked by the soon-to-be  redundant Council/Swindon Commercial Services workers.

Recently, (and to be honest I can't remember exactly where I read this), a document was published by SBC which expressed the expectation or belief that 'More capacity would be leveraged from the voluntary sector', which I presume means that SBC intends to 'encourage' more volunteers to do more unpaid work to fill the inevitable gaps in services left by the newly sacked Council bods.   A novel idea, but one which is making councillors and community leaders shake their heads in dismay and disbelief because, (as several of them pointed out to me over the weekend), Bluh's estimates and expectations are, as usual, unrealistic and almost certainly unachievable.

Why are Bluh's estimates unrealistic?

Because I'm told the average voluntary worker cheerfully does about 4hrs unpaid voluntary work each week.  This means a veritable army of 10,000 volunteers would be needed each week to cover the 40,000 hours left void by 'just' 1,000 missing SBC staff.   

Following this vein we quickly see that 20,000 volunteers would be needed each week to cover the 80,000 hours unspent by 2,000 missing staff.....

..... and a veritable bleeding army of 30,000 volunteers would be needed to replace 3,000 sacked full timers.  (3,000 staff sacked is the magic number if my maths is correct).  To get an idea of scale, 30,000 volunteers is more than three times the number of UK troops currently serving in Afghanistan.   

Okay, it's true that my figures are a gross simplification of teh raw numbers, but I'm sure you understand the point:  The Council will not fill the hours currently worked by 1 full time worker with one full time but unpaid volunteer, It simply does not work like that and to describe Bluh's expectation that volunteers will do even  more unpaid volunteering work as 'leveraging extra capacity' from the voluntary sector is a typical example of his autocratic and demanding attitude towards volunteers.  It also goes some way to explaining why many volunteers believe, with good reason I think, that Bluh's crowd have been systematically dumping on them from a great height for several years.

We already know that Bluh is a dreamer.  He dreams of canals, Universities, regeneration, electrifying the railways, Tabernacle stones, Big Weekends and now he's dreaming of uniting all of Swindon under his 'One Swindon' banner at the very same time that many people are waking up to the fact that he and his cronies have run the town onto the rocks. I'm minded that it wasn't very long ago that I said this:

"Unbelievably,  instead of getting to grips with the fatally flawed  budget ‘delivered’ by himself and Cllr Edwards, (both loyally assisted  by100% of the Tory herd animals),  Rod and his chums decided to fart  around with car parking charges instead.   Some local ‘loud mouths’,   (Bluh’s term for those of us who dare criticise him – the cap fits and  I’m proud to wear it), have been shouting “Excuse us Councillor, but  there’s a £4,000,000 hole in your budget”,  ever since Councillor Mark  Edwards, Tory lead member for finance said in February 2010:

"Mr Mayor, fellow councillors, in this budget you will see   irrefutable evidence that we have a tight grip around the councils   finances and will be delivering on our commitment for all Swindon, not   just for today, but for years to come."

"These reckless idiots knew that it was a budget born with a hole in  the heart, specifically a £4,000,000 sized hole which they knew they had  no realistic hope of filling,  but that was of no concern to Bluh  because, in December 2009, he had already spelled out his politically  myopic priorities for the New Year. Bluh said:"

“By the time the Budget is put to bed we will   have   delivered the best Budget to-date with the lowest council tax   to-date   with the least frontline impact to-date.  I have always said   that I   wanted this to be so pre-elections, particularly the General.

We have both the local and general elections only a number  of weeks  away   now and it is essential that we all work a one team to  ensure  the  best  possible outcome.  Our focus should be electoral  success to   deliver 2  Conservative MPs for Swindon, a Conservative  Government and  maintain a  strong Conservative council.

Our first priority for 2010 has to be to  secure the election of Justin  and Robert as our new MPs."

