Author Topic: Swindon not a working class town  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Muggins

Swindon not a working class town
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:09 pm »
Did anyone catch the TV yesterday, I'm afraid I wasn't in the room when it was on, but sure I heard Derique Montaut say something and Gary  Perkins answer in the tone that Derique shouldn't be so silly, "Swindon is no longer a working class town".

So to all the Honda and BMW and other factory workers, bus drivers, mechanics, lorry drivers, shop girls, delivery guys, gardeners, milkmen, road workers, chef's, waitresses, bricklayers, carpenters, lecky's, builders, plumbers, Swindon Service workers (in fact most of Swindon Borough council workers, those that keep the wheels of commerce and industry oiled.  I think Gary is saying you are lowering the tone and this town is not for you!

Take that attitude and now we can see where it's all going wrong!!

Where are all these people who don't work for a living then Gary?

Do the old white collars REALLY outnumber the blue collars?
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
Re: Swindon not a working class town
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »

It would seem so.  Check out p.62:
http://www.ssep.org.uk/economic_assessment_2009_complete.pdf

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:45:00 pm »
Even with white collars outnumbering blue collars, does that say anything about class? The likes of Nationwide, Zurich Insurance and assorted government agencies may mean that office workers outnumber factory workers, but that is all.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 06:47:33 pm »
I like the old song
"The working class can kiss my ass
I'm a tory councillor at last"
Bobby

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »

Interesting to see that there’s 8% in Personal Service Occupations, didn’t realize we had so many of them in Swindon  ;)

I like the old song
I'm a tory councillor at last"

or these days
I'm a ConDem councillor at last"  ;D

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »
What is 'middle class' anyway. The term seems to allow for almost anyone.

Its really a matter of how many are fooled into the pretension that they aren't 'working class' but are in thier own mind's eye are middle class. wasn't this really the basis of Thatcher's success?

If you go to work tomorrow and some can tell you you're redundant / out of job, your working class, that counts for managers as well, if you rely upon an income traded against your labour (bit of marxist theory there) then you need to work to live. You have to work and are dependant on some one else for that work =working class

The middle class are just a bit wealthier, but no real difference.

To think of yourself in any other terms is to delude yourself.

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom: Aristotle

Now, if that statistic read, Swindon has the highest proportion of office and factory workers who live under the mishaprehension of apparent socio-econoimic betterment, that would be more accurate

Bit of a mouthful though ;D
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:51:33 am »

But do they live in Swindon or just work here?

That could be the difference!

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »
But do they live in Swindon or just work here?

That could be the difference!

The section speaks about Swindon residents rather than Swindon workers.  So I would guess the former.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »
Page 47:  "The caution with the per head figure is the commuting in component. Better intelligence on who travels into Swindon to work, what roles they perform and their levels of qualifications as well as GVA per hour and per job data will allow better analysis of the productivity of a resident workforce as opposed to the workforce component that travels into Swindon. There are linkages in this effect with the difference between resident earnings and workplace earnings clearly showing that the travelling in workforce contribute  to higher average earnings."

Might mean that they have not better analyised the 'resident' via 'commuting in'. 

It could also be that it takes in the whole borough, as per the area's of deprivation map in the document.   Take out it's large out of town/rural  areas and the town itself wouldn't look nearly so wealthy and a much truer picture of the way they should see the town.  It can be seen that the wealth of Swindon is not in the town so much as the surrounding area. 
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »
Depends what you mean by working class. The composition of the working class, i.e. those who live by their labour and have no capital to speak of, has always changed ever since capitalism emerged. It strikes me that much of what is considered to be 'middle class' has been progressively impoverished. Millions of people struggle - with the albatross of a mortgage round their necks - to get by month to month. many bought into the easy credit which was available before the crash, but they have suffered the consequences.

As it happens I am doing some research in relation to the composition of the workforce, wages and taxes etc. The population of the country is not so well off as it is perceived to be. All will be revealed later.

By the way a lot of the managers in Swindon live out in the villages.

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »
When I said 'labour' I did not, of course, mean manual labour.

Offline Drone

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:12:46 pm »
Yet, by a lot of the major social indicators (teen pregnancy, unemployment, smoking, school attendance and attainment, drug use, long term health problems) Swindon is not middle class. We score very badly against these markers, indicating a town that may not be 'working class', but does continue to face significant amounts of social deprivation, inequality and social problems.
derp derp herp herp derp

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.