Author Topic: Zero Point Services – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
Zero Point Services – To Be or Not To Be
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:48 am »
Rodigarch has made it clear that the council can not carry on doing things the way it has done in the past. I understand that last night he briefed the Scrutiny committee on HIS plans for Swindon in the next 12 months. During this presentation to the committee I understand it was made clear that there will have to be a “Debate” on what services the council continues to provide and what level of “Safety Net” is provided to those in need of the councils statutory services.

So the questions are
1. What Services should the council be providing to the people of Swindon?
2. What Services should/could the council discontinue?
3. What level of safety net should be provided for those in most need?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Zero Point Services – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:34:30 pm »
Q 2a:  Should the Rodigarch also cease and desist from squandering public money on his vanity pRodjects

Q 3a:  The construction of a 'safety net' should be preceded by the immediate resignation of Councillor Mark Edwards as lead member for finance.

I feel a blogging session coming on......no where did  I put his budget speech.....ah yes, here we are.  Remember this?

"This is a budget that marks our final promotion from the bottom division of poor performing councils to the cusp of being in the premier league of England’s best.
It is a budget that protects vital public services for the elderly and the vulnerable.
It is a budget that protects local residents.
It is a budget that protects staff; with fewer redundancies than many other councils are proposing.

And, to spare you the tension of waiting, it is a budget that proposes a mere 1.8% average council tax increase. The lowest increase ever proposed in this chamber based on a fully costed and worked up budget."

To save you the tension of guessing who started his budget speech with the above quote, I'll tell you.

It was the Budget Speech delivered to the Council by Mark Edwards on the 22nd February 2010.  Crap speech, full of spin. Crap budget, full of gambles which paid off politically, (in Mays elections), but which were very unlikely to work financially.  And they haven't.  In short, a fully worked up and very costly politard whose fiscal ineptitude is going to hurt a lot of local people.

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:45 pm »
And it was guessed even then that this was the case- so no surprises.....

How much more can people take of these politicians?   My "puke" icon's gone.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:46 am »
And it was guessed even then that this was the case- so no surprises.....

How much more can people take of these politicians?   My "puke" icon's gone.

Well they got re-elected this year so someone must like them, maybe 2012 will tell as there will be an all out election then from the review taking place in September this year

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »
I notice in todays Adver - Coun Bluh has already determined that 'we who make suggestions' are not joining up the dots and we ignore the inter related aspects of various activities; which means my suggestion that we dispense with the Health Ambassadors (please tell me if you have ever seen one) is not a good idea.

Strange that ideas from the public are kicked into touch unless they accord with what the Leader wants

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:18:41 pm »
I know a Health ambassador - I'll find out more. I fancy they may be only working in areas of greatest need.  I also fancy that they might be on very few hours. So getting rid of them might not make that much difference to the greater pot.   They are not just a leader idea, in fact I think he had very little to do with getting them or keeping them.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:45 pm »

Well they got re-elected this year so someone must like them, maybe 2012 will tell as there will be an all out election then from the review taking place in September this year

Thanks for reminding me, I must phone my friend at the Local Government Boundary Commission tonight and have a little chat about this  :)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:59 pm »
My betting is that some of the smaller wards, like Walcot, and Penhill will be merged into other wards, whilst Abbey Meads will be split.
I think Walcot will probably be split between Parks and Eastcott, Penhill into Pinehurst & Gorsehill

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:23:45 am »
I think it's fairly sure bet that Penhill wouldn't be put in with Abbey Meads   :azn:

Shame really because we are closer to Abbey Meads than Pinehurst!
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:16:25 am »
oh well the numbers have been decided 57 councillors making 19 wards

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:16 am »
What difference is that then Bogo? Comparative figures please.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:52 am »
oh well the numbers have been decided 57 councillors making 19 wards

Well that's about 9 who actually have any power, then and about 48 irrelevant expenses claims.

