Author Topic: Is this the death knell?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Krippers

• Power chord of discord is my chord
Is this the death knell?
« on: May 12, 2007, 02:29:23 pm »
Is it finally going to be the case that ID cards die with Blair, after the illegal fiasco of the updated ID card projections release being a month late, I was concerned that this was not wholly Blairs puppy as it seemed that they intended to remain pushing this through under smokescreens which in essence would mean that it was to be taken seriously even after Tone did a walk into the wilderness of his own making. But no, then this http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,2077821,00.html pops it's head up and I am smiling a little on the inside as it rather does look like the day Blair walks, the ID card walks with him.

Here's hoping.
In a world bereft of hope, lost to immeasurable inhumanity,   entrenched in commercial exploitation, devoid of hope, where's my underpants?

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
Re: Is this the death knell?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:57:26 pm »
Although there was a snippet on R4 this morning with Gurdiron Brown saying , yes he would press on with ID cards,
I too have a slightly warm feeling.The first step in a long game?

Meanwhile back at the asylum fringe, the Home Office newswire is clear about the current direction...

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/news/new-home-office

The new Home Office: Protecting the public, securing our future

9 May 2007

A leaner, more focused Home Office starts today, and a blah-blah-blah.....

Protecting the public

The Home Secretary said the Home Office will now devote all of its attention to its most important role: protecting the public.

'The newly formed Border and Immigration Agency will build on successes in bringing asylum claims to their lowest level in 10 years, and removing record numbers of people who have no right to be here,' he said.

'We will build a national ID card scheme to combat illegal immigration, organised crime and international terrorism, and we will continue to deliver on our commitment to protect the public from crime and anti-social behaviour.'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Is this the death knell?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 06:23:14 pm »
Hmmm, it won't be long until the word 'land' is added to the 'Home' tag.....

...and 'Office' completely replaced by 'Security', or perhaps even a mix of the two.

'Homeland Security Office' even.

And no, I don't think this signals the begining of the end for the National Identity Register, perhaps a relaunch or rebranding is in the offing though.

A 'stripped down' scheme may be under consideration, which would really be nothing more than the already proposed 'early variant'.

Brown has already signalled that he intends to finance the scheme by selling access to personal data to interested parties. If the 'business case' for the scheme still holds water, and the treasury still anticipates turning a profit..........his Scottish 'prudence' gene will be sending his miserable, control freak heart all the right signals.

Nothing short of repealing the Identity Cards Act 2006 will do.

It ain't over 'til Anne Snelgrove sings......

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.