Author Topic: Swindon 105.5 Wi-Fi Debate Continues Tomorrow, Questions for Councillors?  (Read 5218 times)

Offline swindoncentric

I've just learnt that a member of the local Labour Party will be in on Swindon 105.5 tomorrow at 9.30am to answer questions about the wi-fi, a member of the local Conservative Party will be on to do the same at 10.30am and hopefully a member of the local Lib Dems at 11.30am.

What questions should be asked of whom about what?

Go for it!

Offline Steve Wakefield

Cllr Rod Bluh told Council last week that cllr Vera Tomlinson had stated to him that wi-fi is not an issue or being raised on the doorsteps. What other issues are not being talked about in Swindon?

Ask all of them if this is the case about subjects such as these, which have been mentioned to me over and over again.

Ask all of them them their view about Cllr Montaut's failure to honour the deal with Cllr Perkins over wi-fi external audit

Ask all of them why Scrutiny has failed to supply replies to public questions about wi-fi submitted at meeting and also before 10am on Monday last.

Ask all of them all about deficit in adult social care and what figure actually is

Ask all of them about 4 million ponds worth of efficiency savings in adult social care and how that is being achieved

Ask conservatives why meals on wheels charges have increased, ask why residential charges have increased?

Ask about the Canal study costs, cuts* to pothole budget, cuts* to fly tipping team, cuts* cuts * to town centre cleaning* sorry should be savings. The dial a ride savings that were on, then off and why they cannot tender for transport contracts .

Ask All why these have not  been mentioned over the last 3 months or so in Swindon by the electorate .  It appears none are mentioned on the doorstep?

My experience is that they have all been mentioned to me several times by the electorate.
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

:bluhsm: "There are no American tanks on the streets of Bagdad politically embarrassing topics being raised on the doorsteps of Swindon"

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
Table for two please.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Ringer

and hopefully a member of the local Lib Dems at 11.30am.

What questions should be asked of whom about what?

Go for it!

LibDems do they wear wi-fi flip flops?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline swindoncentric

Swindon Centric has been tipped off that there'll be a discussion and debate about the wi-fi tomorrow morning on Swindon 105.5 at 10.30am.

It would appear that there are far more people around town concerned at the way the scheme is (or isn't going) than you'd be made to believe by councillors.

Listen either on 105.5FM, or online here http://www.swindon1055.com/

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

F*ck!!!.... I was supposed to get back to someone about that last week. Events got in the way....I can't remember even who it was now, but if they read this: Sorry, sorry, sorry...... :-\

I'll be fast asleep, (that's about 03.00hrs on my body-clock), could someone record it ?

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
did this go ahead...  and if so who went along to support Rodders?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
I went along. Did a stint for about 30 mins. I thought that it was a debate but unfortunately was only me and the presenters at this time between 10:30 and 11:30.

Andy Harrison then continued after 11:30. I thought his interview went well. I do not think that our opinions differ greatly, if at all.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
pity Radio Swindon 105.5 doesn't have a listen again feature... I was at work so missed it  :(

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I went along. Did a stint for about 30 mins. I thought that it was a debate but unfortunately was only me and the presenters at this time between 10:30 and 11:30.

Andy Harrison then continued after 11:30. I thought his interview went well. I do not think that our opinions differ greatly, if at all.

I wonder if the Rodigarch singled Harrison out for a 'cHarm session' at the civic dinner then?

Offline Steve Wakefield

I wonder if the Rodigarch singled Harrison out for a 'cHarm session' at the civic dinner then?

I think a chat from Cllr Rod Bluh  in Cllr Andy Harrison's  shell like happened earlier in the day, I saw them both in deep conversation in the function room.  ;) I did not overhear the subject, but cllrs Bluh & Harrison looked relaxed.
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats

I don't think he held on that long.

Offline Richard Symonds

105.5 have told me that the interviews were recorded so any chance of putting them up here please Geoff or someone else?

I tried to record it but mucked it up and then missed Andy Harrison's contribtion.  Interesting he was relaxed with Rod I wonder if he will be next years Deputy Mayor?  Please don't forget the people of Penhill expect you to deliver on your promises, Andy or you will be out in 2012.

