Author Topic: Cheif Constable warns against ID Cards  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Cheif Constable warns against ID Cards
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:43:39 pm »

SUFFOLK'S most senior policeman last night questioned whether controversial ID cards would be the solution to major crime - saying they could become the “gold standard” for hackers.

The Government could make the cards compulsory from around 2010 in a bid to crack down on terrorism and organised crime - but Suffolk's Acting Chief Constable Colin Langham-Fitt has voiced his doubts over their use.

He called for a full debate over the creeping increase in surveillance, saying people needed to take a “step back” to assess whether it made them feel comfortable and safer.

But he warned ID cards could even change the relationship between the police and the community, if officers are seen as “agents of the state”.

Mr Langham-Fitt, who stressed his comments were his personal views and not those of Suffolk police, said ID cards could become prime targets for hackers, who could pay huge amounts to clone them or break into the data-holding system.

He added: “They could become the gold standard of ID crime. It could raise the standards and stakes for those who wish to clone them or subvert the system.”

The risk was that they would be “oversold” as a solution to major crime, which could lead to “defences being let down”, he said.

“There should be a debate about the ongoing erosion of civil liberties in the name of the fight against terrorism and the fight against crime,” Mr Langham-Fitt said.

“Are we all happy to have our cards monitored wherever we go, to be on CCTV and to have our shopping tracked? With all this surveillance available, the question needs to be asked - are we happy with that? Does it make us feel better and safer?

“I haven't got the answers but I would welcome the debate - a debate beyond the clichéd response of 'if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about'.”

He added: “Every measure like this is going to impinge on civil liberties. The debate has to be had - are these sensible precautions in a dangerous world or are we reacting to things in the belief they will solve them but at the end of the day they might not have any impact.”

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED16%20May%202007%2020%3A54%3A20%3A473

A man who clearly does not put his career before all else.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Cheif Constable warns against ID Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
Hi Zippy

A man who clearly does not put his career before all else.

You are right it is not about his career, he on taking office, will have sworn an oath  the Met officers have to swear another Oath to protect the Queen and Royal family heirs and successor.

AFFIRMATION - POLICE OFFICER

I........................DO SOLEMNLY - SINCERELY AND TRULY DECLARE AND
                        AFFIRM - THAT - I WILL WELL AND TRULY SERVE - OUR SOVEREIGN LADY
THE QUEEN - AS A POLICE OFFICER WITHOUT FAVOUR OR AFFECTION - MALICE OR ILL-WILL - UNTIL I AM LEGALLY DISCHARGED - THAT I WILL SEE AND CAUSE - HER MAJESTY'S PEACE TO BE KEPT AND PRESERVED - AND THAT - I WILL PREVENT TO THE BEST OF MY POWER - ALL OFFENCES AGAINST THAT PEACE - AND THAT - WHILE I CONTINUE TO BE A POLICE OFFICER - I WILL - TO THE BEST OF MY SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE - DISCHARGE ALL THE DUTIES THEREOF - FAITHFULLY - ACCORDING TO LAW.

Clearly they are not agents of the state.

All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:09:26 pm »
Hi zippy
I must apologise for taking your name in Vane, and admin, I can confirm that it is was the posting put up by Lynda I was actually referring to. This was a complete slip of the keyboard.  :knuppel2:
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:32:26 pm »
Hi zippy
I must apologise for taking your name in Vane, and admin, I can confirm that it is was the posting put up by Lynda I was actually referring to. This was a complete slip of the keyboard.  :knuppel2:

Hi Stevie.

no offence taken for this slip, no apology needed , - although you have been a bit of a harsh critic of mine on other threads, maybe you want to trawl through some of those?
Still... I live in a muzzle free world, you I read do not.

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:38:34 pm »
Also...

Quote from: ZDNet
Langham-Fitt said that having an ID database would not work as a counter-terrorist measure because terrorists would mask their identities. "We are at risk from insider threats and card cloning. The idea the card can be used to fight terrorism is completely fatuous. This scheme is convenient for government, but not for citizens," said Langham-Fitt.

The police chief said that, if hackers can break into Nasa, then there is no such thing as total security, and that the cost of the scheme (£5.7bn) is "a huge cost to subject people to".

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39287089,00.htm?r=1
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.