Author Topic: Digital City Chief Admits WiFi Scheme is now many months behind schedule  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I think events are already starting to show my 'Bonkers in the Bunker' as being embarrassingly accurate, (embarrassing for the Rodigarchy).

The bunker keeps receiving one 'bad news' WiFi'asco memo after another which Talkswindon and the Lamplighters network continue to publish against the wifi back-story of official obsfucation, denial and deceit.

Todays Swindon Advertiser Pravdatiser reports the Chief executive of Digital City (UK) Ltd as saying:

"He hopes to have the whole of Swindon borough covered by the end of the year"

Funny, but I thought the entire Borough was supposed to be 'en-meshed' by next month?

Rikki Hunt also says:

“I think it’s unfair that people personalise this debate.

There is very clearly a debate to be had around policies and that’s fine, but picking on Rod Bluh is quite frankly disgraceful.

I'd ask members and the many guest viewers to take another look at my 'Bonkers in the Bunker' video and ask themselves whether I was mercilessly taking the piss out of current events and a leader of the council, a leader who is remorselessly shovelling public money into failing ventures run by his personal friends....

...or whether I was, as has been claimed by a very small number of very politically and financially biased people, attacking Roderick Bluh personally because he is Jewish?

The 'anti-jewish' claim is wrong. Very convenient for those involved in the WiFi'asco, but still wrong.  Whether Bluh is Jewish or not is irrelevant as the video highlights leadership behaviour and uses subtitles to illustrate, very accurately imho, what is happening right now, here in Swindon.

The video speaks for itself. Ther is no personal malice in it.  I, like every other reasonably well adjusted person here can separate the personal from the political, it is most of the tribal politards that can't.

Have another look at 'Bonkers' every time the WiFi and Leadership narrative is re-written and re-launched.  The leader of the council often claims he is "Prepared to be judged" on everything he does.....

...and so am I.   The difference between us is that I mean it.

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
Have you seen this man?

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

sbc voice

Last seen in the Euclid St. bunker!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Readers comments from todays Pravdatiser.  I remained banned  :angel:

snoopers, swindon says...
11:31am Wed 31 Mar 10
Well of course he is cheerful. He is laughing all the way to the Bank.

According to the Digital City business model, Swindon Council is a 35 per cent stakeholder in any profit made – and that applies to profit generated in company ventures in other arenas and with other authorities.

Taking this into consideration is it not in SBC's interest to make sure they use their unfair positioning in the market place to push out other providers of broadband and other IT service and support businesses?

I thought SBC were committed to helping and supporting the businesses in the borough and not pushing them out.

Dare I mention Swindon Commercial Services LIMITED?

I wonder if all those other councils around the UK have been made aware of how the electorate in Swindon feel about this waste of money?
Well of course he is cheerful. He is laughing all the way to the Bank. According to the Digital City business model, Swindon Council is a 35 per cent stakeholder in any profit made – and that applies to profit generated in company ventures in other arenas and with other authorities. Taking this into consideration is it not in SBC's interest to make sure they use their unfair positioning in the market place to push out other providers of broadband and other IT service and support businesses? I thought SBC were committed to helping and supporting the businesses in the borough and not pushing them out. Dare I mention Swindon Commercial Services LIMITED? I wonder if all those other councils around the UK have been made aware of how the electorate in Swindon feel about this waste of money?

reality_check, Swindon says...
12:38pm Wed 31 Mar 10
Does anyone know if Mr Hunt has a financial interest (or other interest) in the Adver? They seem to be bending over backwards to support him on this issue, despite the underwhelmingly feeble take-up figures. Also, being 'in talks' with councils is a vacuous and meaningless claim.
Does anyone know if Mr Hunt has a financial interest (or other interest) in the Adver? They seem to be bending over backwards to support him on this issue, despite the underwhelmingly feeble take-up figures. Also, being 'in talks' with councils is a vacuous and meaningless claim.

ItsPavAgain, Swindon says...
12:45pm Wed 31 Mar 10
As chief executive of Digital City UK, how much is Mr Hunt being paid?

ItsPavAgain, Swindon says...
12:49pm Wed 31 Mar 10
Sorry, me again! SBC have a one-third share in Digital City, however, are they providing 100% of the funding, in the shape of a loan, or are there other sources of funding?

