Author Topic: How Long Can I Edit My Own Posts After Making Them?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
How Long Can I Edit My Own Posts After Making Them?
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:49:29 pm »
There was some confusion today on the Swindon Scrapstore thread regarding the ability to edit posts after submitting them. The current situation according to Geoff is

All the members here have exactly the same posting permissions, the only exceptions being several admins who, as you might expect, have the ability to move stuff around.

The 'courtesy edit time', (amount of time you may edit your posts for before a small 'edited by:' message appears at bottom of post), is currently set to 120 minutes.

The maximum time you can edit your posts for, after original posting them, is also 120 minutes.

The 'edited by' logging function is currently switched off

The first two values are infinitely adhustable, the third is simply on or off.

The value of these three functions is perhaps worthy of discussion amongst the active members, as I'm sure it will be between the admins.

I think the edited by logging feature should be switched on, and the courtesy edit time should be reduced to either zero, or a shorter time (5 minutes?) to help alleviate the confusion which could arise if someone edits a post after others have replied to it, making the replies seem nonsensical.

The facility to edit posts after submitting ought to be kept though, as I've used it myself a few times when I've spotted typos or sentences which don't make sense after hitting the "post" button.

But that's just my opinion - what do other members think?

Title changed by Dougal
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:13:32 pm by Dougal »
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
Re: Editing posts after posting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:12:13 pm »
Sounds sensible enough to me - especially if it avoids a repeat of the highly irritating 'scrapstore' thread! (ie, something interesting which descended into confusion)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline NickySewell

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:05:47 pm »
Sounds sensible enough to me - especially if it avoids a repeat of the highly irritating 'scrapstore' thread! (ie, something interesting which descended into confusion)

Please recognise that there would not have been any confusion had mjad admitted to having edited his post rather than denial. :)

:bash:
I don't agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 09:15:48 pm »
Please recognise that there would not have been any confusion had mjad admitted to having edited his post rather than denial. :)

:bash:

Recognised, although as I didn't see the original post in time I've got no way of being sure whether it was edited. This is why I think the edit logging thing should be turned on - it removes the possibility of surruptitious editing and subsequent denial.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:15 pm »
I'm an active memeber... \I get to vote... At last a benefit, a return for\my work apart from Tobes derision....

Yissss !!

I think the edited by logging feature should be switched on, and the courtesy edit time should be reduced to either zero, or a shorter time (5 minutes?) to help alleviate the confusion which could arise if someone edits a post after others have replied to it, making the replies seem nonsensical.

The facility to edit posts after submitting ought to be kept though,

I want what Simon said.
That's my \vote.

Lets do that then, don't worry about what the others say. make the change now the main votes are in.

** Added this comment to test logging functions ** Admin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:53:46 pm by Admin »

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 11:14:15 pm »
Okay....

Lets try:

Courtesy edit time = 60 minutes  should be long enough for most typos to be spotted and corrected. An edit within the first 60 minutes after posting will not result in a 'edited by:' message.

Maximum edit time after posting = 120 minutes  after 120 minutes the 'modify post' button will vanish and further edits will require the assistance from an admin team member, i.e:

Warlock, Dougal, Hammerman, Pig Hill Resident, Mr Rusty, Florence, Brunel & Ermintrude  (These are in no particular order)

Lets see how everyone gets on with these values, they can always be adjusted again.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:18:57 pm by Dougal »
www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.