One ward, one councillor and that councillor must live in his or her ward, now how's that for small, direct government!
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline ph1lc

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 01:06:49 pm »
Spot on Tea- Boy, that'll get rid of Bluh - he lives in Eastcott doesn't he?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 02:50:50 pm »
No no can't go with the 'must live in the ward', I want the best councillor we can have, not the noddy that might just happen to live in the area.

I there were five good ones put up for selection, I  might well want the local one, but that just does not happen now.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »
I have heard talk of Labour having a Female only shortlists for next May except in Central where their leader is seeking re election.

Perhaps someone from the Labour Party would care to deny this rumour as being untrue because it needs to be if they stand any chance of geting more Councillors elected and having any impact on our future.

Surely for the greater good the best candidate of either sex is the one who should be selected by any party?

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »
No no can't go with the 'must live in the ward', I want the best councillor we can have, not the noddy that might just happen to live in the area.

Oh come on Muggins Mr H and Mr B aren't that bad..... are they?

How about 'Must live in' or 'have lived in' or even 'have a vested interest in'?

Only being provactive, because I don't believe the vast majority of councillors really make a blind bit of difference, the cabinet system stifles thier abilty to get stuff done, so why have them. Do the powerful ones get lonely, scared or bored?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:47 am »
With regard to NOW councillors, I suppose I should clarify that I am thinking longer term, what changes are made today effect more in the long term.  At all times the BEST candidates for the job should be selected wherever they come from and whatever - well you know what I mean. 

I'm dreaming of a day when there are twenty candidates for selection to stand for election in every ward, because the choices are made well before you get to choose your candidate on election day.  This is simply not happening at present, when there are fewer people engaging in anything let alone politics. The situation of civic service activity is in crisis.   (Why do you suppose that we have a couple of bumblers speaking on the radio for Swindon the other day and stonewall Bluh as leader?) so you can argue till the cows come home about how, where, why, when etc. etc. but if only one person, for whatever reason is interested in standing, you will NOT get the best and sometimes maybe even (most times) the totally wrong person for the job. If the party membership that votes for them are few, you will not get the best candidates.

If you see any community development - capacity building projects (whatever the latest jargon is) suggested/going , applaud and welcome them, encourage as many as possible to join in.   Democracy is comatose and surely must soon be dead.  It is even possible that all those projects to engage have come far too late already.

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 06:45:38 pm »
Still reckon you could vote Donkey and suffer no ill effects.

Or cows, when they come home. I like cows.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:24:24 am »
You'd prefer to see females in charge then Mart?

"And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo
everyday you see quite a few
so you see it's all up to you,
you could be better than you are
you could be swinging on a star"

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 09:51:38 am »
Oh come on Muggins Mr H and Mr B aren't that bad..... are they?

ahh but with the boundary changes perspectives will change and you’ll have to consider whether Muggin’s two current councillors will WANT to stand to represent a larger ward where Penhill will no doubt be a minority community. IMHO I think at least one of them would not have the heart to do so.

I'm dreaming of a day when there are twenty candidates for selection to stand for election in every ward, because the choices are made well before you get to choose your candidate on election day.  This is simply not happening at present, when there are fewer people engaging in anything let alone politics. The situation of civic service activity is in crisis.

And of course it doesn’t help that councillors continually get lambasted no matter how much they try to do. If you’re a councillor in a minority group, like Mr H and Mr B, then you are very much up against the majority party who use their majority strength throughout council.

I’ve pointed out on TS more than one that whilst many poster talk about “The Council” and “Councillors” making decisions, it is in fact a minority of councillors, supported by the group majority, that are making these decisions. I even know that some of the majority councillors, who haven’t the guts to oppose their leaderships decisions in the council chamber, deliberately leave the chamber so that they do not have to vote. IMHO ALL votes in the chamber should record who has voted and in which way.

It will always be the case because, as many TS’er will rightly say, once someone puts their head above the parapet they become fair game. So maybe the RIGHT people, who genuinely want to help their community, get fed up of being the target for everything that goes wrong within the council and decide to have a quieter life. It’s far far easier to shake your head and criticise from the sidelines than it is to get into the fray and try to do something about it.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.