Author Topic: Jacqui Smith: public demand means people will pre-register for ID cards  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
Jacqui Smith says public demand means people will be able to pre-register for an ID card within the next few months.

The cards will be available for all from 2012 but she said: "I regularly have people coming up to me and saying they don't want to wait that long."

The fact that she can be so apparently out of touch with the vast majority of educated and expert opinion was concerning, became funny... and is now downright sinister...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7712275.stm
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Jacqui Smith: public demand means people will pre-register for ID cards
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:16:54 pm »

'Available for all'

What an interesting turn of phrase.

Suggests to me that HMG has finally realised its salami-slicing approach to 'designating' 'trusted' groups of the population for early 'enrolment' has been a massive own-goal and we will now see a huge face-saving/marketing exercise to re-present I.D card ownership, and having your life digitally monitored, stored, picked over and data-mined, as being something we should find desirable.

Hmmmm. I think they're out of favour, out of luck, out of money and nearly out of time.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:24:12 am »

For the Conservatives Mr Grieve said his party would axe the whole scheme because it was "a complete waste of money" and had asked for "break clauses" to be inserted into government contracts so it could be ended "without massive cost and waste to the public purse".

Given that the meaning of 'cost and waste to the public purse' has been so utterly redefined by Gordon and his chums in he banking sector..... and that the government almost certainly will not insert any break clauses into contracts.....

....I wouldn't be too outraged if the 'public purse' coughed up the £5.1 billion, (that the government claims is the cost of the scheme), to permanently kick said scheme into the long grass.

This, of course, is when we would find out that the goverment has lied about the true cost of the scheme and that he London School of Economocs £20 billion estimate was bang on the money.

When we compare what is being trotted out by Jaqui Smith now, against previous statements from other home secretaries, we can see a clear audit trail of lies, deceit and bullshit.

Still, at least the charade of a Nu Labour Government being anything other than a bunch of authoritarian Marxists who employ double-talk and sly marketing to con the populace, is being exploded as we watch. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:46:24 am by Geoff Reid »

Offline Krippers

• Power chord of discord is my chord
Check my maths
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:04:59 am »
Check my maths

The number of people of working age in the UK as of 2007 was seen to be 62% of total population

36,000,000 employable age.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=6

The number of economically inactive people of working age is 7.89 million

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=12

28,110,000 employed.

cost of the ID card £20,000,000,000

So, to make this thing appear, for no justified or justifiable reason, the bill for every single working person will be about

£711

It makes no odds what the Government says, ultimately this is the cost, the money doesn't come from some secret finance fund that the government have access to and we don't. This is the bill, this is the cost, there is no ambiguity, it this government want to do this, that's how much we have to pay. It makes no odds if some puerile faceless wonder parks their ineffectual backsides in front of a camera and claims how the low paid are going to get relief and how business will absorb the cost by 'using' the database. The final analysis is that the money has to come from us.

Have I got this wrong?
In a world bereft of hope, lost to immeasurable inhumanity,   entrenched in commercial exploitation, devoid of hope, where's my underpants?

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:34:52 am »
Who on earth has Jacqui Smith been talking to?  Labour Party activists in closed meetings?!  :bash:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:58:12 am »
Who on earth has Jacqui Smith been talking to?  Labour Party activists in closed meetings?!  :bash:

This is fed upwards from heavily biased doorstep conversations with Nu Labour activists who misrepresent the efficacy of I.D cards to elicit the 'correct' response from householders.

In fact, Mrs Snelgrove included herself in the above category when she admitted on the politics show:

" When I talk to people on the doorstep they're not anti-I.D card if it stops illegal activities, stops crime, stops identity theft, they're all for it...."

You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out what she has been saying, or promising to householders.

...but don't take my word for it >>

[stream=475,325]http://www.talkswindon.org/no2id/video/snelgrove-bbcpoliticsshow.wmv[/stream]

It's very easy to get the 'correct' doorstep response if you ask the 'right' question.  Unfortunately, asking the 'right' question is to deliberately promote the lie that I.D cards will stop illegal activities, stop crime and stop identity theft. Clearly they do not, cannot and never will.

