Author Topic: New video from No2ID - "Take Jane"  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
New video from No2ID - "Take Jane"
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:24:40 pm »
This video is set in a plausible 2013 with the National Identity Register well and truly in place, complete with all its hooks into every facet of our lives.

It features a woman on the run from her husband, who has already managed to track her down once by obtaining her whereabouts from the NIR by means of bribery. In this video she speaks of her fears, and her dilemma between being fined £1000 (which she doesn't have) for failing to keep her NIR entry up to date, and providing the NIR with information that her husband can use to track her down again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1JqlvnZANA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/v1JqlvnZANA</a>

Please... don't let this happen.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

rob-magic

Re: New video from No2ID - "Take Jane"
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:18:44 pm »
Good video.

Hopefully this will add some perspective to those who think the DB state's ok because they have nothing to hide.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:09:25 am »

'Take Jane'

Personally speaking I'm not keen on the 'Take Jane' video.

I think NO2ID have scored an own goal with it, but before I expand on that I'd like to see if anyone else can see why I might think this.

On the plus side, any discussion of the National is useful.

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:42:21 am »
Personally speaking I'm not keen on the 'Take Jane' video.

I think NO2ID have scored an own goal with it, but before I expand on that I'd like to see if anyone else can see why I might think this.

The obvious one would be some factual error in the video about the detail of the ID Cards Act and government powers / citizen obligations thereunder. But I think that's covered by the fact that it's set five years in the future, and we already know the NuLabour government plan to legislate further on the subject if re-elected, for example to make enrolment on the NIR overtly compulsory, as opposed to the current (elastic dictionary) voluntary roll-out. And five years in the future could amount to two governments in the future - who knows who'll be in power by then and what they might want to build on top of that "enabling act"?

So I don't think it's that.

I guess it's around "Jane", and who would "take" her and how. I infer (although it's not explicitly stated) that Jane is the daughter of the protagonist and her estranged husband, and she is the subject of a custody battle. And while (short of some seriously warped legislating) the ID Cards Act and its successors may give the husband the illicit means to track them down and then take the daughter away by brute force, it wouldn't give him any legal right of custody. And possibly (depending on interpretation) the video implies that it would.

Am I barking up the right metaphorical tree?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:57 am »
I infer (although it's not explicitly stated) that Jane is the daughter of the protagonist and her estranged husband, and she is the subject of a custody battle. And while (short of some seriously warped legislating) the ID Cards Act and its successors may give the husband the illicit means to track them down and then take the daughter away by brute force, it wouldn't give him any legal right of custody. And possibly (depending on interpretation) the video implies that it would.

Right tree, wrong perspective, I think. It is in those cases where the mother is illegally preventing the father from having access to the child that this is an own goal. Any father who is in that position, or thinks (even if wrongly) that they are in that position might look at this and think yes, ID cards are a good idea.

They'd have done beter if they had portrayed someone with a stalker. It would highlight the same issues in relation to the database, but without the emotive issue of child custody getting in the way.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:32 am »

I guess it's around "Jane", and who would "take" her and how. I infer (although it's not explicitly stated) that Jane is the daughter of the protagonist and her estranged husband, and she is the subject of a custody battle. And while (short of some seriously warped legislating) the ID Cards Act and its successors may give the husband the illicit means to track them down and then take the daughter away by brute force, it wouldn't give him any legal right of custody. And possibly (depending on interpretation) the video implies that it would.

Right tree, wrong perspective, I think. It is in those cases where the mother is illegally preventing the father from having access to the child that this is an own goal. Any father who is in that position, or thinks (even if wrongly) that they are in that position might look at this and think yes, ID cards are a good idea.

They'd have done better if they had portrayed someone with a stalker. It would highlight the same issues in relation to the database, but without the emotive issue of child custody getting in the way.

Both in absolutely the right tree.... and my perspective is:

With the 'Baby P' and the Shannon wossername cases all over the media, what this video inadvertently does, (in my own meagre opinion), is to highlight that the public expectation is now to prioritise child protection issues above the civil liberties and custody rights and concerns of adults.

The video would have been far more effective without any references to a child whatsoever.  Had the video been about a woman trying to evade a stalker, rapist or violent partner it would be quite powerful. As it stands it's almost making the case for increasing state surveillance/monitoring of all parents under the banner of child protection, i.e 'the 'Contactpoint' database, (a.k.a the Childrens Index).

I won't stray too far into Fathers for Justice territory, but without a specification indication that the husband has committed cruelty/abuse/violence on either his wife or the child, we ought to assume at least the potentiality of innocence on his part and therefore also that he might have a perfectly legal right to know where his child is, if indeed 'Jane' is his child.

The 'bribery' suggestion plays firmly into the hands of the Governments primary case for strengthening laws against the whistleblowing and leaking going on elsewhere.....and these laws will then extend to cover employees and contractors on the national identity register and wider scheme. 

The suggestion of official incompetence would have been far more plausible... and more difficult for HMG to spin into suiting it's own pro NIR and pro ID propaganda.

I fear that NO2ID have stooped to imitating the Home Office's methods....when it didn't need to.

Offline Krippers

• Power chord of discord is my chord
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 03:30:41 pm »

The suggestion of official incompetence would have been far more plausible... and more difficult for HMG to spin into suiting it's own pro NIR and pro ID propaganda.

I fear that NO2ID have stooped to imitating the Home Office's methods....when it didn't need to.

I agree, it would have been far better to portray the complete farce that the process will be. I'm certain an accurate expression of something like the interview process and the initial cost and the ongoing cost of not updating it and the inevitable failure to keep the information safe would have been far more effective. In my opinion just exposing people to what they will have to pay and what they 'get' for their money would be enough to turn any stomach. Does anyone have a list of questions that may be asked at the interview stage of application? I have an amateur film maker in the background that could assist and I could probably do the screen write for it.
In a world bereft of hope, lost to immeasurable inhumanity,   entrenched in commercial exploitation, devoid of hope, where's my underpants?

rob-magic

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:25:14 pm »
Anyone else seen a movie called 'Eagle Eye'?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.