Author Topic: WiFi Works Switch On Before 14.00 Today  (Read 9265 times)

Offline bobwright

Re: WiFi Works Switch On Before 14.00 Today
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 01:52:51 am »
Bogomil - Why have you have not introduced a new thread on ‘Social Enterprises’? You write like you were an old Red being accommodated as a confused Yellow. Perhaps that confusion explains why you have introduced the matter on a Wi-fi thread?

[admin]Several posts have been split from this thread to form 'Outsourcing Adult Services to a “Social Enterprise” organisation which can be found in the Conservative & Liberal Democrat Budget Cuts In Swindon section of Talkswindon. Dougal[/admin]

In principle Labour is not opposed to ‘Social Enterprises’ however the concerns expressed over the Risks have not been resolved yet (happy to go further on a new thread).

No doubt Andy and Dave expressing their opposition to the 'Social Enterprise' option looked like the Liberals were making a stand however as Stan did not oppose the ‘Social Enterprise’ option it must leave some wondering what the Liberal position is?

To be fair Andy twice referred to Wi-fi during ‘Full Council’ but that is a tenuous connection to this thread.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:33:28 pm by Dougal »

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 12:09:52 pm »
Some wonderful comments in the 'online' section of the Adver to-day. It seems to me that many people is Swindon (not just the usual suspects) had concerns about the Wi-Fi project. I see very little 'Political' angle to the comments, rather they take what i would call a common sense approach, asking questions which quite honestly should have been asked by Councillors before the deal was signed off. Some of the observations with regard to other providers of Broadband services also show that 'the people' are quite clear headed when approached with an issue such as this. 

I'm equally sure the Adver reader (that's swindon residents to Coun Perkins) comments are not what the administration wants to hear and definitely they don't want to see in print.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:13 pm »
No matter how often you read the cllr Perkins comments it is clear that he should stop digging! This could become a political graveyard if they don't do something literally overnight.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 02:12:25 pm »
Coun Perkins - here is what you should do.

1. Admit the Wi Fi project has stalled
2. Lay the blame fairly and squarely at the door of Digital City - After all it was their idea
3. Apologise to your critics, who have been proved correct
4. Learn the lessons and move on

That's the big thing to do.

Don't think that by looking for a buyer for SBC's shareholding, or trying to find another partner to replace DC will make a bad deal look good - it won't and the people of Swindon will see right through you.

It's time to be honest Councillor - you never know it might just be the best thing to do.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 02:19:43 pm »
Fully agree Des.

At least it would give the impression of people who are competent to deal with difficult decisions....

Moley

Offline Ringer

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:38 pm »
Des 
I know it is Christmas and the season of goodwill and all that, but that is the one of the kindest thing I have heard said to a politician.  :santa_cry:

You do have one point to reconsider Rod Bluh said that the council did not have to provide the loan and is Bob Wright still waiting for an aswer? 
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/yoursay/swindonletters/4860852.Letter_from_Coun_Bob_Wright/

The adjournment debate spoke of a gamble do you think it was a gamble? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/5077013.MP_calls_for_urgent_probe_into_wifi_scheme/

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »
Some wonderful comments in the 'online' section of the Adver to-day. It seems to me that many people is Swindon (not just the usual suspects) had concerns about the Wi-Fi project. I see very little 'Political' angle to the comments, rather they take what i would call a common sense approach, asking questions which quite honestly should have been asked by Councillors before the deal was signed off. Some of the observations with regard to other providers of Broadband services also show that 'the people' are quite clear headed when approached with an issue such as this. 

I'm equally sure the Adver reader (that's swindon residents to Coun Perkins) comments are not what the administration wants to hear and definitely they don't want to see in print.

I don't know how many online comments have already been censored or deleted but below are those still available at 14.50hrs today:
Your Say YourSwindon

onefortheroad, Swindon says...
10:14pm Thu 16 Dec 10
"The Adver was unable to contact Rikki Hunt for a comment. "

...perhaps his email is down?