Jacqui Schmidts claims are balanced atop a house of cards and Anne Snelgrove is right up there teetering with her.

I will enjoy watching them fall.  I hope they land on that Blears woman....then I shall sing the 'Ding-Dong' song from the Wizard of Oz.

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »
Well they will be shocked at the public backlash when people are faced with the costs!

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 04:01:22 pm »
No, no they won't.

They have a clearer view of the public attitude to the National ID Card than any other interested body, the difference is that they are of a mind to press ahead anyway. The inane utterings of smith are a gentle counterpoint to the other interestings bendings of meaning and downright lies.

It is a feature of the present government and we all have our own list of examples in mind. I would suggest 10p tax, Lisbon Treaty Referendum and the Kelly affair as examples.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:21 pm »
..As are:

Invisible Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, post offices, the NHS spine, complicity in rendition...

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »
Recycling.

I also predict, Olympics, troop number fudging between Iraq and Afghanistan, whatever mandelson does next, dumbed down education, the financial rescue package that goes 'KAF*CKING BOOM!', the falling out with Obama, a pension collapse, power cuts, more flooding and any number of things that are global in nature and therefore not gordnon's fault.

Nothing is ever gordnon's fault and he he has surrounded himself with people who have to believe that, weak minded and plainly stupid, except for a couple of dangerous opportunist types he seems to tolerate.

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:22:55 am »

Nothing is ever gordnon's fault and he he has surrounded himself with people who have to believe that, weak minded and plainly stupid....

Funny you should say that....

I was listening to R4's 'Any Questions' t'other night.   The panel consisted of:

Rt Hon ROSIE WINTERTON MP: Pensions Minister

Rt Hon JOHN REDWOOD MP: Chairman of the Conservative’s Economic Competitiveness Policy Group

BARONESS (HALEH) AFSHAR, OBE: Professor of Politics and Women’s Studies at York University (crossbench peer)

KEVIN MAGUIRE: Associate Editor of the Daily Mirror

Maguire was, is and always will be a pillock. Baroness Afshar a pleasant but dopey bint who couldn't find her arse without a tom-tom, which left John Redwood and Rosie Winterton as the only 'persons of interest'.

I've never liked Redwood, not in the slightest, but when you stand him side by side with Rosie Winterton and let them exchange a few blows you realise he is almost statesmanlike in comparison to her.

If you have 30 minutes spare, listen for yourself http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/anyquestions  (*when this listen again link expires the transcript will be available)

How did such a stupid, dangerously arrogant and apparently verbally incontinent troll end up as a Minister on Her Maj's Government?..... the answer, I believe, lies partly in her voting record:

Rosie's Voting record:

How Rosie Winterton voted on key issues since 2001 (They Work For You):

* Voted against a transparent Parliament               
    * Voted moderately for introducing a smoking ban.   
    * Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.               
    * Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals.       
    * Voted strongly for introducing student top-up fees.
    * Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.     
    * Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
    * Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
    * Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.   
    * Voted moderately for the hunting ban.   
    * Voted very strongly for equal gay rights.   

If blind loyalty to your political masters is the cornerstone of a 'successful' parliamentary career, (as opposed to being a successful, effective, well liked and respected constituency MP), then Rosie was perfectly groomed for the role.....

....and Anne Snelgrove certainly looked on course to snuggle between the greasy buttocks of Westminster Ministerial life.....(until, that is, the country began reaping what her boss and her colleagues have been sowing for the past decade). 

'Groomed' eh?, that conjures up some unfortunate similarities doesn't it?

:popcorn:

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
Re: Check my maths
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 06:24:53 am »
Check my maths

cost of the ID card £20,000,000,000

So, to make this thing appear, for no justified or justifiable reason, the bill for every single working person will be about

£711

Have I got this wrong?

No... It's about spot on.

However... the Govt., don't forget will be onto an earner, Access to an individual's data bu businesses will coin 20p a shot for the Govt.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.