Author Topic: "Not a single flaw" - BBC One Notices Hitesh Patels Resignation  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

From me, a very personal 'Happy Easter' present to the Rodigarchy, who seem to have given up common sense, honesty and fiscal responsibility before lent had even begun.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SBCjfbHUsfg&amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SBCjfbHUsfg&amp;hl</a>

Looking forward to seeing how the 'Not a single flaw' claim will stand up to the scrutiny committee next week, and the court of public opinion thereafter.

Piston Broke

Re: "Not a single flaw" - BBC One Notices Hitesh Patels Resignation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:29:06 am »
People were I live are saying this is scandalous innit. My friend told  the tory that knocked on the door the other day asking for a vote what are you going to do about it its outrageous waste of public money and officer time. ( they read TS too) The Tory looked like they had been pole axed and made embarrasing excuses before leaving.  :emb: The tories are  :emb: over this chronic leadership decision exciting, innovative project.

Roll on the elections thats all we can say around here. They mentioned Hitesh Patel Publicly on the BBC. I read on here that some one got a bollocking from councillors (bet they was tory) for mentioning his name in a meeting. If that was me I would kick off about it. It looks like the Tories make up the rules as they go along to suit themselves no doubt they have a good brief. I have met a few of them in my time! Some of em have been real clever dicks but some just dicks :2funny:

Good old aunty beeb I bet the Leader drove over to Oxford to get on the telly, to tell them they had got it all wrong and there was no flaw as HITESH PATEL APOLOGISED PUBLICLY it would have been good if the BBC had mentioned that Talkswindon had been vindicated. How longer can Tory councillors stand by their laughing stock :idiot2:

Offline daproofreader

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:57 am »
I was once the President of Swaziland but failed to notice it till my term of office came to an end !

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:28:44 am »
I did not attend cabinet, therefore it was a surprise to me  to read in the Swindon Advertiser that there was a public apology from Hitesh Patel. It looks like the TS people, Cllr Montaut and Anne Snelgrove MP have been vindicated as well as the decision to refer it back by scrutiny. The councillors on scrutiny who referred it back were overwhelmingly conservative councillors. I know Rod Bluh the Leader of Swindon Borough Council stated in meetings I have been at and I believe in a column of his in the SA that there was not one single flaw. The referral back to cabinet and the subsequent apology in public by Hitesh Patel Group Director Business Transformation and his resignation, are on the face of it at odds with such a statement.

I was also told by someone that Rod Bluh stated that there were inaccuracies between the facts and what was said by Anne Snelgrove MP in Parliament. I am a bit puzzled by this claim as I thought Anne Snelgrove MP clearly stated in the video and Hansard that she was working from facts supplied by the Chief Executive of Swindon Borough council Gavin Jones. If that is the case then was it Gavin that had them wrong or was it Anne or was it both of them? Unless Cllr Rod Bluh does explain I can only accept that Hansard must be correct.  I wish  to make it clear I was not there  I it is reporting by third parties. Perhaps those that were there could be kind enough and can clear this up for me as I am sure Cllr Rod Bluh would not have said such a thing unless he can back it up. I have known Rod for some time and that is  not the way that Rod normally conducts  business.

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:41:27 am »
At the cabinet meeting, once it got to the point where nobody would have an opportunity to respond to what he said, Mr Bluh was quite scathing of the factual accuracy of Ms Snelgrove's speech in parliament. Which is odd, because as far as I am aware most of what she said is derived from published documents, many of them from the council.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:31:53 am »

When the 'Leader' phoned me at home, it became quickly obvious that al though he was defending Hitesh Patels position of 'I didn't know I was a Digital City Director', he, (Bluh), seemed blissfully unaware that Patel had been self-publicising his directorship on his LinkedIn profile.

The excuse Patel later offered to the in-house 'robust' investigation is, imho, laughable. The report itsel so robust that it must remain secret and not be publicly scrutinised.

Bluh loves to wag his finger and chastise people for 'not having all the facts'.

I'd suggest that, as far as the WiFiasco is concerned, we have more than enough facts to contradict the bullshit being pumped out of the civic.

Patels Directorship is just one inconvenient truth among many.

Piston Broke

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »
Comments on SA some thinks you and Montaut have it all wrong, they must not have seen this on BBC.  :-\

Offline James

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:43 pm »
My thinking is now...
1) Wifi may or may not be a good idea, but if a business can make it stack up all to the good.
2) I am sure that the decision was made with the best intentions.
3) The process may have been correct in law.
4) In my opinion, it was poor judgement not to include more councilors (even if it was allowed under the rules), given the scale of media interest and the nature of the deal - which were both expected or known prior to the announcement.

That poor political judgement by senior councilors is now the main issue for me.
The focus on process is a PR distraction, designed to prevent discussion of that poor judgement, and the impact that has on the confidence of the rest of the controlling group in the way major decisions may be made in the future.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:11 pm »
My thinking is now...
1) Wifi may or may not be a good idea, but if a business can make it stack up all to the good.
2) I am sure that the decision was made with the best intentions.
3) The process may have been correct in law.
4) In my opinion, it was poor judgement not to include more councilors (even if it was allowed under the rules), given the scale of media interest and the nature of the deal - which were both expected or known prior to the announcement.

That poor political judgement by senior councilors is now the main issue for me.
The focus on process is a PR distraction, designed to prevent discussion of that poor judgement, and the impact that has on the confidence of the rest of the controlling group in the way major decisions may be made in the future.

This is not about judgement, it is about scrutinising the Executive (cabinet slang for Executive The government has a cabinet) holding the Executive to account for its decisions. The council should be encouraging people to get involved in scrutiny, it should be asking the public to suggest topics for scrutiny. For example there could be a scrutiny mailing list for people who wish to be involved or want information about scruting in SBC.

It is human nature to scrutinise we have always done that throughout history, its how we learn and improve examining what and how we do it drives progress! I am sure any teacher will tell you about the learning cycle etc. Scrutiny shares the same values as any long extablished public body in the country. Overview and scrutiny focusses on issues important to people in the borough. To make scrutiny work properly we have to be be involed and people have to have a voice.

That is why I am disapointed by the delay in answering questions, it is quite natural for the leader to say that the process has been followed. It is not for the leader or any member of the executive to scrutinise their own decision that is why it is handed to others not on the executive to do so.

All the factors you have highlighted 1-3 have or are part of the process being undertaken by Cllr Montaut and other backbench councillors. Item 4, is a view that has been expressed to me by a lot of people. How that will impact on the future of how decisions are made within the council, may bring forward changes to the constitution. I am awaiting the outcome of scrutiny on Thursday before commenting on that meeting.

I welcome the views from TS and SA and Cllr Tomlinson invited comments from this forum in respect of his Overview and scrutiny into recycling. So a precedent has been set. Members of the pubic who are coincidentially contributers to this forum are also taking an active role in scrutiny speaking out. I hope more will do this it will strengthen the scrutiny function.

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »

Bump

relevent to a blog post I'm writing.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.