"Bluh & Co’s 2010 budget was engineered to be electorally popular  and once he ‘got what he wished for’  I’m sure he thought Justin  Tomlinson and Robert Buckland would pull his reckless arse out of  the fire.  But they haven’t saved him, and nor are they able or likely  to, in fact things are looking worse for Bluh and,  because of his  arrogant contempt towards Swindons residents and voters, worse by the  hour for us but, before I deliver the latest dour news from Euclid  street, why not take five minutes to re-read the 2010 budget speech given by Councillor Mark Edwards, (Swindon Borough Councils Lead member for finance), so you can properly discern the hard facts from the  political fantasy?"

So, Bluh can try passing the buck and blaming the upcoming job losses on the last Government, but he cannot escape from the simple fact that the Conservative/Liberal Coalition government has cut ONLY £1.4 million from the annual grant to the Council.  Remember that £1.4 million is considerably less than Bluh has already squandered on his various vanity projects, e.g, canal studies, wifi, Tabernacle Stones and the Big Weekend etc, and also happens to be less than 25% of the figure which Cllr Edwards boasted as having in 'reserves' in March 2010:

Quote from: Councillor Mark Edwards
"We are maintaining our reserves at £6m instead of £5m to cope with  the ongoing impact of the economic downturn"

What we're really seeing here is the £4,000,000 black hole in the middle of  Bluh & Edward's 2010 budget which is starting to warp the fabric of everything around it.  Try as he might, Bluh really shouldn't expect to bury his black hole under the bad news coming out of Downing Street because, sooner or later, Downing Street will publicly point out that cutting the grant by just £1.4 million should not be leading Swindon towards 3,000 job losses.

Also, it is telling, (is it not?), that in just 4 months Bluh's crowd have come from denying there was a hole in their budget to now claiming that they must 'save' £11m in this financial year and expect to have to save a further £15m each year in future.

This wasn't wholly Gordon Browns doing and nor is it all down to the last government. On the ground in Swindon this is mostly down to Bluh and his cabinet doing exactly what most of them criticised the last government for.

I wonder how many Swindon Borough Council Cabinet Members currently 'volunteer' for anything other than paid committee seats on outside bodies?.......

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Swindon Redundancy Estimates Soar From 1,000 to 2,000 In Just 4 days
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:57 am »
An interesting post for first thing on a Monday morning Geoff and very thought provoking it is.

Was it not said that the Tories were the party of business?

Isn't Rod Bluh an Accountant by profession?

How could this situation become so bad so quickly? 

-Quote from Budget Speech

"Mr Mayor, fellow councillors, in this budget you will see   irrefutable evidence that we have a tight grip around the councils   finances and will be delivering on our commitment for all Swindon, not   just for today, but for years to come."

and Quote from Rod Bluh

"By the time the Budget is put to bed we will   have   delivered the best Budget to-date with the lowest council tax   to-date   with the least frontline impact to-date.  I have always said   that I   wanted this to be so pre-elections, particularly the General."

I just love the bit about least impact well I hate to imagine what the most impact would be in that case!

What Contribution will come from Executive Salaries and Cabinet allowances?  How about a 50% reduction?  After all they will still have a job unlike the people they will make redundant.

and finally...........

If Rod is so confident that he can get the necessary 20,000 volunteers to replace all these people I invite him to book the County Ground so he can tell us how this can be organised, otherwise he will have to employ the army to organise it for him. Will someone please explain how this could be achieved efficiently?

What will be first - Libraries?

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51:30 am »
I'd be very interested to hear our two MPs views on this.... (though my beard might reach my feet whilst I wait for them to add a comment  :-\ )

..... and a veritable bleeding army of 30,000 volunteers would be needed to replace 3,000 sacked full timers.  (3,000 staff sacked is the magic number if my maths is correct).  To get an idea of scale, 30,000 volunteers is more than three times the number of UK troops currently serving in Afghanistan.   

Well expressed Geof. Worrying times ahead.

