Author Topic: 'Child protection' database exposed as police data mine  (Read 729 times)

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
'Child protection' database exposed as police data mine
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:07:51 am »
Lo and bloody behold - who'd have seen this one coming, eh?!  :bash:

A new database purporting to help protect vulnerable children could be used by authorities to gather evidence against them for criminal prosecutions, it has emerged.

The ContactPoint database is being promoted as a tool to ease cooperation between schools, social services and other authorites who hold information on kids. The £224m scheme is part of the government's "Every Child Matters" initiative, launched in 2003 in the wake of the inquiry into the murder of Victoria Climbié, whose abuse was repeatedly overlooked by authorities.

But now The Telegraph reports that ContactPoint will also serve as an investigative data mine until young people reach their 24th birthday. Guidelines on the databases' applications say archives will be available "for the prevention or detection of crime" and "for the prosecution of offenders".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/26/contactpoint_police/

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 'Child protection' database exposed as police data mine
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:02:26 am »

I've already said that this is what the government meant by 'detecting and solving crime'.

Every child, every parent, aunt, uncle, cousin, grandparent.......all on the database.

Every one of them a state suspect.

Unless you're a Member of Parliament or a celebutard.

robert feal-martinez

Re: 'Child protection' database exposed as police data mine
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:07:51 pm »
What I find ironic is that some still become 'shocked' and 'disgusted', at this sort of thing when will everyone learn that HMG are about total control. The Tories will be no different, they will not repeal anything that Labour puts in place. It's an unwritten code, don't rain on another Governments Parade, they may rain on yours. Of course UKIP would abandon any legislation that 'sort' to hold innocent peoples data other than for the purpose intended.

We are committed to abolishing ID cards, the Human Rights Act and any other piece of legislation currently being used to suppress the rights on innocent members of the public.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.