I Too, Swindon says...
10:53pm Thu 16 Dec 10
Despite that, deputy leader of the council, Coun Garry Perkins is optimistic about the future and says the priority now is to get businesses paying for the enhanced connection packages.

“It didn’t go to plan due to lots of reasons, .......... no-one wants to be associated with a political hot potato.”
"
If it looks like a spud, grows underground, like a spud, and it's "planned" by SBC, it probably is a spud

Phantom Poster, Swindon says...
12:18am Fri 17 Dec 10

I Too wrote:
    Despite that, deputy leader of the council, Coun Garry Perkins is optimistic about the future and says the priority now is to get businesses paying for the enhanced connection packages.

“It didn’t go to plan due to lots of reasons, .......... no-one wants to be associated with a political hot potato.”
    "
    If it looks like a spud, grows underground, like a spud, and it's "planned" by SBC, it probably is a spud

When it was originally announced - late last year, as I seem to recall - they said that they would have the entire project finished by last April.

Anyone with an ounce of technical or business knowledge would know that the time-scales were totally unachievable. And yet the council just believed their lies and handed then half a million pounds of our hard-earned council taxes.

How the hell the auditors subsequently gave it the OK, I will never understand.

who dat?, Swindon says...
8:50am Fri 17 Dec 10
Gary Perkins said" We have learnt an awful lot about the whole project over the last year "
Ho Ho Ho ,Gary - so have we mate, so have we!!
Don't touch it with a barge pole!!

polska77, swindon says...
8:58am Fri 17 Dec 10
waste of money, I live in swindon town centre and am not at all interested in wireless internet. why should I have to live in fear of the damaging health affects this can have a person! there is much concern about the dangers of wi fi at the moment, it has already proven to be killing trees.money could be better spent elsewhere instead of endangering lives.

itsamess, swindon says...
9:18am Fri 17 Dec 10
As i see it this Council is incapable of being honest about anything. They appear to do as they please and farm out most of the services. Why i wonder do we not have the quality staff? I would love to know just how many of the managers and higher ups are actually from Swindon. Very few i would guess. That tells us something about our education here and the mindset of the general Council.

The wifi debacle is a classic case of breaching the rules and cover ups.
We have to pay for all these pie in the sky ventures. We have seen the affects of more powers given to Councils to control the police and hospitals and a host of services--which has degraded our police to revenue collectors. Daily we read of new crackdowns--yes-on anything that can produce revenue. Does it reduce crime--no. do we get better healthcare and services-no. Are our roads in good condition--no. So what happens to all this revenue gained from over 700 new laws which allow councils/police to collect revenue?

mug?, Swindon says...
10:23am Fri 17 Dec 10
Why would any well run business even consider using a product that doesn't work when there are already alternatives? Anyone using BT for broadband access can also use their wireless network at no additional cost and there are also the other mobile 3G networks available. If the project was rolled out in time and worked, then they may have been in with a chance.

Was any market research actually done into this project?

Yes, on the back of a restaurant napkin according to Reidy:

ItsPavAgain, Swindon says...
10:28am Fri 17 Dec 10
BT are advertising on TV free wireless broadband with their home broadband package. If you look on their site they have excellent wi-fi coverage in Swindon and of course over the whole of the UK.
Why would any business pay for a wireless service that only works in Swindon?
BT are advertising on TV free wireless broadband with their home broadband package. If you look on their site they have excellent wi-fi coverage in Swindon and of course over the whole of the UK.

SockPuppet, Swindon says...
10:32am Fri 17 Dec 10
With phone company 3 removing their monthly data cap as well as LTE and 4G data services being put in place by major telecoms companies I can see no positive future for this scheme at all.

I think SBC needs to look at how the money was spent and how it can get it back!
With phone company 3 removing their monthly data cap as well as LTE and 4G data services being put in place by major telecoms companies I can see no positive future for this scheme at all.

mr_fix_it, swindon says...
11:24am Fri 17 Dec 10
It sounds a lot like a solution looking for a problem.