I'm actually all for encouraging a 'big society' policy of encouraging people to be personally responsible and tp get more involved with solving the problems within their communities. However, Bluh's not going to achieve this by simply removing existing public funding and expecting volunteers to plug the yawning gap. There is a balance to be struck between the attitude of expecting the state to sort things and this apparently nuveaux Victorian reliance on benefactors, philanthropists and volunteers.

Getting it wrong creates massive hardship, removes safety nets and ultimately put lives at risk.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:13:19 am »

After speaking with him on Saturday I'm sure we will get a cogent view from Robert Buckland. Not sure about the other one.

You're right Tobes, the consequences of getting this wrong are potentially catastrophic for the most vulnerable and based on Bluh's past performance I'd say him getting it badly wrong is far more likely than getting it right.

This really is not the time for an autocratic micro-managing accountant with negligible leadership qualities to be at the helm or tinkering with things he doesn't understand and has no experience of or 'feel' for.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:40 am »
Recently, (and to be honest I can't remember exactly where I read this), a document was published by SBC which expressed the expectation or belief that 'More capacity would be leveraged from the voluntary sector', which I presume means that SBC intends to 'encourage' more volunteers to do more unpaid work to fill the inevitable gaps in services left by the newly sacked Council bods.   A novel idea, but one which is making councillors and community leaders shake their heads in dismay and disbelief because, (as several of them pointed out to me over the weekend), Bluh's estimates and expectations are, as usual, unrealistic and almost certainly unachievable.
Probably the Revenue Budget Management 2009/10 item of the 9th June Cabinet (page 33 of the public document pack)
http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgChooseDocPack.aspx?ID=4209&J=4

And the conclusion at 3.4 of the Revenue Budget Management 2009/10 report gives an even bigger steer.
• Increasingly working as a commissioners of services, leveraging capacity from our communities and the voluntary sector, in response to customer needs.

but oh dear oh dear oh dear some of you have really missed the biggest point (and the point that has already started with Swindon Dial A Ride)
Increasingly working as a commissioners of services

Bluh doesn’t want the community or voluntary sector to rise to the challenges ahead, after all, the council has spent many many years undermining and demoralising those who would be best placed to take on the jobs.

In the words of Aleksandr Orlov.. “It’s Simple”

1. Slowly remove all competition and effective opposition from the community and volutary sector.
2. Wait for rising costs/budgetary needs to support you argument for reviewing the provision of said services. (Particularly those statutory ones where most profit could be made)
3. Put out tender the services you want to commission knowing full well that the only viable providers under your strict commissioning rules will come from your mates in the private sector.
4. Shrug your shoulders, shake you head and cry crocodile tears that the community and voluntary sector were not willing to engage and therefore you were left with no option but to give the commissions to your mates in the private sector.

Although I would love to be wrong I’ll predict that many of the high cost services will be “Commissioned” to companies, probably with very dubious track records of service provision, (not unlike Wifi) and it won’t be easy to track the connections between those who’ve won the newly and profitable commissions and those doing the commissioning. Jobs for the boys in a whole new way.

Well expressed Geof. Worrying times ahead.

I'm actually all for encouraging a 'big society' policy of encouraging people to be personally responsible and tp get more involved with solving the problems within their communities. However, Bluh's not going to achieve this by simply removing existing public funding and expecting volunteers to plug the yawning gap. There is a balance to be struck between the attitude of expecting the state to sort things and this apparently nuveaux Victorian reliance on benefactors, philanthropists and volunteers.

Getting it wrong creates massive hardship, removes safety nets and ultimately put lives at risk.

I couldn’t agree more with Tobes. :agreed:

Encouraging people to get involved should be at the centre of what happens in Swindon’s future, but to do that people must feel that they are empowered to be able to do that. If you’ve been telling them for years that they don’t know what they are on about/don’t understand the wider issues and that the experts from the council know best, it’s no wonder these very same people get demoralised and walk away never to return.

