Author Topic: Public Libraries | Culture Media and Sport | Written Answers  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Fido

• Talkswindon RSS Robot
Public Libraries | Culture Media and Sport | Written Answers
21 July 2010, 2:00 am

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport

(1)  how many new public libraries were built in England in each of the last 10 years;

(2)  how many public libraries were closed in England in each of the last 10 years.

Source: Justin Tomlinson's recent appearances (TheyWorkForYou)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Public Libraries | Culture Media and Sport | Written Answers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:51:44 pm »
I wonder why Justin would want to ask such a question?

Is he preparing the ground for more Library closures in Swindon?

Don't forget Fionuola that you promised to safeguard Libraries on your watch.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:46:25 am »
I think he did this as a token question or perhaps he's asking it to make a cover defense for the West Swindon library being compacted and halved to accomodate Social Services ? ? (That's the rumour anyway)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Rochelle

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:02 pm »
well I know what I think...

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:48 pm »
I'd have asked how many fell into both categories.

In fact, you begin to wonder don't you?
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:22:19 am »
I think he did this as a token question or perhaps he's asking it to make a cover defense for the West Swindon library being compacted and halved to accomodate Social Services ? ? (That's the rumour anyway)

But Mellon you have forgotten that The West Swindon Library is actually in South Swindon so perhaps Robert Buckland would care to comment on this situation?

Lets have a look at what is at stake with the alleged lost of one half the floor space at West Swindon Library,

1,  West Swindon Councillors will have to find another venue for their cluster meetings.  Now that fact alone should galvanise Nick Martin into action.  Remember what he did about the proposed Football Stadium at Shaw Forest Tip!

2.  It will prevent the library from continuing meeting and interest group meetings.

3.  There will be no room for any more exhibitions.

4.  Computers will have to be reduced in number as well as books.

5.  Staff would have to be racked and stacked or their numbers reduced ie Redundancies!!!

6.  Would there be room for the Home Library facilities a voluntary service to those who cannot get to the library through illness or old age?  The Old Town Library move to the Art Centre has already resulted in its Home Library Service being relocated to The Parks Library in Cavendish Square.  This has already resulted in the loss of one volunteer and will result in increased costs.  Does Shirley Burnham the lady who saved old town Library know about this I wonder?

7.  Unlike a number of other facilities close to one another the West Swindon Library is the only choice for the people of West Swindon who would otherwise have to travel to the centre of town.

8.  Is the final closure of Walcot Library imminent as they only lend sixteen books a day with all the Library support staff costs still being incurred?

8.  So is this the new 'Vision' that our Rod has for our Public Libraries?

If so there could be an anahilation of Tory Councillors at the next elections.

so you had better get your act together and stop sitting on your hands and get involved because once you lose these facilities you will NEVER get them back.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:46:58 pm »
are you talking to me Richard? if so...id rather fight for Social Services to have their own space as a library is a leisure facility and Social Services is not leisure. i havent forgotten the fact seeing as where i live is contained in Bucklands Constituency aka 'south swindon', so in generalisation it is south swindon and Buckland is the elected MP. And if your telling me to get off my arse.....why should i do the work, the councillors are there to do fight on our behalf . that is why they are elected into these positions, but on past experience they are lazy, useless, selfish tossers with no accountability or public relations regarding communications. Perhaps Richard, with your experience these questions should be cast to councillors in the council chamber.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:17:53 pm »
No Mellon I am not talking to you specifically.

I am rather suprised and more than somewhat disappointed that this news hasn't stirred up a hornets nest!!

As for waiting for my Councillors, well as two of them are in the cabinet I have no expectation as Rod will be their first and foremost criteria.  Oh for all out elections.

As Robert reads this I hope he will come here on his own valition and comment.  Surely his embarassment cannot be contained any longer?  Or is this yet anothercase for They work for You?  He does reply and I need to collate the reply I need to make about Crass Barriers or rather Crass Barriers for all the good they do and the obsene waste of public money their replacement and extension incurs.

If we wait for others we will be pushing up daisies before anything actually happens.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »
it wont stir a hornets nest until it is too late to do anything and it starts affecting peoples day to day lives, or people give up trying to communicate with councillors because they wont engage....im surprised Mr Wakefield has not said anything yet. I dont quite understand how Mr Buckland would be embarrassed by this?? 

