Author Topic: The power of platitudes...  (Read 776 times)

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
The power of platitudes...
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:04:54 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7580918.stm

We hear thousands of platitudes in daily life, and many are uttered to steer us away from scrutinising questionable practices, writes Katharine Whitehorn.

The great writer and journalist G.K. Chesterton once wrote that he had spent all his life finding out that platitudes were true.

And maybe some of them are, though quite a few are ambiguous. "Ne'er cast a clout till May is out" - no-one seems to be sure whether it's until the May tree is in bloom, or the month of May is over.But some platitudes are all wrong - "No smoke without fire" for instance, as any teacher smeared for life by a spiteful child knows only too well.

If your DNA's on the police database and shows up at a crime scene, you're a suspect right away even if you just delivered a pizza to the victim
And there is one platitude going around which is seriously damaging. Whenever doubts about nationwide computerised health records or DNA banks or ID cards or biometric passports come up, someone will smugly say: "If you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to worry about."

Oh no? What about the news item in last week's papers that the police have kept the DNA records of 40,000 children who are innocent? And at the end of July some research by the Human Genetics Commission, funded by the Home Office, led to the Telegraph headline: "One million innocent Britons 'criminalised' says damning report."

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: The power of platitudes...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 06:02:02 pm »

Katherine Whitehorn

I was on my way into London the other night when I heard Katherine Whitehorn read her 'Point of View'....and it was probably the 5th or 6th time that week I'd heard different parts of our Labour governments plans to turn Britain into the worlds largest physical, moral and intellectual prison.

Apart from being pleased that more and more people who are in positions to easily and vocally challenge the bollocks spouted by Government ministers are now doing so, I couldn't help but think of something I heard an SBC Councillor say recently:

"This Government thinks Orwell's 1984 is a 'how to' guide...."

Offline peach

Re: The power of platitudes...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:18:41 am »
Jacqui Smith's 'Stasi': Now even more council jobsworths can demand your details and issue fines :: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1049520/Jacqui-Smiths-Stasi-Now-council-jobsworths-demand-details-issue-fines.html (Yes it is the Daily Mail - not my paper of choice, shame on me!)...

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.