Author Topic: SCS - The directors  (Read 8311 times)

Offline pipsqueak

• Hello !
Re: SCS - The directors
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »
That would appear to be the thing to do unless there is complete transparency in the award process.  What is contentious is why would he waive his renumeration as it could be construed as an inducement to influence opinion!  :angel:

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 08:08:59 pm »
If that is so Pipsqueak Neil Holt's position as Chairman of SCS is totally compromised and he should resign immediately.

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaha!

Sorry.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Swindon business continued as usual, by which I mean success is sold and failure is invested in, infuriating and incomprehensible though that may be.

It is going to be interesting, unfortunately not in a comfy detached academic way, to see whether national Tory politics and the resulting behaviours are moderated by the Lib Dems, big old if, but I am cautiously optimistic. It is also going to be interesting to see if such a moderating influence transfers it's behaviours to a local level.

I realise I sound soppily optimistic, but I thought I would give it a go. For a short period.

At the moment Council behaviours seem to have more in common with the apparent excesses and behaviours of the now defunct Labour Government.

Funny old world innit?

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Monkey Boy

• Hello !
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »
That would appear to be the thing to do unless there is complete transparency in the award process.  What is contentious is why would he waive his renumeration as it could be construed as an inducement to influence opinion!  :angel:

I didn't think any of the Board members got remuneration???  I thought it was something they did for the "good of the wider community".  A bit like being a board member of New Swindon Company or being on the Strategic Partnership?

Offline pipsqueak

• Hello !
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:03 am »
I am afraid from the various posts on this forum, I am becoming a cynic and disillusioned with SBC. I also feel sorry for Halcrow who seem to have made a misjudgement in agreeing to Neil Holt becoming a member of the SCS board.  I am yet to be convinced of the altruistic nature and the "good of the wider community" that is often quoted as a reason to get involved in council activities. As Bogomil points out "there is no such thing as a free meal" and time will tell whose best interests are served by this arrangement - the citizens of Swindon, Halcrow, Neil Holt or others.

Offline pipsqueak

• Hello !
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 07:57:25 am »
Just heard that Neil Holt will be stepping down from the Halcrow group board shortly. I wonder what triggered that?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 09:53:39 am »
Being Director of a new sub division called SCS maybe?

Anyway none of this actually puts any of those involved in a good light.

But does any of this actually tell us what is really going on in this wholly inovative part of Swindon Borough Council?

And just like the family silver comment by Macmillan on Thatcher selling off the likes of British Gas etc., once its gone its gone and cannot be got back.  Well not without a fortune being spent!

Offline pipsqueak

• Hello !
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 08:14:40 am »
Just heard that Halcrow have been awarded the SBC framework - £1m+ fees. Well done Neil Holt (Halcrow director for business principles and ethics)/SCS chairman ......  :angel:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 02:53:50 pm »

What a surprise, eh?

Was there an open tendering process ?

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:46 pm »

This might be stating the obvious but as SCS are now a private company (albeit solely owned by SBC) does the competitive tendering rules still apply?

I don’t think they do but am willing to be enlightened.

As my old dad would have said “more than one way to skin a rabbit”

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 11:44:01 am »
Can someone explain the SBC framwork?

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »
Well i'm at a loss.....

perhaps its been invented by all the new office staff / managers they seem to be employing to justify thier new jobs????

my worry is the amount of overhead each worker has to carry, More bosses and less workers mean each worker has to earn more for the company.

i wonder what the ratio of productive to non-productive worker is now??? seems to be as many bods as thier are operational stafff now....
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2010, 10:41:34 am »
This might be stating the obvious but as SCS are now a private company (albeit solely owned by SBC) does the competitive tendering rules still apply?

I don’t think they do but am willing to be enlightened.
Simplifying grossly, tendering rules apply if the funding (ultimately) comes from government (local or national), regardless of whether the purchaser is privately owned or not. Though if the chain is long enough, it can sometimes be unclear as to what is state funded and what isn't.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.