Author Topic: Food: Labelling | Health | Written Answers  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Fido

• Talkswindon RSS Robot
Food: Labelling | Health | Written Answers
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:28:12 pm »
Food: Labelling | Health | Written Answers
13 July 2010, 2:00 am

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what steps he plans to take to enforce clearer food labelling to raise public awareness of the use of trans fats in the food industry.

Source: Justin Tomlinson's recent appearances (TheyWorkForYou)

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
Re: Food: Labelling | Health | Written Answers
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »
Is it me, or are his questions largely bollocks?
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:55:37 pm »
I think the question we need to ask is how much a written question costs.
Yes Mart they are a load of bollocks as they were when he was a councillor.
Now Mummy has taken over his mantle.
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:58:09 pm »
I have no doubt when I dub his questions 'bollocks' some people think I am an ignorant dollop.

I just think they are a mite esoteric and am struggling to find relevance to the issues affecting his constituents.

It's a bit 'look how wired in to the minutae I am'. Well, instead of writing all that I choose to say 'bollocks'.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:55 am »
Perhaps he is just practicing a newly learned skill?
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Monkey Boy

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:51 pm »
It could also be that he has been put on various working groups by the Government to help develop/inform future policy?  This may then be the "accepted protocol" to get the information required.  Who knows??!?!?  Seems harsh to judge him unless you know the facts in my opinion.

Maybe someone should go to his surgery and ask what was behind his recent questions?  Might be the quickest way to find out then we can judge him at leisure and in an informed way!   ;)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:28:44 pm »
Not as stupid a question as some might think if you are trying to reduce obesity

Trans fats are chemically altered vegetable oils. They are produced artificially in a process called hydrogenation which turns liquid oil into solid fat.
Trans fats can be found in thousands of processed foods from sweets and biscuits to ready meals. They are used because they are cheap, add bulk to products, have a neutral flavour and give products a long shelf life. They have no nutritional value.
Trans fats have been linked to high cholesterol, which can lead to health conditions such as heart attacks and strokes.
In the UK, there is no specific requirement for the trans fat content of products to be included on food labelling.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:58 pm »
Actually when I read the question, I thought perhaps some concerned mum has asked him what he knows about trans fats and what can he do to help get it reduced, but the list of questions don't make sense without that sort of info to back them up.  At the moment they just look like a list of questions by someone twiddling his thumbs. 

By the way I have been trying to reduce obesity for 50 years, now, if anyone comes up with an answer that does not involve starvation, or attempting to heave my old bones around a race track, tummy tucks and strange medication, then don't hesitate to let me know.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 05:27:52 pm »
Actually when I read the question, I thought perhaps some concerned mum has asked him what he knows about trans fats and what can he do to help get it reduced, but the list of questions don't make sense without that sort of info to back them up.  At the moment they just look like a list of questions by someone twiddling his thumbs. 

By the way I have been trying to reduce obesity for 50 years, now, if anyone comes up with an answer that does not involve starvation, or attempting to heave my old bones around a race track, tummy tucks and strange medication, then don't hesitate to let me know.

Have you tried the All-bran, Baked Beans and Prune Juice diet. You can eat as much of it as you like but you will need to do a little bit of running.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:17 pm »
Not as stupid a question as some might think if you are trying to reduce obesity

get the porky buggers on a treadmill..........is it not upto the person who eats the food to check whats in it? and is it their decision whether they eat it or not? id say yes...same as the alcohol binge thing, responsibility falls with the consumer. The more interference there is with little luxuries the more people with stick their fingers up and say "who the hell are you to tell me what i can and cant do"......its a pointless exercise and if this argument extends to chunky tots, its the parents decision whether to give their kids that food stuff 
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 06:00:15 pm »
Actually Mellon, apart for the smoking thing, that's what happens,  they advice you what you are doing wrong, give yo every opportunity to put it right,  then leave it to you whether or not you take their advice.   

If they didn't I'd be the 6 stone I deserve to be!

You just have to remember that with us 'porky buggers', the fat is on the hips not aorund the brain!  No offence taken!

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »
fair point muggins..........i shall retreat.  ;D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:08:11 pm »
Mmmm.

Bollocks it is then.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 10:01:02 am »
I forgot to thank Chris Watts for his advice about the beans and prunes,

Actually I do try to take government advice,

1. Drink 8 glasses of water a day
2. eat five pieces of fruit and veg (not potatoes) a day
3. take 10,000 steps a day.

I find that if I follow the first two to the letter, the 3rd is achieved by running up and down stairs all day to the smallest room.  I can't take exercise outside because I would need to be within sprinting distance of a public convenience.