Don't worry, Rik'll Fix It :)

active citizen, Swindon. says...
12:41pm Fri 17 Dec 10
A predictable disaster. Look at the record of Rikki Hunt.
The Council seem obsessed with self=styled "businessmen" whatever their record, and tries to involve them in Council business,what happened to the Body that Rikki Hunt chaired?
If the Council cash is lost ratepayers should press for the responsible councillors to be surcharged.
Representations can be made to the Council's Auditor.

Captain Sensible, Nowhere says...
3:27pm Fri 17 Dec 10
I would imagine that the reason Mr Hunt was 'uncontactable' was because he is in the Bahamas sunning himself curtesy of Swindon Taxpayers and the incompetance of our useless council.

Just another number, Swindon says...
11:58pm Fri 17 Dec 10
Those who choose to spend public funds irresponsibily should be held accountable for their failures. If not prosecuted, then at least barred from making future decisions about spending the taxpayers money. Then perhaps we'd see some results instead of failures.

One has to wonder what ever happened to the 2010 Promises? We are fast running out of 2010 and all seems to have gone very quiet. I for one would like to see if the costs and benefits balance out -- isn't that wishful thinking?

12:27am Sat 18 Dec 10
Just to confirm that they did say that all of Swindon would be expected to be covered by last April:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4747375.Centre___s_next_for_free_wi_fi/

... and note that it was predicted to make money by last February!

12:29am Sat 18 Dec 10
And Rikki Hunt said:

“I think there will be sceptics but we will prove we can do this."

Totally unbelievable!

I Too, Swindon says...
10:04am Sat 18 Dec 10
Anyone got the contact details, to Private Eye magazine. They love stories about Swindon

Yes they do! - have a look at this thread to see how Private Eye covered the Rod Bluh's WiFiasco :)

I Googled 'Wifiasco' earlier today, and was a little surprised.  It looks like Talkswindon currently owns the term.  :santa_cool:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 04:52:17 pm »
The adjournment debate spoke of a gamble do you think it was a gamble?

Yes it was gamble.  However let me make a point which should not be interpreted as 'I'm happy with what has happened' -  In todays tough economic conditions it is incumbent on local authorities to raise funds from a wide variety of sources. It currently does this by charging people for planning applications, car parking, fines (boo I hear you cry) admission charges etc - you get my drift i'm sure.  They also receive interest on cash deposits, remember the Iceland banking fiasco (which i am assured did not affect SBC) and they receive dividends from organisations such as Thamesdown Transport and SCS. I feel sure some of the more knowledgable will tell us what they represent in cash terms and indeed whether I am correct.

What we must never do is stifle the desire and need to take risks.  It is not normal for the  public sector to do so as their working sphere is predominantly risk averse; the presence of Gavin Jones should be like a breath of fresh air in this respect. However, risk is quanitifiable and 'gambling' is only a matter of 'considering the odds' and ensuring you only gamble to a level you can afford. In this case the 'gamble' was ill considered and made against a background which I would have thought 9 out of 10 business men would have considered less than appealing.

Getting into bed with Digital City, in many ways was no different other than:-

1. There was no open and transparent debate, predicated on the illusion that to delay in making the decision would result in someone else getting on board.  If i could have a tenner for every time I have seen that trick used by a salesman I would be rich. The Council simply isn't like a normal business and normal business rules do not apply - that is why we have elected representatives, to hold the administration to account.

2. There was no robust examination of the Business Plan - and before SBC and Councillors tell me there was - there could not have been because no sensible business man would have loaned £450k on the promise of a 35% share of £700k given the figures quoted. Let's just look at Highworth and ask this question.  Would you have loaned £150k where the sales targets were set so laughingly low that 100 residential users and 25 business users were deemed 'too high' and set aside.

3. There was no viable marketing strategy presented and if there was - where is it and what happened to the marekting effort in Highworth?

