Author Topic: Zero Point Services – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 3966 times)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: Zero Point Services – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 06:00:32 pm »
I have heard talk of Labour having a Female only shortlists for next May except in Central where their leader is seeking re election.

Perhaps someone from the Labour Party would care to deny this rumour as being untrue because it needs to be if they stand any chance of geting more Councillors elected and having any impact on our future.

Surely for the greater good the best candidate of either sex is the one who should be selected by any party?
I am reliably informed that the wards with female only shortlists are Parks, Moredon and Walcot.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 06:09:33 pm »
MMmmmmm makes you wonder what bloke they want to get rid of or not want to get in?

I predict that thee will not be three wards with women only shortlists, maybe one, but not three.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:23 pm »
It will always be the case because, as many TS’er will rightly say, once someone puts their head above the parapet they become fair game. So maybe the RIGHT people, who genuinely want to help their community, get fed up of being the target for everything that goes wrong within the council and decide to have a quieter life. It’s far far easier to shake your head and criticise from the sidelines than it is to get into the fray and try to do something about it.

Indeed it is. But, if you actively pursue someone's vote, and get it, it goes with the territory doesn't it? If someone does something notable and I heard about it I'd be all pink and fuzzy, as it is there is a positive bumper crop of things going wrong and there seems to be plenty to come.

Who should we have a pop at instead of our representatives?
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 02:56:14 pm »
I have heard talk of Labour having a Female only shortlists for next May except in Central where their leader is seeking re election.

Perhaps someone from the Labour Party would care to deny this rumour as being untrue because it needs to be if they stand any chance of geting more Councillors elected and having any impact on our future.

Surely for the greater good the best candidate of either sex is the one who should be selected by any party?
I am reliably informed that the wards with female only shortlists are Parks, Moredon and Walcot.

I don't have much time for women-only shortlists unless the women on the list are on the list because they are the best candidates.

Labour need to keep Derique Montaut well away from this campaign if they want to re-take Moredon.  Residents have long memories and Monty is not as popular there as he might like to think.

Ooh, my muse is stirring - I feel a blog coming on.....   ;D

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »

It will always be the case because, as many TS’er will rightly say, once someone puts their head above the parapet they become fair game. So maybe the RIGHT people, who genuinely want to help their community, get fed up of being the target for everything that goes wrong within the council and decide to have a quieter life. It’s far far easier to shake your head and criticise from the sidelines than it is to get into the fray and try to do something about it.

Interesting that you describe vocal, interested and engaged members of the electorate as: 'Criticising from the sidelines'. 

Without an engaged electorate taking an interest in local politics and workings of council, what you have is a political circle-jerk, and when Bluh recently described some of his critics as: 'Not even in politics', he exposed himself as the biggest jerk in a circle he would prefer remains exclusive to the chosen few.           

Also, 'Getting into the fray' and 'doing something about it' is a taunt more often issued by the likes of Cllr Peter Greenhalgh than thoughtful and incisive contributors to this forum.  It is a recognised mechanism for 'inviting' community champions, activists and vocal folk like ex-councillor Stephanie Exell into 'the big tent'.  Stephanie had a good go at 'doing something about it' and as expected, when she did try to change things for the better, the circle jerk spat her out and stamped on her.   

As Bogo says:

I’ve pointed out on TS more than one that whilst many poster talk about “The Council” and “Councillors” making decisions, it is in fact a minority of councillors, supported by the group majority, that are making these decisions.

Yes, and this is Bluh's council.  He runs it like the Borg Collective* and anyone entering the collective via the Tory entrance is either assimilated or spat out and shat upon. (I note that briefings against Stephanie Exell have already begun).

No-one should consider themselves to be on the sidelines or being 'out of the fray' because they're not a councillor.  Change does need to come from within, with critical friends assisting from without.  Councillors of the largest political group may not consider me a 'critical friend' to them, but they are incapable of thinking holistically  ;)

Criticising the electorate for passing comment but not running for office themselves does not mitigate our Councillors own failure to precipitate a much needed change in political culture and, tbh,  I'm a little saddened to see Bogomil promoting a worn out artifact of Dickensian quill-pen democracy. 

One day, probably quite soon, Quill pen politicians will realise that the electorate can, is, (and is perfectly entitled to), hammer on the doors of the civic chamber and interrupt the circle-jerk, without needing to be there in person.

* Like the Swindon Tory group, the Borg Collective is also devoid of mercy or compassion.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »
Yes, does seem a mad method of defence, accusing people of not being a oouncillor - there being a finite number that could be, even if hundreds wished to be.

Also the position of those 'sidelines' are blurred according to which side of them you stand on. 

If you can't get on the pitch, how can people complain that you are not in the 'play'. 

I think that maybe this is the kind of things councillors talk about amongst themselves as reasons why they should not engage or take notice.  However anyone not a councillor can soon explain why they should.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.