Author Topic: Fountain is Being Worked On  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Fountain is Being Worked On
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:34 pm »
Today it was noticed that the flag stones were up around the fountain, so it looks like work is underway on possibly containing the water run off? Anyone else notice the work being undertaken?
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: Fountain is Being Worked On
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:54:43 pm »
The question that needs asking is who will pay for this?
Bobby

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »
Steve,

As Swindon's most effective non-politically affiliated councillor, can I ask you to take something up on my behalf? It seems to me that the public arts in this town are in danger of becoming a complete joke. First there was the millennium clock that half the time never worked, now we have 'le pissoir': It seems pretty obvious to one and all that this'll get switched off after the first frost and inevitable fall and injury which'll see the council sued (unless the borough solicitor realises the risk first).

Just round the corner in Farnsby street we have what was considered at the time to be a cutting edge light sculpture which now barely works - three quarters of the bulbs are blown and the rest of it is filled with ver-de-gris.  (not sure if this google street map link will work, but this is what I'm talking about: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=farringdon%20road%20swindon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl )

I'm all for public art - but its seems that SBC has an obviously poor record conceiving, managing and maintaining them. Things which should enhance our public environment actually end up making it (and us) look ridiculous or shoddy. I think it would be worth looking at the additional costs of maintaining public art - and I think the council should only agree to additional works if they commit to setting aside reasonable budgets to ensure that they can be kept working and looking good.

[edit] - And as Bobby says, be honest about the cost. Many of these pieces of art are presented to us as 'free', having come from developers money - but to keep them looking good requires ongoing cost...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:24:35 pm »
Tobes wrote "Just round the corner in Farnsby street we have what was considered at the time to be a cutting edge light sculpture which now barely works - three quarters of the bulbs are blown and the rest of it is filled with ver-de-gris"   

That would be the biggest Aspidestra Antirhinum  in the world then?

Whilst you are at it Steve, please ask about the Orchid art work that was supposed to be going up whwre the Cricklade road meets Thamesdwon Drive, I'e been looking forward to that for some years now.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:03:09 pm »
That famous tree of light was sponsored by Durex, or at least I think so!
It used to be affectionately known as The Condom Tree.
There was a letter recently by an art student explaining to simple souls like me what the fountain portrayed. He went to great lengths extolling it's beauty and how it relates to the future of Swindon.
My comment would be "Yes it does relate to our future.
It is going down the drain!"
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »
Today it was noticed that the flag stones were up around the fountain, so it looks like work is underway on possibly containing the water run off? Anyone else notice the work being undertaken?

Forgot to tell you it had a fence around it too, so no chance for the clubbers to avail themselves of it presently then!

Another unfortunate thing that should be noted is that the wonderful new £4.9m paving slabs are already looking the worse for wear with stains etc.

and someone made the observation that old bricks gave easy access to any required underground service work and how easy will this be now and for that matter how costly?

and of course no wonder this is all costing so much money.  It will probably need redoing before it is finished at this rate.

What an obsene waste of public money in these hard times.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »
Why did they take the bricks away anyway? Did rod catch his slippers on one while running upto the BBC studio?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:43:33 pm »
Why did they take the bricks away anyway? Did rod catch his slippers on one while running upto the BBC studio?

It's called Regeneration Mellon!!

but have you seen just how many To Let Boards have manifested themselves in Regent Street so is it working one must ask or could the money have been better spent on stimulating Business Enterprise in Regent Street? 

A job for the Director of Business Tranformation or another Opportunity for Rikki Hunt to shine?

Maybe we do need Wi-fi in the Centre of Town after all but wasn't that part of the Plan originally anyway?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:23 am »
To be fair, those bricks were put down in such an haphazard way, not done properly, over time they have sunk and heaved in places, that it  is like walking on  the ocean waves,  (As you get older, you notice such things) but this is about making sure the job is done properly. 

So let's hope they thoroughly check the new slabs.   

Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »
Has the Wet Patch gained a Hump? Take a look

http://swindoncentric.blogspot.com/

Maybe the hump is a recycled sleeping policeman that was one of several removed from the road in West Swindon where they were rumoured to have been put in the wrong road?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »
See 'they' do read TS, I suggested a few weeks agao thatif they could persuade the water to flow slightly to the left it could water the tree!

Does the hump stick up that much, if it does won't a few ankles be ricked on it? 

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:29:40 am »
It's a bit depressing that after thousands of years of paving by mankind, some examples of which have lasted for thousands of years, Council can't manage a town centre, absolutely bloody pitiful.

I'll bet they paid over the odds to start with, paid over the odds for the open sewer installation (directly or indirectly) and are now paying over the odds for the repairs, unless someone has had the sense of duty to bang the contractors head repeatedly in a door until they cough up.

Every time I read stuff like this me whimsical 'empty the bins' takes on a bit more resonance.

Empty the bins is my vibrant vision.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:30:06 am »
Went past there this morning and the Electricity Company have dug a bloody great hole.
It appears that when digging to assist the drainage someone cut an electicity supply cable.
I give up!
Bobby

Offline Alex

• Charter Member
    • Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:30 pm »
Went past there this morning and the Electricity Company have dug a bloody great hole.
It appears that when digging to assist the drainage someone cut an electicity supply cable.
I give up!

You couldn't make this up either could you? I wonder if it might find its way into Private Eye? Or Mock the Week?

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 07:39:01 pm »
"Right said Fred, climbing up a ladder "..

google it you young 'uns !

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »
I give up!

You couldn't make this up either could you? I wonder if it might find its way into Private Eye? Or Mock the Week?

Wait a sec.... I'll see if a bin lorry driver can collide with it?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 09:27:26 pm »

Think you'll find that this is now enshrined in law. Whenever a local authority contractor, or sub contractor, digs a hole more than 18" deep they are contractually obliged to sever a power cable. Where no power cable is readily available it is permissible to hack through a comms cable. The crowning achievement of course is a water main. The are bonus payments for gusher height.

Every JCB driver dreams of the triple crown with one bucket scoop, but the real kudos goes to those digging ninjas who take on a power cable with nothing more than a humble shovel.

You get nothing for doing a sewer, it's not big or clever.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
Re: Fountain is Being Worked On - Saturday afternoon
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 10:56:39 pm »
busy busy today Saturday on the Fountain Pvers...all juggled with and cracks filled in with sloppy stuff...remains now to be seen when it either rains or the fount is switched on...

holding breath...

watered tree ?  flooded BHS or drains sweetly into new little gully ?

is it just me...or is the sculpture a bit like a couple of damp pringles !!

oops but then I guess my poemy things could be likened to odd things too..

behave Tony

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 11:38:05 am »
Fix the Pissour (now we've got it), fix the Farnsby Street light sculpture - and as Mart says EMPTY THE BINS

All of which could have been paid for by the utterly failed WiFi project, n'est pas?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 11:50:35 am »
Fix the Pissour (now we've got it), fix the Farnsby Street light sculpture - and as Mart says EMPTY THE BINS

All of which could have been paid for by the utterly failed WiFi project, n'est pas?

Are we agreed that Wi-fi is dead then Tobes? 

Or is it about to receive yet more money from its Council Bankers?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.