4. The partnership was weak. A newly established technology company, a man who knew precious little about Wi-Fi or Broadband and had no track record of success in a comparable venture to present as  credentials worthy of a 10 minute disucssion never mind the grant of a £400k loan. And of course a Council which was in thrall to a 'dream' - not their dream but the dream of another, so  much so that they closed their ears to any constructive criticism and vilified anyone who was not 100% supportive of their idea.

5. In short the decision to proceed with this project was not a Commercial one it was a political one. The proof of that is to be found in the manner it was agreed to, the number of important people excluded from the process and the indecent haste with which it was determined. Not to mention the still niggling doubt over the issue of who was a Director and the definitions thereof.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »
Des

A gamble I thought it was a stone bonker a dead cert well that is what the Swindon Advertiser said it was the world first they even had a top tory down to launch it. Are you saying after all the hype  it was nothing more than all makeup and no knickers as my great aunt would say?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:41 pm »
A gamble I thought it was a stone bonker a dead cert well that is what the Swindon Advertiser said it was the world first they even had a top tory down to launch it.

Only two things certain in life - death and taxes. I don't think the Adver ever claimed it was a stone dead certainty to be a success.  I can certainly read commentary in which they welcomed it as a potential benefit for the town and business. I agree they offered the concept a great deal of support.

The Council via taxpayer cash also offered the project a great deal of support - £400k of support to be exact. However the taxpayer has so far got a pretty lousy deal from that investment loan. A nearly finished Highworth with very little paid service take up and nothing in Swindon town centre or any other area of the Borough.

Mr Rikki Hunt led the vocal charge when he proclaimed -"While others talk, Swindon is delivering a Digital City" - I think we can safely say that Mr Hunt is rich on verbosity, low on achievement.

I reiterate my view that this venture was a gamble - most ventures of this type are - which is why risk and reward go hand in hand. As I said in my previous post the major issue for me is the seeming lack of commercial nouse surrounding the deal (from the Council's perspective) It seems they have ignored the obvious questions in their quest to be able to claim another first - an obsession with some politicians I'm afraid.

What one shouldn't do is castigate Rikki Hunt - he is a business man and it's in his blood to promote ideas and then sell himself as the messianic force to make the idea happen. He has chutzpah in spades, just think 'Hunt for it' was going to rival eBay - in his dreams. Where is it now?   

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »
Only two things certain in life - death and taxes.

At least death only happens once.  :santa_cheesy:

Offline bobwright

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 01:09:08 am »
Does death only happen once?

As they say reincarnation is making a comeback. I think some appear to be karma than they actually are and some protest too much.

I just wonder is it necessary to die from a thousand cuts or is someone enjoying the attention?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 06:49:04 am »
I welcome universal access for user to the internet, and I don't think anyone has not? I began to feel uneasy with this whole project when councillors were being excluded from seeing the business plan because of commercial sensitivity. Almost 14 months on I am not sure exactly which councillors have actually had sight of the business plan/case.

At the time I think there were reservations not only from cllrs but the business community and were being articulated the comments from the FSB summed it up when:
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4758234.Wi_fi_will_usher_in_a_revolution/

Emma Faramarzi, pictured, chairwoman of the Swindon Federation of Small Businesses, said: “This is going to be very positive for Swindon. It’s great to have all this attention on the town and I’m sure it will raise our profile.

“It will help small businesses because the cost of setting up can really mount up and anything we can get for free is great.

“But I am concerned about the effect this could have on small IT companies in the town, especially if the council are going to start offering IT support.”

Mrs Faramarzi said she would be reserving her final judgement until the scheme had been fully implemented.

She said: “I’m sure there will be problems along the way given the size of the project and it will be interesting to see if they can deliver everything they promise.”

"Interesting" yes  FSB you were correct, there is still much interest 12 months on. I was at the meeting referred to here http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4793865.War_of_words_over_wi_fi_plan/ and remember Cllr Rod Bluh when he said:
We don’t do anything without considering the implications.

I think that sums it up? Can I interpret this as  the implications of  both success and failure would have been considered, as well as all the subsequent public interest in the project? Oh and I must nor forget the comment from the other Des
Des Moffat (Lab, western) claiming that by not informing the authority’s 59 councillors they had broken the council’s constitution.