Peoples lives will be put at risk, quality of services will decline and the vast majority of people won’t give a fig because it will not effect them directly enough to have an impact.

Offline ph1lc

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:39:55 pm »
I think there is a certain ammount of point missing here. The article simply apportions the total no of public sector jobs to be cut by the population.

The cuts proposed simply equate to the growth in the public sector under the last Labour Government.
Quite simply this country cannot afford that sort of growth in the public sector. Hae services improved - me thinks not.

As far as Swindon BC is concerned, the growth seems to be in layers of pointless and ineffective management which can be swepts away tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:21:40 pm »
As far as Swindon BC is concerned, the growth seems to be in layers of pointless and ineffective management which can be swept away tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

I wish I could share your belief that this is so....

...but I don't. 

I think you're inadvertently, (hopefully), of promoting a Conservative/Liberal Central Office 'sweeping generalisation' to Swindon which is grossly unfair to the majority those likely to lose their jobs.   

Despite what you may read in the Dead Tree Press, the vast majority of public sector workers are not highly paid, not over-pensioned and are definitely not surplus to requirements....yet it is these people that will take the brunt of the axe attacks, not the 'burdensome middle management'.

Anyone from the front-line of SBC service provision care to comment?  (anonymously to leaks@talkswindon.org if preferred, where the lovely Francoise will be delighted to hear from you )

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »
There are two ways of 'levering more capacity', one is getting greater numbers of volunteers working, that may happen in a small (not greater) way.  The other is to 'build up the capacity' of the volunteer salready working, by training, gaining knowledge etc.  As a pretty much full time volunteer - because if I'm not working, I can usually find something I choose to do for the community and groups I'm with.  And the emphasis here is one the 'something I choose to do'.  If I don't choose but am directed to do, that makes me something else - not a volunteer - well I wouldn't do it, they can pay someone to do that. A good volunteer would NEVER fill the shoes of a paid worker, we want to move forwards not backwards.

Tobes made a remark that he is 'actually all for encouraging', yes, and so am I, but with my eyes wide open as to why people volunteer and the barriers they face to do that.   I also know that in a community like mine, some people just can't get around to it, it's a matter of the Maslows Heirachy of Need.  Until one is safe, housed, fed, in good health and have a good self esteem,  most have to get past the 'worry time' to give of themselves. Even having done that they have to keep that self esteem.  Not much has been done in Swindon over the past years to really encourage that, in fact, to the contrary.   

Giving out annual prizes, certificates just doesn't do it.   Having put in a tremendous effort to bring something about, one would hope to get better listened to, get responses to letters (still waiting from 8.8.08 for reply to that letter Rod!)

In the past ten years, wave after wave of things to encourage volunteering has been put in place and we are still down to the few.

The Big Society won't happen without considerable investment into the voluntary and community sector. SBC and the voluntary infrastructure in Swindon in general, does not have the capacity, either in numbers or in the other sort of capacity (brains) to carry this forward. They may be surprised when no one turns up to their party. 

I did wonder if them that voted them in would be the first to turn up to help fill in all those services their government is cutting - I think not!

Just a word to the wise, when the call goes out for volunteers and a long list of people sign up the chances are that out of 100 signee's ony 4 or 5 might turn up at any one time.   

I think that our big society is being broken up and will be resurrected as our big businesses, much the same way as our nationalised utilites were, so split up that there is no way we will ever get anything back.

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »
Couldn't agree with you more Mugsy.

And Geoff - interesting you should pass comment about ph1cs post, as I had exactly the same reaction.

Here's a few questions for you ph1c. We've had several years of tory administration now - care to tell us where the 'massive growth in middle management' within SBC has been? Or were you deliberately blurring the national and the local issues for political purposes? Where do you think the majority of cuts will come? Amongst the highly salaried, or the people who provision services?

