Author Topic: I predict a riot  (Read 632 times)

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
I predict a riot
« on: June 25, 2006, 09:04:43 pm »
Nick Cohen
Sunday June 25, 2006
The Observer

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/comment/0,,1805531,00.html

As for ID cards, I predict a riot

Close to where I live in London, a NO2ID group has sprung up to persuade Conservative, Lib Dem and Green councillors to order the local authority to refuse to co-operate with ID cards.

Similar campaigns are getting going in all kinds of towns - Glossop, Rhyl, Leek, Chippenham - places you don't normally associate with militant civil disobedience. It is a small thing, which may not be worth mentioning, but there is a chance the pattern of the poll tax protests is being repeated. When the poll tax came to parliament, there was a noisy debate. Then it disappeared beneath the media's radar. It seemed as if the issue was dead, but at the grassroots, thousands of people were preparing for an explosion of protest.

If ID cards are as expensive, intrusive and useless as I believe they will be, we may see the same again.

And on we go... on and on and on and on....

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.