Author Topic: Swindon's Culture: Where is it, what is it and who's responsible for it?  (Read 10300 times)

Offline Jules

You're probably right Tobes that it might not be "fair" to pin the blame on Phil Young - although he is the one who personally signs the document, therefore must endorse its contents.

The maths bit has been doing my head in most of the morning. I got a B at maths o level and then scarpered quickly into the world of languages, history and literature, so I'm no numbers boffin. But I infer from the figures quoted that SBC hope to achieve a 3% increase in engagement, which, on current population figures for the town would actually equate to a total just shy of 2000 extra people getting involved in the arts. I think that the number crunchers inside SBC would prefer a target increase of at least double that to make all this song and dance viable, which would actually equate to a percentage increase of approximately 8% on current levels of engagement. It's worrying that people who handle millions of pounds of our hard earned cash can confuse a percentage increase with a percentage addition. How on earth do they manage our money?

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
In a piss poor fashion knowing they can always come back for more.

I am not convinced that they do not know their basic sums, I think sometimes they are little bit disingenuous and employ the elastic dictionary now and again, examples of the truth being stretched to the point where it vibrates furiously abound. Every statement of intent always leaves several avenues of deniability open.

A recent example dear to my heart would be the revelation that after being a comfortable / break even operation for many years the residents parking slipped into the £100k deficit position it now apparently occupies. The resulting increase in charges was heralded by several pronouncements from some glove puppet and they were without exception completely inaccurate bollocks. Nobody had started paying less, no extra provision was made by sbc, it was a simple and expedient accounting trick, another example might be the failure to pass on the VAT cut applicable to parking fees in council car parks, that saw another £150k trickle into the coffers. There is a lack of appreciation within sbc that the stunts, jiggery pokery and ambiguous pronouncements they employ are not particularly clever and hardly ever withstand any degree of scrutiny, but they are 'within the rules' and in any case they can, and will, ignore inconvenient truths.

Yes, I am still waiting for an effing reply to my complaint about parking charges.

Anyway, dragging meself off of me hobby horse my point is that if smoke, mirrors and general half truths are employed to obscure fact in something as simple and objective as residents parking then something as esoteric and subjective as Arts and Culture opens up whole new continents of incompetence opportunities.

As far as the councillor goes, a worthy cause has been glossified and turned into an opportunity for yet more witless trumpeting of 'insert political party of choice' are shite and we're not cos we support everything good and they support everything bad, we are going to connect with you, we are going to empower you, we are the only source of goodness in Wiltshire and we can tell you this in 9 languages and we are very keen on vibrating etbloodycetera. He was happy to slobber all over it when he thought it was good, he must now assume the position now it has been exposed as vapid cobblers.

I know it is not fashionable to take responsibility for errors, but I live in hope.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

The resulting increase in charges was heralded by several pronouncements from some glove puppet and they were without exception completely inaccurate bollocks. Nobody had started paying less, no extra provision was made by sbc, it was a simple and expedient accounting trick

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see your words proved completely accurate very shortly.

Offline cnen

• Hello !
Re: Swindon's Culture: Where is it, what is it and who's responsible for it?
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:23 pm »
Geoff, sharing some of your concerns, and enthusiasm. Just to let Swindon writers know, a free Poetry Competition is open now to all Swindon residents 14 and over. Run by volunteers and judged anonymously. The purpose is to weasle Swindon poetic talent out and let their voice be heard above the noise of urban haste. A chance for everyone outside cultural clicques in Swindon. Google Battered Moons Poetry Competiton to find information posted by the Poetry Library in London.

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
Press release received today from Swindon Borough Council:
Swindon is the ideal haven for culture vultures

People in Swindon are taking a greater interest in the arts, according to a national survey.

Events such as the Radio 1 Big Weekend have seen more and more people in the town attend performances or artistic activities over the past year.

Swindon was one of 35 Local Strategic Partnerships who chose to increase engagement in the arts and is the only council in the South West to exceed its target and one of just eight nationally.