There are still a number of people out there who do not know the full implications of this loan to Digital City but the word is slowly spreading and this issue will not go away whatever political inflences are exerted.  Just wait for the first cut in Social Services and the Tories will go into free fall and then I would not want to be a Tory in Walcot.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on

So how well are digital city doing now..... seems to have gone quite. have they started in the Town Centre, or is Abbey Meads next?

Please tell me they have made it out of dodge city or is highworth still not finished?

Perhaps Rikki's taking a holiday, now he has £350,000 burning a hole in his pocket.....
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !

I think a chat from Cllr Rod Bluh  in Cllr Andy Harrison's  shell like happened earlier in the day, I saw them both in deep conversation in the function room.  ;) I did not overhear the subject, but cllrs Bluh & Harrison looked relaxed.

Is Andy Harrison likely to be influenced by Rodigarch or any cHarm police?  :knuppel2:

Was he bovvered?  ))))

Please tell me they have made it out of dodge city or is highworth still not finished?

I think the quote is well meaning DIY enthusiast…. Not quite finished the job…

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
The latest that i have is that there are 13 paying customers and no business customers.

The original business plan target for year 1 was the payed service sold to 7% of the household of the borough (approx 5000) and 1000 business packages. On top of this the target for the free users was between 5000 and 7000.

I also believe that there is still black spots in Highworth, due to the wrong type of lamp posts and apparently HIGHworth also has hills, and this can cause problems. I am not aware of any work starting in Abbey Meads.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
The wrong lamposts? that's careless of SBC puting the wrong ones in for Rikki, surely a small detail like this shouldn't stop a man with £350k in his pocket.....

13 users, that 2 more than about 2 months ago, is Rikki actaully trying to sell this, or does he know SBC will support his buisness anyway so doesn't have to bother with actually trying.

Also , a bit of Parks department history....

before the invention of the mobile phone, the council used to use 2 way radios (some still do, parks rangers / home line etc). Of the parks personnel these were limited to foremen, managers and rangers.

back in the dark days of the 1980's, a foreman (no names mentioned, was made redundant many years ago), when he used to skive off on the odd afternoon, would always say he was going out to 'look at Highworth' as it was known to be a radio black spot and so 'couldn't be contacted', (mind you if they knocked on the door of his house, they might find him unexpected available). Still the work got done and Swindon's grass got cut......

Perhaps digital city have the same issues, except its taking Rikki a while to get his act together and its our very own councillors who aren't contactable on this issue. a wi fi information black spot perhaps.

How long does £350k last a washed up ex-director of castrol with close ties to Swindon's Conservative association, before Rikki comes back cap in hand for more cash?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !

13 users, that 2 more than about 2 months ago, is Rikki actaully trying to sell this, or does he know SBC will support his buisness anyway so doesn't have to bother with actually trying.

Funny you should say that Tea Boy. As I posted before, when I asked Cllr Perkins (Digital City Director) about the latest figures he replied that it was never about that.

As far as i can see the good people of Swindon have a choice in ways to pay for this.
1. We can sign up en masse, paying in directly to provide the required capital to allow Digital City to finish the project or
2. The council can sign up to use wifi services in which we pay via council taxes.

I suspect that the amount the council would have paid for using the WiFi would have been off-set by the quantity of households and businesses that signed up. Not much to off-set at the moment. :-\

As far as selling this to other councils, then i suppose that is possible when you look how easy our council jumped into this deal. If other councils decide to conduct a modicum of due diligence and research then I feel the game is up. :'(

Offline Richard Symonds

Is the District Auditor still in play or is he still gathering his evidence?

Offline swindoncentric

As someone has said on here before, that satirising the council may be the only other option besides investigative diggings, has anyone considered contacting Private Eye regarding the Wi-Fi and seeing if they are interested?

If someone could suitably summarise the goings-on and 'sell' them the story, I see no reason they wouldn't be interested.

Offline Richard Symonds

Or get Jimmy Perry from Dads Army to come to town and write about it for the stage.  If he weren't 86 I am sure he would be interested.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Is the District Auditor still in play or is he still gathering his evidence?

Richard, I believe this is still in progress.

Offline Richard Symonds

Chris, I needed cheering up this afternoon - good.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !

A tenner say's it won't go anywhere so do get too happy, you know it's not good for you

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !

A tenner say's it won't go anywhere so do get too happy, you know it's not good for you

I wish I was optimistic enough to take the bet. :(

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.