I suppose if I took Chris's advice I would have little help with propulsion on my way up the stairs.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 01:21:36 pm »

is it not upto the person who eats the food to check whats in it? and is it their decision whether they eat it or not? id say yes...same as the alcohol binge thing, responsibility falls with the consumer. The more interference there is with little luxuries the more people with stick their fingers up and say "who the hell are you to tell me what i can and cant do"......its a pointless exercise and if this argument extends to chunky tots, its the parents decision whether to give their kids that food stuff

And without trying to sound insulting Mellon, just how do you decide what IS in the tin if the labelling is not clear?

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what steps he plans to take to enforce clearer food labelling to raise public awareness of the use of trans fats in the food industry.

Which is the very point Justin is trying to raise with the question

Food manufacturers, the real masters of spin, for a long time have found alternative ways pumping things into our food which many consumers clearly do not understand.

With regard to Trans Fats;

Trans fats (also called trans fatty acids) don't have to be included in the nutritional information provided on a food label unless a specific trans fats claim has been made such as 'low in trans fats'. And they don't need to be listed in the ingredients.

Trans fats have a similar effect on blood cholesterol to saturated fats. They raise the type of cholesterol in the blood that increases the risk of coronary heart disease. Some evidence suggests that the effects of these trans fats may be worse than saturated fats.

So the question is worth repeating, without clear labelling just how do you know what’s in the food you are eating?

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 06:07:14 pm »
Bogomil is spot on.

People should be able to clearly see what is in what they are eating and then you can make a conscious choice.

Some of the tricks of labelling are a disgrace in my opionion, hence why I have been pushing this issue.

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:03 pm »
3. take 10,000 steps a day.

After 1 week you will be 37 miles from home.

As far as I am concerned it is all pretty simple and does not warrant all of this furore. A significant proportion of bloaters are that way cos they eat shoite and do not do enough exercise. If a pizza was endorsed 'If you eat 9 of these a week your complexion will become sallow and the only clothes that fit you will be, ironically, sporting clothes'

I know this, during the years my neck went on holiday and my clothes came from so far back on the peg they said 'Made in Narnia' on the label (nicked that, buggered if I can remember who from) I could polish off a Bargain Bucket on my own. Do you know when I stopped necking junk in large quantities I became mobile.

This is the kind of inane bollocks that sees takeway coffee labelled as hot and the alleged requirement by Winnebago to have a sticker warning drivers not to abandon the wheel to go and make a brew whilst in motion.

If food has been messed with and is packaged it's probably been buggered about with in a negative way, and if it's that bad for you then feckin ban it.

I'm off for a fag to see what this particular packet will do for me.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »
Bit pointless now that. The FSA has been kicked out the door, nice to see you back Tomlinson.......point acknowledged about the labelling, yes there needs to be clear labelling but then (in my experience) it only seems to be nutri-nuts and people with allergies that check what's in the food.......now I'm not a nutri-nut nor do I have allergies but I only check what's in something if I'm not sure what it is .....you want to see something interesting have a look at a tin of hotdogs and see what's in it or anything that has "mechanically recovered meat" in it......a few small suprises

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »
It's not a surprise at all!

You pay 3d for an 18lb can of hot dogs you're getting parts of an animal the animal didn't know it had. I mean what what part of the animal is a hot dog (erm, skip that) or a burger, how many fish have fingers and I have never seen a pot noodle plantation.

The more removed from it's original state a food item is the the more added bonuses you are getting. it's up to you whether you choose to eat it or not, or you might just limit yourself to a nibble now and again, like my on, off relationship with kebabs.

Fact is a baked spud with something worthy on it is cost effective an nutritious, it's just boring, which is why you scoff a burger or a Ginsters, I just do not accept the 'Oooh, I didn't know it would make me fat' argument.

It's not like you eat your first lard fritter and poof! Instant weight gain. It's a gradual thing and anyone with the intelligence to operate a crisp packet knows what should be eaten in moderation.

Time for another fag, apparently it will hampermy ability to run a marathon, yeah that and being bone idle.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 10:42:51 pm »
Its quite interesting that just the word 'economy' on a burger box allows the amount of beef to be reduced by a substantial amount. As for hotdogs its mainly chicken MRM and other parts of animals as there is a certain amount of 'chicken parts' or indeed animal parts that can be put into foods.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.