More than 43% of people in Swindon attended at least three performances or activities during the last 12 months thanks in part to Swindon Does Arts, an exciting new plan which aims to get everyone in Swindon actively engaged in great arts activities.

Swindon Borough Council initially set a target of engaging 39.8% of residents in the arts in its Local Area Agreement. The statistics were derived from a national telephone survey by Ipsos Mori.

During the past year, a range of successful activities and events have been delivered under the Swindon Does Arts banner, including Radio 1’s Big Weekend at Lydiard Park and the Fringe week leading up to the music festival.

The Swindon Does Arts ‘Summer Event’ also helped local arts organisations learn more about developing their audiences, while local artist Ken White also restored one of Swindon’s landmark pictures when he repainted the Golden Lion Bridge mural. Swindon was also chosen by The National Association of Local Government Arts Officers (NALGAO) to host its annual conference in October.

Cllr Phil Young, Cabinet Member for Culture, Regeneration and Economic Development, said: “We are committed to getting as many people as possible engaged in the arts and these figures are testament to the hard work being carried out by the Swindon Does Arts team. We have had some fantastic events in Swindon over the last 12 months such as the Radio 1 Big Weekend, which the council played a major role in, and these have really put Swindon on the map.”

For more information on Swindon Does Arts email: hello@swindondoesarts.co.uk or sign up on the website www.swindondoesarts.co.uk

Happy Big Weekend festival goers below:

Admin edit: Picture attachment moved to permanent folder
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:27:17 pm by Dougal »

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
Hgngngngngng!  :tickedoff:

I think I'm about to burst

WHAT TOTAL BOLLOCKS!

Events such as the Radio 1 Big Weekend have seen more and more people in the town attend performances or artistic activities over the past year.

What a grandiose claim for the Big Weekend! Its something almost totally forgotten now - apart that is from the fact that virtually no local traders were even allowed into the arena, despite the now discredited claims from the council about the business which would be brought into the town.

WHAT BALLS!

'Such as' - so 'such as' that this press release mentions it TWICE - and only manages to name check one other cultural milestone (ironically, a really good one, thanks god, which cost very little) . Why? probably because the Big WeakSpend pissed away the vast majority of the arts budget in one headline grabbing, councillor trouser-bulging, BBC funding, hedonistic ego-fest.

The 'arts' as anyone who's not a complete idiot can clearly see IS A PLURAL. The ART-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S: NOT a justification for Swindon's tax payers to fund a SINGLE event which managed its attendance on the basis of a lottery, when the acts came from one very narrow band of appeal from within very very narrow band of genre. NOT when the event was stage managed by another tax funded body which should have organised the bloody thing at its OWN expense.

This pathetic clawing for credibility so long after the event shows how desperate the cheque-signaturies are to show some sort of return for the MASSIVE amount of cash tossed away now that the coffers are left totally bare.

Whats the bet that this weirdly timed release is a strategic move to sugar a soon-to-be-stuffed-down-our-gullets announcement of cuts to arts funding?

more and more people in the town attend performances or artistic activities over the past year.

WHAT OTHER EVENTS? The majority of 'other events' that there were were nothing to do with SBC - I REPEAT - BECAUSE THEY'D SPENT ALMOST ALL OF THEIR BUDGET. As usual, the things of real cultural value were self funded by the same individuals who are always left to their own devices to try and pull our town out of mundanety.

“We are committed to getting as many people as possible engaged in the arts

... as long as you define the 'arts' as the likes of Tim Westwood. Using that logic, why don't we start refering to our night clubs as theatres of music? The puking masses in Fleet Street at 1.30 as performance artists? It would be as equally ridiculous and utterly spurious.

There is so much artistic potential in this grey town that to allow politicians to hijack 'the arts' to pedal a short termist populist tax money wasting ego-w@nk instead of supporting their home-grown (but ignored and unsupported) talent or businesses MAKES ME .... Hgngngngngng!  :tickedoff:

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Provocoteur the Big Weekend was forgotten the following weekend.  The question should be did it represent value for money to the people of Swindon at a cost of an alleged £600,000?  I suggest not in the light of the projected budget cuts.