... anyway, on to the point Muggins raised...

Although as I said I agree with the sentiment, politards promoting volunteering as a cost effective solution to societal issues to offset public spending cutbacks always smells a bit to me. Its been my experience working with SMASH that SBC has offered them precious little assistance - even though its their own agencies who make the majority of referrals! The only rare and small exceptions have been due to some pretty intense lobbying and the assistance of some good councillors.

The reality is that thanks to extensive legislation, insurance paranoia, CCBs and the choking bureaucracy of the modern state, its almost IMPOSSIBLE for 'volunteers' to work in any effective or legal capacity without the support of a number of paid people - and those salaries and costs have to be met from somewhere. 'Volunteers', despite what the ignorant or those chasing a sound-bite would like to believe, are VERY far from being free.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:39 pm »
As an addition to my last post, I thought of an instance - ref Maslows theory.

The government has said they will stop ASBO's, if they do this, (and I think they are doing this based on some odd anecdote overheard at a garden party - maybe that's what they are basing a lot of their theories on!) Anyway, if they do this - the troubles will start again in a very short time and I for one will be trapped indoors afraid to go out just in case the manic footballers are out, added to that Mr Muggin's gets in such a state that he is likely to keel over with a coronary - once widowed, my wings will be well and truly clipped.  No transport  and God knows what I will live on by then as all the benefits are being cut, inevitably the pensions will be too!  I shall be too cold to move far in the winter months and pratically half starved.  Of course, Mr Muggins will not survive his coronary because there will be no adequate health service left for him or me.

I will face a lonely old age as our children will need to work all hours God sends to keep hold of what they have achieved over the years.  They may even have to move away to get a decent education for the grandchildren.

I won't be having much time to think about doing something for nothing and neither will they - any of them!

Tobes:  I think that organistions like SMASH are better able survive the crisis because it is fairly obvious what you do will benefit the people you do it for.  People who want to volunteer have a clear idea of your aims and its importance, but of course it can only go on with money and support and it never ceases to surprise me that them that should be able to see it's importance, don't. It's scary.   

The things I'm involved in are a bit 'fluffier'  I know how important they are to a community, mostly in giving it a voice, but that is not so clear to some and not at all important to others - SBC are well able to ignore it and do. I should add, I am only still doing it because I am stubborn (and pasionate about these thigns), because goodness knows, practically every brick bat has been thrown our way in the last ten years. Not least being given the impression that we are of no consequence and a load of peasants.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:53:26 pm »
it'll end up being more than 2,000 jobs.........and in my opinion Bluh will seriously struggle to get volunteers to do the councils work. General attitude "why should i pay you my council tax and then work for you for free" , the councils going to get slapped in the face with this one. Quite interesting.....will have to see but , i think the councils going to be told to go f***k themselves after the cuts.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 07:01:55 pm »
This thread saddens me, because I believe this is as closer to the truth than the spiel from SBC.

Then I read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299335/George-Osbourne-Vince-Cable-gang-stalling-banks.html

and the sadness is replaced by anger at the audacity of the Banks and the impotence of Government, whatever colour / colours.

Just a word to the wise, when the call goes out for volunteers and a long list of people sign up the chances are that out of 100 signee's ony 4 or 5 might turn up at any one time.   

By uttering such opinions it makes you a defeatist, a subversive, acting against the interests of the people of Swindon. But I believe these opinions are realistic but mean that we are in danger of being the scapegoats when it goes tits-up.

I hope I am wrong.  :(

So, what happens when this army of volunteers do not step up to the plate in the numbers required? I did mention before about the policy in Bulgaria (a member state of the EU) of no work no pay, and the unemployed are expected to put in three days community work a week for their benefits. Could this be an option and then, when the recover starts to kick in, the likes of Serco will be waiting in the wings and privatisation of the council is complete.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »

Interesting point re: the Bulgarian model.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:58 pm »
when the volunteers dont show there is three answers:

1. Agency workers get called in
2. Staff get re-employed on flexible contracts
3. nothing gets done

its a pants idea, if the council hadnt of spent about £9,508,000 on bluhs vanity projects swindon would have been in a better position to deal with the crunch.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 11:15:20 pm »
Just outside Sofia presumably?