12:49pm Wed 31 Mar 10
He is hardly going to shout from the roof tops " its all going wrong"

12:51pm Wed 31 Mar 10

Quote from: reality_check

Who thinks they've just bought 35% share in the paper?
[p][bold]reality_check[/bold] wrote: Does anyone know if Mr Hunt has a financial interest (or other interest) in the Adver? They seem to be bending over backwards to support him on this issue, despite the underwhelmingly feeble take-up figures. Also, being 'in talks' with councils is a vacuous and meaningless claim.[/p]
Who thinks they've just bought 35% share in the paper?

Captain Sensible, Nowhere says...
12:57pm Wed 31 Mar 10
Rikki Hunt is remarkably calm and cheerful' so he should be with £450k of our money in his back pocket for providing (we think) 11 people with 2 hours free internet connection a day.

kabbalistic, Swindon says...
1:43pm Wed 31 Mar 10
The Adver are confusing calmness and cheerfulness with smugness and arrogance. But, there again, that applies to reporter Barry Hudson too.

The truth is out there.

Grimwald, Swindon says...
2:10pm Wed 31 Mar 10
The attack drew an angry reaction from Mr Hunt. “I think it’s unfair that people personalise this debate,” he said.

“There is very clearly a debate to be had around policies and that’s fine, but picking on Rod Bluh is quite frankly disgraceful.”

He would say that wouldn't he?
The attack drew an angry reaction from Mr Hunt. “I think it’s unfair that people personalise this debate,” he said. “There is very clearly a debate to be had around policies and that’s fine, but picking on Rod Bluh is quite frankly disgraceful.” He would say that wouldn't he?

alfred, N. Swindon says...
4:25pm Wed 31 Mar 10
Why so much negativity? This is a loan after all, yes with risks, but there is a lot of promise in this scheme. I, for one, am pleased to see SBC take such an initiative, that will benefit a large proportion of the population, rather than just sit down and do nothing.

At the initial presentation in Highworth, time and time again, I was hearing the same sort of question from apparently retired people, with no internet access, asking if they could just buy a laptop and use the service, albeit limited, for free. For most people this will be, Yes.

My reading of the Adver is that its reporting has included all the pros and cons in the debate, so far.

I Too, Swindon says...
4:54pm Wed 31 Mar 10
Rikki Hunt states,
“There is very clearly a debate to be had around policies and that’s fine, but picking on Rod Bluh is quite frankly disgraceful."

So is the autocratic action, by Mr Bluh and Swindon Borough Clownschool, using our money for a personal business venture.
I'm guessing, slightly over £2 of this "loan" has been provided on my account. Do I get a cut of the profits?
Rikki Hunt states, “There is very clearly a debate to be had around policies and that’s fine, but picking on Rod Bluh is quite frankly disgraceful. " So is the autocratic action, by Mr Bluh and Swindon Borough Clownschool, using our money for a personal business venture. I'm guessing, slightly over £2 of this "loan" has been provided on my account. Do I get a cut of the profits?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Have you seen this man?

Is there anyone of Zhuhov's calibre in Swindon, Christ knows, we certainly need one.....

Piston Broke

It has been claimed that Marshall Zuchov, did not sweep minefields, he sent his troops through them stating that the casualty levels were less than those from machine gun fire. A hard man but a victor.

Offline Ringer

Geoff

Talking of many months behind schedule, they are with answers to questions as well that is unless you can answer this question? Did you finally get an answer to your outstanding questions at cabinet last night? Those from Scrutiny, and the ones including the Big Weekend ones from the last full council? It seem like an eon has passed since you first asked them.  :coffee:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Nope. Nothing. Nada. Zip, Zilch and a big fat zero.

Ask no questions and I'll be told no lies?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Umm, Bluh made a point at yesterdays cabinet meeting that they would get on top of answering the scrutiny questions and I know that the CE was very unimpressed that scrutiny questions were left unanswered. Funnily enough, I got my last set of questions answered today.

How about dropping Monty a note and copying in the CE to give it a bit more  :knuppel2:?

Offline Steve Wakefield

It looks like this project is now months behind schedule, but there has been no feedback to councillors as to why and what the delays are no emails have been received by me lately unless I have been missed off?