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
Quote from: swindonlinkman link=topic=3972.msg30410#msg30410 [b
Press release received today from Swindon Borough Council:[/b]
Swindon is the ideal haven for culture vultures
More than 43% of people in Swindon attended at least three performances or activities during the last 12 months thanks in part to Swindon Does Arts, an exciting new plan which aims to get everyone in Swindon actively engaged in great arts activities.

I helped them to hit that target, and it wasn't anything to do with their campaign. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 performances I attended last year. Two Mark Thomas gigs (I think Lynda deserves the credit there) and one by the local band Not Rocket Science (who don't even appear on SBC's radar, they seem to work on a grassroots / word-of-mouth network)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

Yes I probably exceeded the target as went to 8 or 9 events mainly at The Arts Centre ranging from Swindon Literature Festival, Mark Thomas, Lee Mack and Henry 'Blowers' Blofeld at the Wyvern.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
So what's happening with Swindon’s Big Village Fete that was being touted around by Swindon Does Arts last year?  It's all gone a bit quiet hasn't it.

THE SWINDON EVENT IS COMING IN 2010...

Swindon’s Big Village Fete

Lydiard Park, SwindonJuly 8-11th 2010

Music, stalls, dance, performances, community groups, art, and much much more..

Bringing Swindon together, Swindon Does Arts and partners are putting on a spectacular event showcasing Swindon and providing the opportunity for the town to come together.

If you are involved in a community group, local business, shop. association, or just want more information then email

info@swindonvillagefete.co.uk
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

Swindon’s Big Village Fete
Lydiard Park, SwindonJuly 8-11th 2010

Great timing!  The football world cup final is on 11th July!

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Happy Big Weekend festival goers below:
The face in that photo seems rather familiar - Mr Hunt, he of wi-fi and numerous other SBC pies I believe.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Hey kecl I am reliably informed that Councillor Keith Williams has said the Big Village Fete at Lydiard is cancelled.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Kecl, Richard

I have also heard that K. Williams who is on the Lydiard Management Board has confirmed with other parties that the event will not now be taking place. ;
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Kelc, Richard

I have also heard that K. Williams who is on the Lydiard Management Board has confirmed with other parties that the event will not now be taking place. ;)

So this is one organisation that is not chaired by Rikki Hunt!!

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
I have also heard that K. Williams who is on the Lydiard Management Board has confirmed with other parties that the event will not now be taking place. ;

Why? Blown the budget arts budget have they?

Did Rikki get his ticket allocated by the lottery process ....?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:38:44 am by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
Kecl, Richard

Oh, any idea why?

Seemed like a good idea to me, and would also help connect people!

Wonder if they spent much dosh on preparing for it last year?
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline swindonlinkman

To quote Swindon's Head of Culture in the recent Frequency magazine, 'the event originally publicised as the Big Village Fete has had a refocus and will now be the BIG Swindon Does Arts Day."

Date: 10 July, Lydiard Park

Offline swindonlinkman

Some nice Swindon Does Arts pictures at www.swindonlink.com like cultural hoola hooping below:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Bwhahahahaha..... yet more localised ammunition for Annie Snelgrove and Victor Argawal to lob during their election campaigns.

Using the picture of Rikki Hunt in their very latest 'Good News' press release, on top of the prospect of decent bun fights over the WiFi 'deal', SCS decoupling and the New, New Swindon Company as it tries to rise Phoenix like out of the still smouldering ashes of £7 million burned up by the Old New Swindon Company is an act of desperation publicity or political stupidity isn't it?

10 minutes with google or 5 with almost any employee or elected member of the council reveals the growing number of SBC pies Rikki Hunt has an interest in, and yet SBC have plastered him and (his wife?), onto their latest press release, both of whom are clearly wearing the R1BW VIP passes. No ticket lottery for Rod's mates tickets eh? 

At least Annie demonstrated the political wit to make public that should would not be at the R1BW trough. 

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.