Author Topic: Financial Services: Education | Education | Written Answers  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Fido

• Talkswindon RSS Robot
Financial Services: Education | Education | Written Answers
7 July 2010, 2:00 am

To ask the Secretary of State for Education if he will take steps to include the provision of financial education within the National Curriculum.

Source: Justin Tomlinson's recent appearances (TheyWorkForYou)

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
Re: Financial Services: Education | Education | Written Answers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:32 pm »
Can't imagine what for.

We have managed very nicely for donkeys years with no financial expertise at all.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:55:47 pm »
Can't imagine what for.

We have managed very nicely for donkeys years with no financial expertise at all.

also why is Cllr Tomlinson going on about it.....he still has not coughed up his own financial status
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:19:51 am by Mellon »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:56 pm »
Have you two fallen out?

He is merely representing his people. I don't know about you but the provision of financial education is the sole topic of converstaion wherever I go.

Nobody gives a feck about pay freezes, wars, collapsing schools, immigration, global recessions that were not Gordnon's fault, the incipient (good word, hope it's the right one) creep back of the expenses gravy train or oily beaches in the colonies.

Nope, financial education, it's like Subomania all over again. He's got my vote.

(well actually that last bit is a fib)
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:04:38 pm »
Michael Gove has a lot to answer for  :tickedoff:
I went to the SWGfl Regional ICT conference at Bristol University Campus last week.
I attended various seminars, but it was the guest speakers who were fantastic and made a lot of sense.

Professor Tanya Byron was one of them. She did her speech and asked for comments to take back with her for when she meets Michael Gove re: cuts in Education et al.
Several people commented from various educational establishments across the country, I also had my say.
We were also given an email link for Tanya to email our comments and evidence as to how the cuts etc, will impact on the children's learning. I have plenty, to I will be compiling a very long and in depth email.

Doug Dickinson was the other guest speaker, followed by Sir Bob Geldof - He was brilliant too !
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:19:22 pm »
Don't forget to start your letter:

We object to......................................   Best get straight to the point!!
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »
This question was based on some work Nationwide kindly provided me.

According to their research 91% of people who have got into financial difficulties felt that had they had a better understanding of finances they wouldn't have found themselves in the position they faced.  I have also discussed this with some residents with experience in this area, so I am keen to see better provision of financial skills within the school system.

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:36 pm »
Don't spend more than you earn.

If you must borrow money for those lifetime purchases, do not borrow it from a bloke called Razor Eddie. Swallow your pride and borrow it from someone with a hight street operation, it's moderately safer. Make sure you can, with reasonable certainty, afford the repayments.

Oh, and earn your money, it's best for everyone.

Ooops, nearly forgot. The Government will stiff you for 40% of everything you earn, the stiff you again on nearly everything you purchase.

The only winner in all of this is, of course, Razor Eddie.

That's my thesis.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:19:56 am »
Justin, until relatively recently I was unaware of Credit Unions and their role in less well off areas.

What does the Government intend to do about supporting these voluntary organisations to keep the vunerable away from the loan sharks?

I know you are not my MP but having undetaken this issue and working for Swindon as a whole will you progress this aspect please?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:07:25 pm »
If you need a consituent to ask that question, I will endorse Richards question.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 08:25:49 pm »
Justin, until relatively recently I was unaware of Credit Unions and their role in less well off areas.

What does the Government intend to do about supporting these voluntary organisations to keep the vunerable away from the loan sharks?

I know you are not my MP but having undetaken this issue and working for Swindon as a whole will you progress this aspect please?

Absolutely, no probs I will take that forward as you are spot on - thank you for the suggestion.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:02 am »
Whilst we are on the subject of Credit Unions, we could all help by investing some cash in them - I believe last year they paid a better return than most other places.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.