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 09:31:09 pm »
it wont stir a hornets nest until it is too late to do anything and it starts affecting peoples day to day lives, or people give up trying to communicate with councillors because they wont engage....im surprised Mr Wakefield has not said anything yet. I dont quite understand how Mr Buckland would be embarrassed by this??

Yes Councillor Wakefield and the other Councillors are noted for their silence. 

and they will have to engage or pay the price at the ballot box.  Are you standing in the next elections Mellon?

As for Robert Buckland I thought he had a keen interest in the Library service as I understand he is in regular attendence in Walcot and it is said he is holding his surgeries there.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »
i dont know yet Richard, ive got to sort a job out yet....tough times ahead.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
Re: Public Libraries - their value and value of social services
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 06:59:59 am »
I would say Mellon that libraries are an educational and leisure service...

and as such do play a key role, or have the potential to, in individual and community self-awareness and potential for the breaking of cycles of deprivation...

however, of course I agree that Social Services is a vital lifeline that must be well-resourced, well managed and well delivered.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
Re: Public Libraries - their defence
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 07:08:55 am »
...and YES - up in arms we indeed must get if we are to be able to hold our heads up even in a small way when stringent cuts are nodded through at Cabinet and Council without hardly a whimper...and when even the whimpers we manage between us are finally declared...

"not illegal"

"not the business of this or that 'auditor' "

see you Jimmy ...at the ballot box  (they voted us in last time and we're betting they'll (the majority under present voting system) will vote us in again next time...in sufficient numbers to carry on business as usual !!

we do get the local and national govt we deserve... but then the rules and systems and goalposts are deliberately kept in a blur of media and political fog...

it's 'well' time for a team/party/individual local and national Demystifier !

which I guess is a ...clarifier of the key influencing factors in how we run society...such a small question at this time on a Sunday morning...

if not now...when ???

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 11:52:21 am »

and as such do play a key role, or have the potential to, in individual and community self-awareness and potential for the breaking of cycles of deprivation...

however, of course I agree that Social Services is a vital lifeline that must be well-resourced, well managed and well delivered.

Well Tony why interfere with them then?

Would you say that Walcot (your patch) has been a success lending sixteen books a day?

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »

Would you say that Walcot (your patch) has been a success lending sixteen books a day?

Interfere if for improvement and wider access..otherwise sustain if poss..

and Walcot..my area ?  I let it here be known that I am now ..

"an Old Town bohemian" (my current chosen phrase)  for the record...I find it's a sociable community up here...although, still there are "library" and many other community issues of course...

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 07:57:34 pm »

Interfere if for improvement and wider access..otherwise sustain if poss..

and Walcot..my area ?  I let it here be known that I am now ..

"an Old Town bohemian" (my current chosen phrase)  for the record...I find it's a sociable community up here...although, still there are "library" and many other community issues of course...

its not an improvement, if anything its going to screw both of the entities over. The library loses space and social services is effectively hampered , its ridiculous and pointless. i can honestly say that this is one of the worst fabrications of the swindon cabinet recently concieved.....no good will come of this at all.

in response to poemagrams "whimper" comment earlier, i think that in itself is an under-estimation of the Talkswindon contributors. I feel that most of the contributors post a valid and coherent response or view, "whimper" is i think the wrong word for posts from contributors, almost silly i say but netherless it is your personal view of the comments and i cant argue that because its your right to free speech.

as for the library as an educational service.....yes you are right, but its not a essential service by local administration and central government which makes it very vulnerable and an easy target...which is wrong, soon the council will start doing the "weigh" game, by looking at visitor figures and lending figures compared to cost and with the cuts on the way i can see the library gone and social services taking over the scene.....it is stupid but its the change in which voters seeked and now everyone is getting stuck with the results. Its officially "thatceronism" at work.

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »

I'd have borrowed more, but I can't afford the outlay on crayons.

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Armand Tamzarian2

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 10:42:37 pm »
By way of clarification, the Council is legally required to provide a "comprehensive and efficient" library service which must be free at the point of delivery.

