Author Topic: Why Has The Oasis Suddenly Got "Good" Bands Appearing?  (Read 5066 times)

Offline PAV

Why Has The Oasis Suddenly Got "Good" Bands Appearing?
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:31:52 pm »
Pretty much as above. I remember when Simon Webb appearing at the Oasis was considered a scoop. Now we have/had Lily Allen, Dizzee Rascal, Alice Cooper, Motorhead all at the Oasis.

What has happened to suddenly attract these big names to Swindon?

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
Re: Why Has The Oasis Suddenly Got "Good" Bands Appearing?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:34:08 pm »
Don't make me laugh by trying to imply that this has anything to do with The-Big-Weekspend, these bands must have been planning their tours months ago.  ::)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:03:01 pm »
Pretty much as above. I remember when Simon Webb appearing at the Oasis was considered a scoop. Now we have/had Lily Allen, Dizzee Rascal, Alice Cooper, Motorhead all at the Oasis.

PAV it'll be the recession.
- the Oasis is cheap
- bands are trying to milk all they can from their tours

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:01:43 am »
Erm.

Good bands?

What about James Last, Brotherhood of Man and Joe Dolce?
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 08:02:49 am »
You forgot Mantovani Mart.
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:15:19 pm »
Who the hell is Mantovani Mart?

Wagner Ring Cycle in full, on xylophones, Sousa and one of them blokes that play's kitchen sinks and that.

Bobby Crush does Tubular Bells, they'll be queuing round the block.

Fair play to the Oasis, fill the place and fill it often, what it's for innit?
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:46:35 am »
I remember going to Oasis to see Max Boyce and sent husband to see Status Quo.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:25:25 am »

So, with the evidence of history and the application of some logic, we can conclude that NOTHING has 'suddenly' happened.  O0

Sinita will be back there before you can cough '£400k'...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
Did I not hear some gossip about somebody on the council wanting to knock down the Oasis?  Never could understand why it wasn't used more for things these music events.  Concerts, Antique Fairs, Garden shows etc.
Lifes not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow. - Cherralea Morgen

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:38:04 am »
Oasis is attracting bigger names as it has a reputation with promoters for selling out really easily, so a 'safe bet'.  I guess the main reason for this is location, Swindon lends itself to a large catchment area.

I have always said when the Oasis is redeveloped the concert element should be upgraded to make the concerts a better experience to help safe-guard our ability to attract the promoters / big bands.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 03:48:38 pm »
Yeh, but don't knock it down from where it is in the middle of town, with plenty of car parking about, and then rebuild it somewhere out in the sticks with no public transport and food outlets.

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:35:38 pm »
Did I not hear some gossip about somebody on the council wanting to knock down the Oasis?  Never could understand why it wasn't used more for things these music events.  Concerts, Antique Fairs, Garden shows etc.

The big reason I think is because acoustics are awful at the Oasis and so most things sound awful compared to if you hear them in a proper music/concert arena.
The first band I saw at the Oasis was Status Quo in about 91/92 and I thought they sounded fantastic, until I saw them in Birmingham a few years later and realised how tinny and awful the Oasis sounded.

I do think it's good we have these bigger names coming to Swindon but we seriously need a decent sized Concert Arena (6000+), Swindon is certainly big enough and in a perfect area to attract big names, seeing as though most go to Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford, Bournemouth, etc. We are pretty much in the centre of that.

Also... Why have the concerts stopped at Lydiard Park and The County Ground????? Anyone know? Lorna did you ever find out?

I certainly won't be going to see two of my favourite old bands (Alice Cooper & Motorhead) here because I know it will sound awful.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 12:33:15 pm »
Well, one thing I do know about acoustics is that you can change them -a bit of artful boarding and drapery can make a difference, without having to knock a building down and rebuild and there are people who can look at a building and tell what's needed - wonder how much they cost these days? 

But isn't it better to have it a bit tinny and be able to see and hear it rather than not?  Especially for those who may be able to afford a ticket but not the travel expenses?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 02:25:59 pm »
"and there are people who can look at a building and tell what's needed - wonder how much they cost these days? "

Yes they work for Capita or Halcrow so the council already have them on their payroll!!!

Bobby

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:19:37 pm »

But isn't it better to have it a bit tinny and be able to see and hear it rather than not?  Especially for those who may be able to afford a ticket but not the travel expenses?

It might be for some but I am quite into going to concerts and try and get to one at least once a month. And when you start going to these bigger arena's (Which Swindon should have and are more than capable of having) like the Birmingham NEC, Cardiff International Arena, O2 Arena, etc you really do notice the difference and the better sound quality.
Alice Cooper and Motorhead for example are both playing at venues not too far from Swindon and will sound a lot better than the Oasis, so I will be trying to get to these. Which is a massive shame because I would much rather see them in Swindon. But after going to 3 concerts at the Oasis I am always left feeling it could have been so much better.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 07:27:16 pm »
Take your point if you are a keen fan. And you are right about Swindon needing a proper place, 'course it does.  I was just talking about the interim. 

Anyway, I shouldn't really comment, it's all a lot of banging to me, give me a bit of bird song any day.

The kids like it though, so I'm prepared to stick up for them and you.

Goes off humming - Trailers for sale or rent, room to let 50 cents la ala la King of the Roooaad.  An another of my favourites - After the Gold Rush - can't even tell you who sang them.  All around my hat I will wear the green willo o ow.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 08:52:54 am »
All Around My Hat?  Maddy Prior sang this one.
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 09:54:19 am »
Steeleye Span?

See The New Seekers have an album out, that's sure to be a treat.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 06:35:13 pm »
The version I remember was Steeleye Spam. Shame I have nothing to play a new album on - haven't figured out how to down load yet.

I did once a very long time ago, try to find out who did 'After the Goldrush', but that only came out on an album.  I suppose looking at that selection of mine I must be a bit 'folksy'.  Don't mind the odd trad Jazz tune either. I also know the words to most of the old Musicals, in fact was singing 'Life is just a bowl of jello' to the grandkids this morning. Bless them, they do humour me. You can tell why it's not for me to talk about new concert halls. First pop song I remember dancing to was the Everly Brothers 'Dream', down at Nelly Sprittles Youth Club at Jennings Street.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:20 pm »
Steeleye Span?

See The New Seekers have an album out, that's sure to be a treat.

Oh Marvelous !  :)
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.