I been to Bulgaria and the reference gave me a flashback, I personally thought it was a charmless shithole, which is pretty close to how people sometimes describe me, despite that I loathed the place.

But, the model has potential if used responsibly, and there's the rub. I expect we are too enlightened to give it a go anyway.

I suspect the councillor to manager to frontline staff ratio to start altering in a non customer focussed way. It will all be because of the £1.4m cut and it will be very sad for the employees and the recipients of their servcies. Very, very sad.

Nobody will be accountable. Someone will say 'regrettable' in a statement to the press and adopt what they feel is a statesmanlike pose.

Still, when that Wifi income starts rolling in we will look back on this and laugh.

Ha Ha.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 01:53:23 am »
So what exactly do SBC run volunteer wise already......

I know in 'my sector', the Parks Rangers run volunteers and then theres the volunteer gardeners as well... http://www.swindon.gov.uk/july_august_september_2010.pdf
Looking down the list of event leaders one wonders whose names won't be there next year, They might be rangers (not Muggin's R of course, I have to say that or i'll be for it when he sees me next ;D) but they are active and do get regular volunteers.

Rumour has it, that the volunteers are refusing to work at Coate Water following last year's redundancies which decimated the rangers team there. I suppose they don't like the thought of doing work that should have been done by paid employees.

What happens if there is further cut backs, more disaffected volunteers?

What other oportunities are out there in SBC land?

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline ph1lc

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 08:39:16 am »
Look at The Councils Annual reports - they only list no's of employees earning over £50k. One would expect that they are mainly managers of some sort. The numbers have more than doubled in the last 5 years. Whilst the Tories have been in charge of the council, this growth is in line with a general growth in the public sector nationally.

In Swindon - have the services improved? I think not!
As I said before - start a cull of these ineffective managers

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:04 am »
Look at The Councils Annual reports - they only list no's of employees earning over £50k. One would expect that they are mainly managers of some sort. The numbers have more than doubled in the last 5 years. Whilst the Tories have been in charge of the council, this growth is in line with a general growth in the public sector nationally.

In Swindon - have the services improved? I think not!
As I said before - start a cull of these ineffective managers

The weird thing about SBC is that they have replicated what Labour have done nationally and been upheld as the outstanding example of how a Council shold be run by the Tories.

Offline ph1lc

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 08:56:57 am »
Then this Government is going to be in an awful lot of trouble. The public sector ha grown under the last Government by virtually exactly the ammount that the OBR says there will need to be cuts.
People will not accept cuts on the front line.
If what you are saying Richard is that we need 168 people on more that £50k to run Swindon properly - then the cut will have to come from the front line.

Personally I think all we need is a new Leader of the Council.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:46 am »
Without reading all the posts: 

In Swindon the 'public sector - at least the SBC has definitely NOT grown but shrunk, shrunk and shrunk again through the years.  I can name some officers who have gone in the series of redundancies, early retirements and non replacement of posts etc. etc. Some of the jolly good workers too and doing necessary things.  Along with them have gone the skills required by others.  Of course Swindon has grown by at least the size of Chippenham in that time too, so if the workforce has not grown to match the spead of that growth the shrinkage has been twofold.

Would the public sector that grew over the past ten years, be nurses and policmen, is anyone saying they were not wanted or needed?  I think there is a lot of ill informed chit chat going on.

If/when this government gets into trouble it will be because they are leaping before they are looking, and acting before consultation. Do I sense an unhealthy need in them to just unpick anything good or bad that the previous government did? 

Is this all just because no one wants to pay more tax or community charge?   

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.