Author Topic: Dial A Ride, by new member d8189661  (Read 4348 times)

Offline thinktank

• Hello !
Re: Dial A Ride, by new member d8189661
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 07:50:06 pm »
An old lady I knew used this a lot she is now in a home because she could no longer get about and now I am told paying a vast fortune for her health care. Do they not keep people in their own homes so that they can pay for all the new care homes  that pop up in the town? Is caring for elderly or granny farming as I have read somewhere referred to, now a big business that has to be kept going?

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 07:58:06 pm »
An old lady I knew used this a lot she is now in a home because she could no longer get about and now I am told paying a vast fortune for her health care. Do they not keep people in their own homes so that they can pay for all the new care homes  that pop up in the town? Is caring for elderly or granny farming as I have read somewhere referred to, now a big business that has to be kept going?

standard practice i think for care homes, seize control of accounts for the elderly
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
Is the Oasis going to be a care home then? :santa_cheesy:

The first of the grand sell off............whats next?
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Ringer

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:25 am »
Council Offices will be the new Register Office and Museum? It would make a nice shopping mall for small shops and a small  cinema with coffee shops. Swindon the new Knightsbridge of Wiltshire all flowing out from the former council offices  :santa_cheesy:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Muggins

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:35 am »
All they will have left to do will be able to be done from a pratten hut around the back.  No swank then!
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
Or a telephone booth!
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 11:47:15 am »
Yes, I forgot it only needs room for one!

Offline bobwright

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »
I think there needs to be a balanced debate on ‘care in the home’. Not so long a go there was a big push to reduce journeys, to improve and use public transport, reduce pollution etc. The council even had officers encouraging bicycle use and car sharing. If we accept these views and actions have merits why are we now going to be reliant on increased home visits, increased movements and increased vehicle use? The improved use of new technology in the home helps with the policy however it will also mean additional fuel costs in the home.

The recent poor weather has led to some services stopping completely. Staff will have to consider the risk to themselves as well as those they are visiting. I am not saying the new policy is wrong however there will be a cost to the environment which does affect people’s health. Whilst some overheads of large buildings may have been removed there will also be the loss associated with economic scale. The new model is built around the individual so there will be fewer saving from shared resources. Dial-a-ride type journeys will inevitably increase as individual’s journey to resources. I believe a health care service reliant on vehicles has inherent risk.

Offline thinktank

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »
I think there needs to be a balanced debate on ‘care in the home’. Not so long a go there was a big push to reduce journeys, to improve and use public transport, reduce pollution etc. The council even had officers encouraging bicycle use and car sharing. If we accept these views and actions have merits why are we now going to be reliant on increased home visits, increased movements and increased vehicle use? The improved use of new technology in the home helps with the policy however it will also mean additional fuel costs in the home.

The recent poor weather has led to some services stopping completely. Staff will have to consider the risk to themselves as well as those they are visiting. I am not saying the new policy is wrong however there will be a cost to the environment which does affect people’s health. Whilst some overheads of large buildings may have been removed there will also be the loss associated with economic scale. The new model is built around the individual so there will be fewer saving from shared resources. Dial-a-ride type journeys will inevitably increase as individual’s journey to resources. I believe a health care service reliant on vehicles has inherent risk.

Good post the points you have made are somthing councillors should think about before making cuts.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 04:32:08 pm »
It's really difficult choices, if you are talking about care for the elderly in their own homes, some, if not most older people would want to remain as independent as possible and not be institutionalised until they have to be.   

It makes sense that to have carers, medicines, food provision, qualified staff in one place looking after a number of older people, but!!!

My sister is partaking at present and it's all very pleasant, but it's still a prison.  And there are miserable old gits in there with her.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 04:52:16 pm »
I believe a health care service reliant on vehicles has inherent risk.

Bit strange. I don't think too many people walk to hospitals these days.

I believe people should be allowed to remain in their own homes for as long as they wish to (regardless of whether the 'experts' think otherwise). It should be up to the individual where they want to stay. Nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a person's home sold off and the money basically transferred to the bank account of old people's home operators or the State.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 04:18:35 pm »
I believe a health care service reliant on vehicles has inherent risk.

Bit strange. I don't think too many people walk to hospitals these days.

I believe people should be allowed to remain in their own homes for as long as they wish to (regardless of whether the 'experts' think otherwise). It should be up to the individual where they want to stay. Nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a person's home sold off and the money basically transferred to the bank account of old people's home operators or the State.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.