Author Topic: Big Brother - He's RIPA mate!  (Read 925 times)

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
Big Brother - He's RIPA mate!
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:58 am »
Surveillance methods to tackle problems such as benefit fraud, fly-tipping and noisy neighbours were approved by councillors this week.

At a meeting of Hertsmere Borough Council’s executive on Monday, councillors approved guidelines to regulate the authority’s use of undercover and open devices, such as CCTV cameras, in its investigations.

The agreed policy sets out procedures governing the use of both secretive methods, such as concealed cameras and recording devices, as well as more overt surveillance such as officers in uniform and visible recording methods.

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/3745274.Watching_brief/
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Big Brother - He's RIPA mate!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:45:34 pm »

Hmmm....

A report compiled by Hertsmere officers states: “Use of surveillance needs to be carefully balanced against the risk of interference with human rights of both the person under surveillance, and others who may be caught by the surveillance activity.

“Failure to adhere to standards and procedures set out in the policy document could render the evidence gathered inadmissible in court.”

Sounds like they're more concerned with getting fines and prosecutions than they are with protecting an individuals human rights

Offline Mart

• Charter Member
  • Never fight an inanimate object.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »
What do you mean 'Sounds like'?

Don't believe cameras too much anyway, if I did I would believe in dinosaurs stomping around in Los Angeles, blokes with helmets and light sabres and that Brad Pitt is better looking than me.

Cash earner full stop and it's only a matter of time before the Police are absorbed into the Inland Revenue.
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »
What do you mean 'Sounds like'?

Well yeah, but......

....yeah, you're right.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.