Author Topic: Mechanics Institute Latest Plans  (Read 13437 times)

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Re: Mechanics Institute Latest Plans
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2010, 02:13:49 pm »
I believe the Tory whip and the Chair of Health Scrutiny may be one and the same.

Is this right folks or a conflict of interest?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2010, 03:59:25 pm »
Also remember Geoff that an abattoir also stinks of bullshit!
Bobby

Offline History Films

• Hello !
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »
The biggest insult to the history of the place is that it sits empty and rots, whilst being used as a political / ideological football by people who profess to care to the extent that they think inaction is the preferable course of action!

I don't think anyone wants this, and if you look at my post you will see I have already said so. As far accusations of inactivity go; although I am not actively involved in the Trust, its clear to anyone that they have been extremely active in pursuing the issue, drawing up proposals, concrete architectural schedules, business plans, publicising etc etc.

All your arguments boil down to is that they are to be criticised for wanting the best for the building and holding out for it, and I think that's admirable.  We would have to live with a botch up of hotel, night club or apartments for eternity, and that would be the real insult to the building's genesis and history

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »
All your arguments boil down to is that they are to be criticised for wanting the best for the building and holding out for it, and I think that's admirable.

I think its admirable that people care. My problem stems from there being a gulf between wanting whats best for the building and doing whats best for the building...  :'(
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2010, 08:42:50 pm »
And if holding out for the best actually results in the worst, it's not admirable, it's deplorable.

If a patient is critically injured, do you give them emergency field surgery to save their life, or do leave them bleeding to death and make plans to give them 'perfect' surgery a year later? The Trust's approach seems to be to make plans for a future that may never happen whilst leaving the patient to die.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2010, 09:08:45 pm »
Whilst occupying the moral high ground?

Or have I misunderstood.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2010, 12:37:39 am »
It is estimated that the cost of the works is just short of £250,000, but Mr Potter has warned this figure could skyrocket when and if the council is finally granted full access to the building.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/7861466.Council_may_move_into_Mechanics__to_do_safety_work/#
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:54 pm »
The schedule of works required is included in the next planning committee meeting papers. It's quite a long list.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:57 pm »
There is an article in Swindon Web about NMI here
http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=8&s=116&ss=1404&c=7197&t=Back+to+the+future+at+the+Mechanics%27

Including an interview with NMI Daniel Rose (for some reason expected him to be a lot older than he is)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:59 pm »
I went to planning last night to see how the Committee would react to the Mechanics' question.

Labour Councillors for Central Ward Bob Wright and Junab Ali (also in his capacity as a member of planning) were in attendence.

To date there has been a total lack of response from the owner with reference to the Urgent Works Notice, issued on December 4th 2009 and followed up by a further letter.  The Council will secure access to undertake the work required unless the owner can prove evidence of intention with a signed contract that the schedule of work will be completed.  The Works Notice had been submitted on the basis of known requirements although Councillor Bob Wright reported that Mr Singh has had his own survey.

It is known there are workers presently on site and work undertaken but not believed to be in line with the vision held.  Mr Singh has been in touch with Planning, Ward Councillors, Dave Potter - Chief Planning Officer,  and Council Leader Rod Bluh about the design aspects of his work. 

Councillor Bob Wright said the Ward Councillors and the local people should not be left out and consideration must be given to the vision for the local community.

The Planning Officer advised the onus for communication about the Works Notice was with Mr Singh.  Negotiation has been ongoing for six months and explicit letters sent.  There have been counter accusations from the owner, but action will be taken on the 20th of April if there is no contract in place and he stated the council was not prepared to wait any longer. 

Councillor Brian Mattock expressed his anxiety to ensure the integrity of the building is maintained. 

Councillor Doreen Dart said it had been 10 years since the last Councillor visit, the access of which was restricted due to safety issues.  She said the staircase was beautiful and asked if it was still there?  The answer was that it was and she insisted that it be protected.

Councillor Junab Ali asked how long the work covered by the Works Notice would last if no furtherwork was undertaken  The Officer promised him an answer.

Councillor Steve Allsopp asked if risk management would affect the work and cost?  This is a separate process and a comprehensive survey was carried out last November.

Councillor Vera Tomlinson said The Mechanics' was part of our heritage and too an important building to lose and work must be undertaken to prevent further deterioration.

The legal Officer said that Members were to vote but to note that action was being taken and recommendations will be made.

Councillor Doreen Dart requested that the whole planning committee visit the building and report back upon completion of the work.

If anyone else has anything to add to this or to correct me on any detail I look forward to reading it.

The next planning meeting is to be held on April 27th and this subject wll be reviewed
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:56:52 pm by Richard Symonds »

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2010, 04:08:21 pm »
Did Doreen Dart not ask for lunch etc. to be provided. It usually is on Site Visits.
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2010, 04:23:30 pm »
Did Doreen Dart not ask for lunch etc. to be provided. It usually is on Site Visits.

I didn't hear her doing so Bobby.  Were you on planning with her ten years ago?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:09 pm »
Never been on Planning in my life. If I had I would not 3 kids and a Council House.
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »
Never been on Planning in my life. If I had I would not 3 kids and a Council House.

But you must know our Do, as my sister calls her, well then Bobby?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2010, 05:50:32 pm »
I've heard her called some things, especially by developers, but never Do
Have you spelt it correctly? Should it not be Dough. No not what you are thinking - the wet and soggy type  that rises on all occasions when kneeded
Bobby

Offline PAV

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »
So Mr Singh gets quarter of a million pounds worth of work done on the Mechanics and it costs him 50 grand.

Good work fella!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2010, 06:43:33 pm »
No sorry PAV I left out the fact that the costs of any works will be levied as a charge on the land, so Mr Singh does not get away with it as you suggest.

Surely this is a better deal than loaning £450,000 to a company only five months old.  This will at least be a guaranteed investment in the community, Wi-fi is nothing more than a speculative venture with council Tax Payers Money.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:49 pm »

But you must know our Do, as my sister calls her, well then Bobby?

Give the 'outing attempts' a rest Richard.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:32 pm »
There's an interesting back-story to the Mechanics which I'm debating whether to tell or not.  It involves, perhaps unsurprisingly, a local businessman whose name seems to be very prominent, an 'undisclosed third party' and an offer to act as 'paid go between' to sell the mechanics quietly to the aforementioned 'undisclosed third party'.

I wasn't terribly surprised when, not long after the 'paid go-between' was politely told to piss off,  the current flurry of 'official interest' in the Mechanics started.  I'm sure it's all completely coincidental.

What you're reading in the Pravdatiser is not the whole story I think. 

If the WiFiasco dies down for a while it might make for another interesting 'Talkswindon Investigates'  :coffee:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2010, 12:08:18 am »

If the WiFiasco dies down for a while it might make for another interesting 'Talkswindon Investigates'  :coffee:

It is time.....

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.