It looks like only Cllr Greenhalgh has made the most accurate statement that has come to pass
Members of the public also had a say asking whether an upgraded service with Digital City UK would cost as little as £7 which is currently on offer from a major internet provider.

Coun Peter Greenhalgh responded: “I am sure they will be offering comparable of better prices.”

Well maybe not? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4801575.Wi_fi_signal_gets_switched_online/
  “They will try it anyway because it is free. Highworth is a dreadful place for connectivity.

Ah well there is always next year strange isn't it there was a party to celebrate the 1st birthday of the opening of the central Library I have not heard anything about one to celebrate the 1st birthday of wifi still I think Chris Watts known as the wi-fi man by one LibDem Cllr began to voice his concern and look where he is a year on? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4804145.Anger_from_firms_over_wi_fi_decision/
Chris Watts, who owns Fourtiers, a Swindon based IT firm, has lambasted the council’s moves, questioning what due diligence was taken in the lead-up to taxpayers’ money being spent.

He said: “The council didn’t seek advice from any business experts or independent consultants to see if this was a wise decision.

“It appears the only people involved in this are a few councillors, and the businessmen who could make a huge gains from this.

“They’re hiding behind a wall of commercial confidentiality, however it’s standard practice to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to find out if the investment it sound – especially if like the council they have no experience.”

The 42-year-old said he would expect experts to question whether investing the money in a company that hopes to compete with giants like Sky, Virgin and BT was wise.

He added that experts would have ensured a number of details would be looked into – including how many people in town are signed up to Sky, something Coun Bluh has failed to disclose whether he knows or not.

He added: “Why is the council investing Swindon taxpayers’ money into an out-of-town firm – which has yet to file its first year accounts?

Well Chris have you had an answer yet? If you had not attended scrutiny that night would you have decided to get involved in politics?
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 01:36:13 am »

Quote from: Chris Watts
“The council didn’t seek advice from any business experts or independent consultants to see if this was a wise decision"

Actually, the Council did seek advice from a credit reference agency who advised them, (Swindon Borough Council), to set a credit limit of £500 on their dealings with Digital City (UK) Ltd.

Cllr Roderick Bluh and Cllr Mark Edwards then secretly arranged, (without the knowledge of many of Swindons 59 Councillors), to lend Digital City (UK) Ltd 900 times, (yes, NINE HUNDRED TIMES), more than the £500 credit limit suggested by the Councils external credit experts.

Rod Bluh is a chartered accountant is he not?  :popcorn:

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:35 am »
Ah well there is always next year strange isn't it there was a party to celebrate the 1st birthday of the opening of the central Library I have not heard anything about one to celebrate the 1st birthday of wifi still I think Chris Watts known as the wi-fi man by one LibDem Cllr began to voice his concern and look where he is a year on? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4804145.Anger_from_firms_over_wi_fi_decision/
Chris Watts, who owns Fourtiers, a Swindon based IT firm, has lambasted the council’s moves, questioning what due diligence was taken in the lead-up to taxpayers’ money being spent.

He said: “The council didn’t seek advice from any business experts or independent consultants to see if this was a wise decision.

“It appears the only people involved in this are a few councillors, and the businessmen who could make a huge gains from this.

“They’re hiding behind a wall of commercial confidentiality, however it’s standard practice to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to find out if the investment it sound – especially if like the council they have no experience.”

The 42-year-old said he would expect experts to question whether investing the money in a company that hopes to compete with giants like Sky, Virgin and BT was wise.

He added that experts would have ensured a number of details would be looked into – including how many people in town are signed up to Sky, something Coun Bluh has failed to disclose whether he knows or not.

He added: “Why is the council investing Swindon taxpayers’ money into an out-of-town firm – which has yet to file its first year accounts?

Well Chris have you had an answer yet? If you had not attended scrutiny that night would you have decided to get involved in politics?