Geoff, I have commented on another thread about your questions. I also think that people should be asking their local councillors to take up why there has been a slippage in answering questions put by members of the public. Councillors after all are there to advocate for you!
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Mr Rikki Hunt is due to take part in an " MD2MD" event in September. Strange that there is no mention of his involvement in the Wi-Fi project but there is a list of his failed, dissolved, bankrupt and banker wanted his money back companies. Will anyone be poping along?

http://leaderfest.co.uk/_blog/LeaderFest_News/post/Rikki_Hunt_to_share_his_experience_at_MD2MD_LeaderFest_in_Swindon_on_16th_September/

Offline Richard Symonds

Mr Rikki Hunt is due to take part in an " MD2MD" event in September. Strange that there is no mention of his involvement in the Wi-Fi project but there is a list of his failed, dissolved, bankrupt and banker wanted his money back companies. Will anyone be poping along?

http://leaderfest.co.uk/_blog/LeaderFest_News/post/Rikki_Hunt_to_share_his_experience_at_MD2MD_LeaderFest_in_Swindon_on_16th_September/

Strange that, I wonder why?

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
"Rikki Hunt is the kind of businessman people either envy or admire. His CV is as varied as they come - from fuel to fashion - and he's succeeded in everything he's set out to do."

Who wrote this twaddle.... is mum?....himself?

Rikki Hunt is the kind of businessman people either envy or admire: If by  everyone you mean Rod Bluh

His CV is Varied: in other words he tried a series of half assed jobs of which he has made a complete f*** *p of, for example Swindon Town FC and the unmentioned Wi Fi

he's succeeded in everything he's set out to do: Certainly suceeded in emptying the public coffers of £450,000

I can just see the title of his key note speech.............

"Local goverment and the road to endless riches, a consultants dream"

also

you can see in one web page, the type of managemnt person now in charge at SBC....  MD2MD its all abit CPCP or CP2 or one Swindon or Destination Swindon or Forward Swindon..... isn't it.

Nuff said

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
And here's another prediction about Rikki: When his and Rods venture fails (as it most surely will - but without leaving either of them personally out of pocket), it will in doubt be reported as 'because of the nay-sayers and the short sighted people of Swindon'. Nothing will be mentioned in The Adver about the obvious early questions raised about the financial viability, questionable marketing or saturation of competition within Swindon. Nope, when it fails, the blame will be pinned onto Geof and TS for having asked the questions which revealed that the emperor and his chum were dancing naked.

Sad.

Predictable.

Inevitable.

I wish our local media would wake up to this contemptible and obvious gamble with public money and hold these people and their plans up up to proper scrutiny BEFORE its pi$$ed away on vanity schemes. The fact that its taken a bunch of ordinary local people to pick up the baton shows how poor local journalism has become - and that has a direct negative effect upon local democracy.

:bottom:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Steve Wakefield

Abridged quote from Tobes

And here's another prediction about Rikki: When his and Rods venture fails (as it most surely will - but without leaving either of them personally out of pocket).Nope, when it fails, the blame will be pinned onto Geof and TS for having asked the questions which revealed that the emperor and his chum were dancing naked.

:bottom:

Tobes the Link Magazine August Edition (Came out in July) report is very positive with concrete news from DS. I also have an email that talks of a news announcement in August so watch this space DS is pretty upbeat at the moment.  :spin:
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

Yes Councillor The Link article is one of the best Sales and Marketing interviews I have ever read. 

It is brilliant but what does it actually tell us?  They have 2,500 registered users but that doesn't mean they have 2,500 paying customers.  Just exactly how many paying customers do they have now?  No mention of that anywhere in the article. The figure previously quoted was a mere 12.  Now if I were Sales Director I would be firing someone with that conversion rate!  Perhaps Rikki Hunt could update us before we become disullusioned again?

For those of you who don't know I spent my career in Sales and Marketing in both producer goods and capital equipment.  Make so mistake about it Rikki Hunt is a very clever business man.

Perhaps you would care to share the contents of your email Councillor Steve or is it as confidential as the business plan? 

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
Steve - who or what is 'DS' ?

I've trawled the Link website and confess that I can't find the story you refer to...?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

I think DS = Digital City (but spelled phonetically).

I have some interesting intel regarding the DC email and other upcoming DC marketing activities. Need to cross check a few sources before spilling what I know. Hopefully Friday :)

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
So, a full page article yet they still haven't committed to any dates.

Do they have a plan or are they making it up as they go along?

Offline ph1lc

• Hello !
Pav of course they have a plan.
If it succeeds  -Rikki trousers a nice wedge, sure he'll look after his old chum Rodders.

If it fails it's tough s**t for the taxpayers of Swindon.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.