Unfortunately, the terms "comprehensive and efficient" have never been officially defined, though the recent enquiry into proposed library closures in the Wirral found that they had failed to deliver a comprehensive and efficient service by not fully consulting the public on their proposals.

So, unless the law is changed, Swindon must retaiin a library service, the question is, what will it look like?

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
Re: Public Libraries - and 'whimper' retraction
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 11:00:09 pm »

[/quote]

in response to poemagrams "whimper" comment earlier, i think that in itself is an under-estimation of the Talkswindon contributors. I feel that most of the contributors post a valid and coherent response or view, "whimper" is i think the wrong word for posts from contributors, almost silly i say but netherless it is your personal view of the comments and i cant argue that because its your right to free speech.

[/quote]

...and YES - up in arms we indeed must get if we are to be able to hold our heads up even in a small way when stringent cuts are nodded through at Cabinet and Council without hardly a whimper...and when even the whimpers we manage between us are finally declared...

"not illegal"

"not the business of this or that 'auditor' "

In saying the above earlier, I was not trying to cast aspersions on Talkswindon posts and actions...If my "whimper" use is taken in context..of the topic I was discussing and on the evidence of the demonstrated "power' of the political controlling body locally (conservatives) - even when faced with evidenced opposition and arguments as per TS and other fora and individuals - then , although strong, I do think "whimper" goes some way to refer to it...whimper in proportion to the changes we seem to be able to bring about.  I conjecture of course...not knowing how cllrs and officers react personally and professionally to TS behind the scenes.

In using the 'whimper' term I was as much challenging myself as any other person wishing to respond to the post.  No, I don't want to waste time and energy whimpering...so now I'll retract that phrase and use..phrases like "opposing views" or "protest' etc.

No offence meant.

cheers

Tony

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 07:29:52 am »

In saying the above earlier, I was not trying to cast aspersions on Talkswindon posts and actions...If my "whimper" use is taken in context..of the topic I was discussing and on the evidence of the demonstrated "power' of the political controlling body locally (conservatives) - even when faced with evidenced opposition and arguments as per TS and other fora and individuals - then , although strong, I do think "whimper" goes some way to refer to it...whimper in proportion to the changes we seem to be able to bring about.  I conjecture of course...not knowing how cllrs and officers react personally and professionally to TS behind the scenes.

In using the 'whimper' term I was as much challenging myself as any other person wishing to respond to the post.  No, I don't want to waste time and energy whimpering...so now I'll retract that phrase and use..phrases like "opposing views" or "protest' etc.

No offence meant.

cheers

Tony

I can quite understand Poemogram’s train of thought in his post and, without wishing to cause any similar offence with regard to TS’s effectiveness at debating the issues and the arguments, it’s the voice that is heard by the wider public at the end of the day that will matter. Again, with the greatest of respect to TS and the many posters and guests, Swindon has a population of a few hundred thousand and, like most forms of media, you can never get you message out to all those people without more prominence of action.

Poemogram probably remembers (and was probably involved in) the Poll Tax protests that roared throughout this town. More recently the Save the Shaw Forest campaign stopped the stadium plans dead. There are more I could quote but what all of these protests highlight is the need to have a passion and take some direct action.

Now we’ve seen TS’er at all sorts of council meetings and we’ve seen the shenanigans that some of the councillors and officials have got up to so that even TS’ers points and questions are not recorded properly let alone answered. Isn’t it time for some more direct action, time to make even more people sit up, listen and more importantly get involved?

There’s been a lot of talk on TS from time to time about recording what goes on at council meetings but nothing been done to further that idea. There is a great need to make the wider Swindon public aware of TS and what it is doing through it’s members to hold council to account.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to start recording what’s happening at council meetings and then broadcast on TakSwindon TV, they can’t stop you – they’re a public meetings. And just as an idea – what about also starting a TalkSwindon facebook group which links directly onto the TS site and might encourage even more Swindon residents to join TS. I know there are a few Swindon based FB groups (including one called Swindon Borough Council are a bunch of  *****)

I don’t tweet or twitter or have a blog, and I’m sure there are many TS’er who will also do other forums. It really wouldn’t take much to engage a much wider audience and let people know just what is being done in their name in Swindon Council.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.