Uhm, it's a good example of the butterfly effect. This was my first contact with the council on the 14th Dec 2009 to submit the questions. In truth, I thought I was being helpful but had my integrity attacked within five minutes of entering the scrutiny committee room. Bluh had the temerity to suggest that I did not author the questions.

B.E No 1: The Bluh Backlash
Initially I was a little shocked, quickly followed by the realisation that something was not right and a raw nerve had been touched. This intrigued me to dig deeper.

B.E No 2: Insipid LibDems
I was in touch with my local LibDems councillors at the beginning of the process but it became apparent very quickly that this was beyond them. If I want the dog poo bin emptied in my street then they are good for that, but wifi was a bit too heady and controversial for their form of localism.

B.E No 3: Being in an athletic club 25 years ago
I knew Des Moffatt from my childhood as I was a member of the Swindon Athletic Club along with his boys. Although I had not spoken to him for 25 years he proved to be of great assistance along with Bob Wright. Unlike the local LibDems, they were not afraid to ask the difficult question and nail their colours to the mast.

B.E No 4: Inspired by Peter Greenhalgh
PG once said something along the lines of, if you do not like the way the council is run, become a councillor. I had been considering this but with that inspiration I threw my hat into the ring. Thanks Peter.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 05:44:47 pm »
As the Digital City Wi-Fi project judders to an unseemly halt, it is interesting to read of the success of mobile network ‘Three’ who have just completed a £600,000 mobile broadband extension and improvement programme in the Swindon area; where according to ‘Three’ there is soaring growth in the use of mobile broadband. In Swindon alone smart phone data use has rocketed by 46 per cent from May to September of this year. While ‘Three’ has completed this work to improve coverage and increase capacity the Digital City Wi-Fi programme has stalled with no new date being announced for work to commence in rolling out the scheme in Swindon town centre. According to Coun Garry Perkins this is due to the ‘current economic climate’ – which is at variance with the findings of ‘Three’ who declare Mobile Broadband is really taking off.  Perhaps the reality is that Digital City’s bid to launch a Borough Wide Wi-Fi facility in 6 months, it at all, was simply an ambition too far especially when you consider it took ‘Three’ 18 months and 20,000 man hours to complete their project

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »
Don't the vast majority of smartphone owners already have Internet access via their network operator?

It would be odd to take out a contract with a smartphone and not receive, or add, a mobile data allowance.

And I can't really believe that anyone would buy a smartphone outright and not have the money to add some data credit.

I can just about understand the benefit of 'free' wi-fi (we're all paying for it, of course) for laptop users, but the vast majority (if not almost all) smartphone users don't really gain anything.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 06:16:54 pm »
Don't the vast majority of smartphone owners already have Internet access via their network operator?

I can just about understand the benefit of 'free' wi-fi (we're all paying for it, of course) for laptop users, but the vast majority (if not almost all) smartphone users don't really gain anything.

Spot on.  I have unlimited data transfer on my o2/Blackberry contract. I can access the net almost everywhere in the country and can also use the Blackberry as a modem for my laptop when out and about (if I need to).

Getsignal was already roadkill when Rod Bluh decided to invest £400,000 of our money in the information superhighway......

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »

Spot on.  I have unlimited data transfer on my o2/Blackberry contract. I can access the net almost everywhere in the country and can also use the Blackberry as a modem for my laptop when out and about (if I need to).

Getsignal was already roadkill when Rod Bluh decided to invest £400,000 of our money in the information superhighway......
Also, you have 4G around the corner after successful trials this year, many times faster than 3G.
and http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25812&s_cid=con_FURL_freewifi
Virgin are on the case to compete with BT on this and supply nationwide coverage to its customers.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
Chris, Des, Geoff,

Could one of you young "Technocrats" start a thread called "IT for Old Numptys" or something and explain this "3", "3G", "4G", Smartphone, stuff to those of us that think that the big lumpy mobile in their pocket is state of the art stuff......please? Also, how can I effectively use the internet on a phone when I have fingers like (farmers market!) pork sausages?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.